Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:13 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,343 times

Advertisements

The Marietta Daily Journal - News, Sports, Classifieds, Businesses in Marietta, GA

Removed - do NOT repost (copy/paste) text from news articles as this violates legal copyrights. Just post the link to the articles.

Marietta considers 2-story limit in central district *| ajc.com

Removed - do NOT repost (copy/paste) text from news articles as this violates legal copyrights. Just post the link to the articles.

Personally I think a limit 2 stories is a bit ridiculous. Three story buildings have existed on the Square before, and even four story buildings wouldn't "destroy" the Square. I think it's more unfortunate that they weren't able to at least incorporate the facade of the historic building into a new structure (which I doubt will get built any time soon). One side of Marietta's Square has already been lost to crappy buildings (government center), it's paramount to preserve the remaining historic fabric. But to be fair, the renderings for the proposed building aren't terrible. I just think it'll be a hole for a long time, a la SOB.
[LEFT]

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 10:28 AM

248 posts, read 648,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Personally I think a limit 2 stories is a bit ridiculous. Three story buildings have existed on the Square before, and even four story buildings wouldn't "destroy" the Square. I think it's more unfortunate that they weren't able to at least incorporate the facade of the historic building into a new structure (which I doubt will get built any time soon). One side of Marietta's Square has already been lost to crappy buildings (government center), it's paramount to preserve the remaining historic fabric. But to be fair, the renderings for the proposed building aren't terrible. I just think it'll be a hole for a long time, a la SOB.
I agree. Limiting the height to two stories is pretty ridiculous considering the government buildings and the adjacent parking garage already exceed that. I can understand them having a problem with a new five-story building, but it seems they could compromise and just knock it down to a three or four story structure and still have it not be out of place.

It could be that Marietta still feels the sting from those inappropriately out-of-place government buildings on the east side. I remember when those were built (I grew up there) and it was sad to see how badly they mixed in with the existing historic facades. The city might be overly sensitive about the appropriateness of new construction because of that.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:43 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,343 times
Was the old courthouse just torn down or did it burn first?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:55 AM

66 posts, read 182,845 times
Can someone explain the appeal of building height limits? I've never understood why the majority of metro residents are against tall buildings

Old 11-29-2010, 08:53 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSavage View Post
Can someone explain the appeal of building height limits? I've never understood why the majority of metro residents are against tall buildings
Are they? I like skyscrapers.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:04 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
There's a huge difference between a skyscraper and a 5 story building...

Old 11-30-2010, 12:04 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
I agree. Good stuff. They should go higher. Marietta Square has a lot of promise for growth. If tax breaks and more support was given, Marietta Square could grow bigger than 5 Point and I could really see that.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
God forbid Marietta gets some larger buildings and starts to look a little more like--gasp--Decatur or Athens!

I mean, I guess I can see banning 5+ story buildings, but 2 stories is a ridiculous limit. Better yet, just have a careful zoning ordinace for the area that prevents parking structures abutting the street and requires certain sidings. The presence of an 8-story brick building would probably just enhance the area.

As usual, the government's miserable failures of buildings did far more damage than anything the private sector wants to do. Same old story. That's one thing small town Georgia has going for it--most cities didn't get a big revenue influx when people moved into the city, so they had no resources to replace their downtown with a Municipal Administration Fortress as so many suburbs have done.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 AM

396 posts, read 601,597 times
i don't get it - marietta has a lot of potential to improve, but people are actually saying that 5 stories is too tall?! there are already 4 or 5 5 story buildings, another 5 story parking deck and even a 10 story residential block (though not right on the square itself)

royal oak, a similarly sized suburb of detroit, managed to put up an 18 story tower without much fanfare, even considering it has a super-ugly 5 story parking podium integrated into it.

THE FIFTH Royal Oak :: Exciting Condominium Residences in Downtown Royal Oak, Michigan

5 stories is nothing. people are just crazy...

Old 11-30-2010, 12:22 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSavage View Post
Typically it's to preserve the character of a particular area. It works for some areas (e.g., downtown Charleston) and for others, it can seem somewhat arbitrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta