Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:25 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Someone said earlier that the other museums in Charlotte are booming.So why should the NASCAR not even have HALF of the projected 800,000?
Because the attendance projection for NHOF was unrealistic while the other museums part of the Levine Center for the Arts had much more realistic projections. With that said, NHOF still posted a significantly higher attendance figure than the other museums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Because the attendance projection for NHOF was unrealistic while the other museums part of the Levine Center for the Arts had much more realistic projections. With that said, NHOF still posted a significantly higher attendance figure than the other museums.
Maybe so but for the fiscal year its operating on tax payer money.No one can be happy about that.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Maybe so but for the fiscal year its operating on tax payer money.No one can be happy about that.
No, but I was just telling you why the other museums were meeting their attendance projections and NHOF was lagging, which is what you asked about.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:40 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
I mean, its nascar lol...

Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I mean, its nascar lol...
I'm not turned on by NASCAR, but it's nothing to laugh about:

"NASCAR is one of the most viewed professional sports in terms of television ratings in the United States. In fact, professional football is the only sport in the United States to hold more viewers than NASCAR. Internationally, NASCAR races are broadcast in over 150 countries. NASCAR holds 17 of the top 20 attended single-day sporting events in the world, and claims 75 million fans who purchase over $3 billion in annual licensed product sales."
NASCAR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-05-2011, 10:58 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
The NASCAR Hall of Fame ought to be fine. Charlotte is a terrific city and, as you say, NASCAR is one of the most popular sports in the world. And by no means just in the South.

The museum just needs a little time to catch on. We are in the midst of the worst recession in 80 years.

It'll be interesting to see how some of Atlanta's new museums do.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:23 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:

But I was not trying to down Charlotte its just that I think a lot of people kinda saw this coming.Moving forward changes have to be made and Charlotte has to come up with more significant ways to market itself.That is what will take Charlotte to the next level.Any city without "passion" is just a place to live,not a place that lives in you.
More significant ways to market ourselves? Next level? What’s the next level? Charlotte just won the 2012 DNC, what’s bigger than that for a city Charlotte’s size?

Old 05-05-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
More significant ways to market ourselves? Next level? What’s the next level? Charlotte just won the 2012 DNC, what’s bigger than that for a city Charlotte’s size?
Personally, I think Charlotte has the right focus by becoming a more liveable city on a day-to-day basis as opposed to building a bunch of attractions just to entertain people for a day or two. Naturally more amenities that appeal to both residents and visitors will come as the city increases in size, but it would seem a bit inauthentic to build stuff solely for the sake of attracting tourists. Charlotte isn't that type of city at all.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:46 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Thats great!!Thats a major step in th right direction.Sounds really familiar from another cities playbook..... I just find it fascinating how people in Charlotte say they only look to Atlanta for what "not to do". While I'm sure thats true,but to say that cities looking to grow don't look in that direction of another city in the first place,is straight up untrue.They usually see somethings they find desirable to begin with.
Atlanta did it an does it by looking at NYC and D.C..Yet do you think Atlanta actually wants to be NYC?Hell no.Not even close.Somewhere in between for sure..but thats s far as it goes.

Charlotte's looks to Atlanta the same way.It its smart it will do a little of avoiding mistakes Atlanta has made but even smarter to follow the rule book of Atlanta.Charlotte has NO national identity.Atlanta 20 years ago and even a little today is still developing that for itself.Charlotte has to break out of the mold of being a "mini Atlanta".Its got to set its goals higher than even what Atlanta has.

What if Charlotte had come up with the idea for a BeltLine instead of Atlanta?They still can.If they did Charlotte would definitely rival Atlanta.It could be like Portland but with a higher corporate presence.What else does Portland have accept a great quality of life.That is what Portland is known for.Thats how it market itself.It works.It can work for Charlotte too.

I love Atlant for what it is and for where it seems to be going but if Charlotte could become the type of city I wanted to live in,then I would move there before I would move anywhere else.It has the general things that I like about Atlanta,it just needs to grow more.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Thats great!!Thats a major step in th right direction.Sounds really familiar from another cities playbook..... I just find it fascinating how people in Charlotte say they only look to Atlanta for what "not to do". While I'm sure thats true,but to say that cities looking to grow don't look in that direction of another city in the first place,is straight up untrue.They usually see somethings they find desirable to begin with.
Atlanta did it an does it by looking at NYC and D.C..Yet do you think Atlanta actually wants to be NYC?Hell no.Not even close.Somewhere in between for sure..but thats s far as it goes.

Charlotte's looks to Atlanta the same way.It its smart it will do a little of avoiding mistakes Atlanta has made but even smarter to follow the rule book of Atlanta.Charlotte has NO national identity.Atlanta 20 years ago and even a little today is still developing that for itself.Charlotte has to break out of the mold of being a "mini Atlanta".Its got to set its goals higher than even what Atlanta has.
This is true, and I actually think that Charlotte shares some of Atlanta's positive attributes and lacks some of the negatives. That's about how things should stand given the size differences.

Quote:
What if Charlotte had come up with the idea for a BeltLine instead of Atlanta?They still can.If they did Charlotte would definitely rival Atlanta.It could be like Portland but with a higher corporate presence.What else does Portland have accept a great quality of life.That is what Portland is known for.Thats how it market itself.It works.It can work for Charlotte too.
It makes sense for Atlanta to have a Beltline since it complements the existing MARTA rail system. Charlotte has only begun implementing light rail so it doesn't make sense right now for it to develop a Beltline; the focus should be on extending the coverage of Lynx and complementing it with commuter rail, BRT, streetcars, etc.--which is exactly what it is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta