Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:52 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times

Advertisements

Lovett is definitely a laid back school. I didn't go there, but I went to another area private school (Marist), and had a lot of friends there. You do have to where a uniform but even that is pretty lax. Westminister is uptight grade-wise and also has the snob factor, but no uniform. I doubt they have 11th grade admission though. Paideia is pretty laid back also. But for laid back private schools, the Ben Franklin Academy takes the cake. Those kids could make a private school party as fun as a public school one just by showing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 07:35 PM

11 posts, read 30,466 times
Follow-up question. How long would the commute be from the Walton High School area to Vinings? Best route?

Old 12-04-2010, 01:25 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
But for laid back private schools, the Ben Franklin Academy takes the cake. Those kids could make a private school party as fun as a public school one just by showing up.
LOL. Though we sometimes differ on this forum, gotta give you a rep for that. (Reminsing about school parties...oh the memories)
Sometimes I wish my school growing up didn't have to be the lone ranger and required uniforms, b/c growing up I really didn't a give a hoot about trying to figure out what to wear each day.

JohnsonAJDP: From Walton to Vinings if you take Roswell to 75 South getting off at cumberland I'd say about 20 minutes, with normal speed/driving conditions.

Last edited by ATLHRLGUY; 12-04-2010 at 01:40 PM..

Old 12-04-2010, 01:51 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
But for laid back private schools, the Ben Franklin Academy takes the cake. Those kids could make a private school party as fun as a public school one just by showing up.
My daughter is a graduate of Ben Franklin Academy. What she remembers is a lot of hard work, and not much partying. BFA is a school based on the concept of 'mastery' education; that is, no one moves on from any course until they have achieved an 'A' average. The program is very focused; those kids do a lot more than just party; in fact, the school is quite popular with prodigies and other high-intelligence students that wish to accelerate their curriculum in order to qualify for early entry into college. The record of achievement among BFA alumni is as impressive as any private school in GA.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:18 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My daughter is a graduate of Ben Franklin Academy. What she remembers is a lot of hard work, and not much partying. BFA is a school based on the concept of 'mastery' education; that is, no one moves on from any course until they have achieved an 'A' average. The program is very focused; those kids do a lot more than just party; in fact, the school is quite popular with prodigies and other high-intelligence students that wish to accelerate their curriculum in order to qualify for early entry into college. The record of achievement among BFA alumni is as impressive as any private school in GA.
Yes, BFA is a very good school, and it shows through the cost of tuition. Isn't the student-teacher ratio 2:1 or something like that?

The reason I associate it with excessive partiers is that many of my friends from Marist, Westminster, Woodward, and Lovett went there after they got kicked out for drugs or alcohol. It seems BFA is the only Atlanta private school that accepts smart kids who get expelled from other private schools for misconduct. These kids were super-spoiled and their parents basically rewarded their behavior by sending them to BFA, which was probably 10k more than the tuition at Marist, instead of forcing them to go to Cross Keys or North Atlanta. They were fun to hang out with in high school, but by college many of them were in rehab. I'm sure they were different than people who didn't go there as a result of expulsion though.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:49 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Yes, BFA is a very good school, and it shows through the cost of tuition. Isn't the student-teacher ratio 2:1 or something like that?
A typical class size is about 5:1 STR, arguably providing one of the strongest pedagogies in the city. My daughter has remained close with several of the teachers she had there, which I find rare.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:18 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
Galloway is very laid back and right across Chastain park. They all are filled with students who's realities are not what most Americans face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta