Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:48 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
You don't realize what you're doing. Now you're comparing Charlotte to Portland. Portland is also larger than Charlotte. Charlotte has grown faster than Portland over the past few years, so its closed the gap a bit, but that's only very recently. Historically Portland has been a much larger place than Charlotte. You might as well rephrase your agruments to say, "Why isn't Charlotte larger?" Because that's really the only point you're making. As I said before, when you compare Charlotte to its true peer cities, places like Columbus, Indianapolis, Providence, Nashville or Milwaukee, again I say its very hard for you to say the city needs to "raise its image", or that its lacking in any way. BTW, have you seen the latest Fortune 500? Atlanta has 12 companies, Charlotte has 10, just two less. Your city is three times our size and we need to raise our imagine?
Charlotte's "image" is just fine as far as I'm concerned...I would like to see the city shed some of it's conservative reputation, and I think hosting the DNC is a move in that direction.

Most people in Atlanta don't normally compare these two cities, but some comparisons will arise simply because of their proximity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
[quote=Carolina Blue;19065642]You don't realize what you're doing. Now you're comparing Charlotte to Portland. Portland is also larger than Charlotte. Charlotte has grown faster than Portland over the past few years, so its closed the gap a bit, but that's only very recently. Historically Portland has been a much larger place than Charlotte. You might as well rephrase your agruments to say, "Why isn't Charlotte larger?" Because that's really the only point you're making. As I said before, when you compare Charlotte to its true peer cities, places like Columbus, Indianapolis, Providence, Nashville or Milwaukee, again I say its very hard for you to say the city needs to "raise its image", or that its lacking in any way. BTW, have you seen the latest Fortune 500? Atlanta has 12 companies, Charlotte has 10, just two less. Your city is three times our size and we need to raise our imagine?[/QUOT

He means raise its image to where people know where Charlotte is located and what its about its a great city but its really under the radar. It still has a NASCAR and banking image.. Charlotte will be just like Minneapolis, and Denver a great buisness city but with a lowkey profile.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post

He means raise its image to where people know where Charlotte is located and what its about its a great city but its really under the radar. It still has a NASCAR and banking image.. Charlotte will be just like Minneapolis, and Denver a great buisness city but with a lowkey profile.
Sometimes "under the radar" is an excellent place to live...

Old 05-09-2011, 10:49 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Sometimes "under the radar" is an excellent place to live...

I like that Keyword sometimes.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:26 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Under the radar compared to what city Mike? This is the same question I was asking before. Compared to its peer cities I find it very hard to believe someone could say Charlotte is "under the radar". Now, compared to much larger cities, that argument could be made. But that goes back to the point I made before. What you guys are bascially saying is, "Charlotte is not as large as I would like it to be."

Old 05-09-2011, 12:34 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Are you Charlotte folks sure you aren't borrowing a jack about Atlanta's perceptions of Charlotte? Everybody I know thinks of Charlotte as a big, exciting Southern city on the rise. There's no animosity whatsoever.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Are you Charlotte folks sure you aren't borrowing a jack about Atlanta's perceptions of Charlotte? Everybody I know thinks of Charlotte as a big, exciting Southern city on the rise. There's no animosity whatsoever.

Same here...there isn't really any reason NOT to think it.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:51 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Charlotte's "image" is just fine as far as I'm concerned...I would like to see the city shed some of it's conservative reputation, and I think hosting the DNC is a move in that direction.
I never really perceived that Charlotte had a "conservative" reputation, at least not along the lines of cities like Greenville and Jacksonville. Maybe not quite as liberal as Atlanta or even Raleigh, but not necessarily conservative either. In reality, the city is pretty moderate and I think that's good.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:52 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Same here...there isn't really any reason NOT to think it.
I third that. I am constantly baffled by the Atlanta vs. Charlotte discussions in C-D. I mean - so what? Each is a great city!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I never really perceived that Charlotte had a "conservative" reputation, at least not along the lines of cities like Greenville and Jacksonville. Maybe not quite as liberal as Atlanta or even Raleigh, but not necessarily conservative either. In reality, the city is pretty moderate and I think that's good.
It's not that the city itself is conservative (I don't really know), but that the population is more conservative in comparison to some other cities. I'm sure Billy Graham, NASCAR, and just being in the South helps further it, but it's a reputation that is pretty widely held.

I didn't mean that Charlotte is wildly conservative...it's not in Utah...but that it's on the conservative end of the scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta