Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:26 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadInSuburbia View Post
For another perspective: Austin has done better than any other metro area in the USA during the recession.

Report: Austin recovering from recession better than any other U.S. metro area

Why is that? Why is a city that is unabashedly liberal, supportive of local small business, yet keenly intent on bringing in businesses taking advantage of a conservative approach to taxes at the state level (aka NO STATE INCOME TAX)...why do you think they're doing so much better than corporate-land ATL?

No, I don't think it's a coincidence. Policies led to this contrast.
You don't have to speculate; the article lists the reasons:

The report found that "Austin's continued attraction and retention of high-skilled human capital, its diverse set of export-based industries and its avoidance of the worst U.S. housing market excesses of the 2000s help explain its stronger-than-national performance"...

During the recession, Austin "was buoyed by its concentration in education and government services ... industries that were not as impacted by the downturn," the report found.

Austin also benefited from being in Texas, the report found, "where relatively conservative state lending regulations reduced the prevalence of speculative mortgages that, in other parts of the nation, produced rampant home foreclosures and severe house price and employment declines."

That last reason in particular is a huge reason why Austin is currently performing better than Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSQQST View Post
So you give up having a life to defend Atlanta on City-Data? I'm only on this board when I'm stuck here in my hotel miserable and hating my job for taking me to Atlanta. When I'm home or in other cities I'm out meeting people and having a gay old time.

Why is Atlanta so important to you? And why do you hate New York, DC and Boston? You seemed threatened by real cities with character, culture, shopping, density, infrastructure, excellent architecture, independent restaurants and shops. Why is this? Why would you find cookie cutter strip malls be to more appealing? As a gay white male, which you've told me you are, why do you surround yourself in a boring old suburban wasteland dotted with a few empty skyscrapers and embroil yourself in Atlanta and Georgia's primitive racial politics? The fat, white southerners in Georgia hate you because you're gay. The black majority in metro Atlanta hate you because you're white. Why subject yourself to this obvious misery when you could be in some of the finer cities of this nation.

Atlanta will never densify. I get a rep point message from someone today telling me that everyone moving to Atlanta is ghetto and on section 8 and from what I see around me when I have to visit here, that could very much be true. Maybe you're on this board so much because you have nothing else to do afraid to go out for fear of being mugged by drag queens or booed and hissed at at a gay bar for being white or low on funds because the economy in Atlanta sux? Just leave, Mary. Leave for greener and gayer pastures and you'll probably find yourself on this board a lot less.
It would be different if you actually were saying something that are closer to reality.However the fact that Atlanta has the faste growing population out of U.S. cities and has reasched its highest population in history just gives you no credibility.Add to the fact that one the largest concentration of gay couple and single gays (top 3 actually) is in Atlanta.

If everyone is ghetto in Atlanta I suppose that explains the higher than normal graduation rate,percentage of population with Degrees,the fastest millionaire population,the wealthiest blacks household in America and the fastes growing Korean and East Asian population in America.

you know what you are even worth the time.Sit and be miserable.I can go anywhere in the world and find something great about a place.I would not dare let anybody or anything stop me from what I wanna do.I suppose its a study in what that says about YOU more than the place you inhabit.It seems very sad and lonely to be you.Truth is had you asked Im sure many people would love to show you around but I guess if they haven't then something is not right.Maybe you should look within yourself to see what type of energy you put out?"You get what you give"

Old 12-04-2010, 05:22 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I can go anywhere in the world and find something great about a place.

You are right--this statement is so true. I think the same way--and it has been proven to me time and time again.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:05 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You are right--this statement is so true. I think the same way--and it has been proven to me time and time again.
Ditto! I have been very fortunate to have seen most of North America, and a pretty big chunk of the world.

I have NEVER been anywhere where I sat in my hotel room, scared to death of my surroundings, while spending my time typing out vicious and hateful comments attacking the place and the people who inhabit it.

Sadly, some of our more recent contributors seem to lead absolutely miserable and beyond bitter lives. I truly feel sorry for these obviously lost souls.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:12 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
So you give up having a life to defend Atlanta on City-Data? I'm only on this board when I'm stuck here in my hotel miserable and hating my job for taking me to Atlanta. When I'm home or in other cities I'm out meeting people and having a gay old time.

Why is Atlanta so important to you? And why do you hate New York, DC and Boston? You seemed threatened by real cities with character, culture, shopping, density, infrastructure, excellent architecture, independent restaurants and shops. Why is this? Why would you find cookie cutter strip malls be to more appealing? As a gay white male, which you've told me you are, why do you surround yourself in a boring old suburban wasteland dotted with a few empty skyscrapers and embroil yourself in Atlanta and Georgia's primitive racial politics? The fat, white southerners in Georgia hate you because you're gay. The black majority in metro Atlanta hate you because you're white. Why subject yourself to this obvious misery when you could be in some of the finer cities of this nation.

Atlanta will never densify. I get a rep point message from someone today telling me that everyone moving to Atlanta is ghetto and on section 8 and from what I see around me when I have to visit here, that could very much be true. Maybe you're on this board so much because you have nothing else to do afraid to go out for fear of being mugged by drag queens or booed and hissed at at a gay bar for being white or low on funds because the economy in Atlanta sux? Just leave, Mary. Leave for greener and gayer pastures and you'll probably find yourself on this board a lot less.
johnatl defends Atlanta because elitists constantly try to bash and put down Atlanta. Atlanta is a dynamic, great city that has a lovely future in front of it. He also does not go around and bash other cities.

However, your posts are very racist, delusional, elitist, and myopic. Maybe these are your true character traits as well.

And more thing, TSQQT--you are jealous of johnatl.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:22 AM

88 posts, read 140,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Ditto! I have been very fortunate to have seen most of North America, and a pretty big chunk of the world.

I have NEVER been anywhere where I sat in my hotel room, scared to death of my surroundings, while spending my time typing out vicious and hateful comments attacking the place and the people who inhabit it.

Sadly, some of our more recent contributors seem to lead absolutely miserable and beyond bitter lives. I truly feel sorry for these obviously lost souls.
They why are you bartending in Atlanta of all places after seeing the whole world? Why would any white gay want to settle in Atlanta of ALL places? It makes little sense to me. It's just not fabulous for a white boy in Atlanta unless you like the mall or something.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:14 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
They why are you bartending in Atlanta of all places after seeing the whole world? Why would any white gay want to settle in Atlanta of ALL places? It makes little sense to me. It's just not fabulous for a white boy in Atlanta unless you like the mall or something.
Maybe he simply likes it here, or has friends here? I'm a hetero white boy, but I find the Atlanta area to be a very nice place to live. Lots of stuff to do here, and I haven't been a mall shopper for decades.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:39 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
They why are you bartending in Atlanta of all places after seeing the whole world? Why would any white gay want to settle in Atlanta of ALL places? It makes little sense to me.
Maybe because he doesn't have the same hang-ups you have. Expecting all White gay men to like the same things is just as silly as expecting all White people in general to like the same things. It's just stupid.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:35 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
Quote:

While Metro Atlanta does have a large black population, it isn't the majority. In some parts of town, it's a high majority. In others, it's much lower. You simply have likely been in areas where blacks are a majority. You'd think that you'd have booked rooms in places other than downtown. Of course, downtown is majority black. It's been that way since some time in the mid 1970s. It's whiter today than it was twenty years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta