Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:58 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times

Advertisements

Cherokee delays decision on grad ceremony at church *| ajc.com

Now I'm an atheist and huge supporter of the separation of church and state, but I think this situation is over the top. Cherokee County holds its high school graduation in a church, due to the need for a venue large enough to hold the number of attendees, as well as the lower cost involved.

If during the graduation, there were officially sanctioned prayers, or there was an "in your face" attempt to include religion in the graduation, then I would agree that the venue is inappropriate. If it's just a building that happens to be used mostly as a church, then I don't see the problem personally.

Unfortunately, this kind of zeal on the part of the organization involved takes away from efforts to truly remove religion from public schools and keep private religious practices private. This doesn't cross the line in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 06:15 PM

876 posts, read 2,277,535 times
The church is being used as a building to accommodate a large number of folks, nothing else. I see this as a waste of time. If the person and their family doesn't like it, why can they just not attend graduation and get the diploma in the mail? Simple resolution.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:27 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,812,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
The church is being used as a building to accommodate a large number of folks, nothing else. I see this as a waste of time. If the person and their family doesn't like it, why can they just not attend graduation and get the diploma in the mail? Simple resolution.
Exactly. My graduation was held in a church (aaaaagh you'd think I could remember the name of it, but my mind just drew a blank - it'll come to me at 3 am ... just past the Big Chicken, towards the Square =P), and there was nothing religious about the ceremony. My class (Lassiter High '88) had ~850 students, and it was either the church or the LHS football field.

Coin toss, I guess. There wasn't any controversy.

Edit: Roswell Street Baptist Church! I had to Google it. Of course, Roswell Street is in Marietta, and there I was googling Marietta churches. Makes sense.

Last edited by Neemy; 12-03-2010 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Oops.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:47 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
I had both my high school & my two-year college graduations at a church. The SAME church in fact. To my knowledge, both of my Alma maters are STILL holding their respective commencement ceremonies in churches.

Then again, I guess the potential influences that religion may or may have on minorities isn't of much concern to many people. Oh well...

Old 12-03-2010, 07:57 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
I guess we can not use the Georgia Dome, Some of the Mega-Churches sometimes do a service there. Didn't the Pope do a service once in the Dome or Stadium? So I guess those are off the list to.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:33 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
It's not really a church but a hall/megachurch.. really a convention center. i bet you there isn't even a cross anywhere in sight. it's only a church when it comes to pay tax

i dont see a problem with it. it's not like they make graduation a religious service. imo there are bigger things to worry about if you are going to make an issue at all.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:01 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Cherokee delays decision on grad ceremony at church *| ajc.com

Now I'm an atheist and huge supporter of the separation of church and state, but I think this situation is over the top. Cherokee County holds its high school graduation in a church, due to the need for a venue large enough to hold the number of attendees, as well as the lower cost involved.

If during the graduation, there were officially sanctioned prayers, or there was an "in your face" attempt to include religion in the graduation, then I would agree that the venue is inappropriate. If it's just a building that happens to be used mostly as a church, then I don't see the problem personally.

Unfortunately, this kind of zeal on the part of the organization involved takes away from efforts to truly remove religion from public schools and keep private religious practices private. This doesn't cross the line in my opinion.
I totally agree with you on this one, Neil.

This is a non-issue, imo. People just need to chill a little.......

Old 12-04-2010, 10:33 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
It's not really a church but a hall/megachurch.. really a convention center. i bet you there isn't even a cross anywhere in sight. it's only a church when it comes to pay tax

i dont see a problem with it. it's not like they make graduation a religious service. imo there are bigger things to worry about if you are going to make an issue at all.
Here's somebody's graduation photo: Joe, receiving his diploma... on the jumbo-tron? | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chessiemonks/156044347/ - broken link)

There is a cross in sight, actually. On the other hand, I agree that the setting does look more like a convention center than a church. Perhaps the cross could be concealed by a screen or something, to make non-Christians more comfortable at secular events like graduation ceremonies.

I'm a Christian myself but concerned that we shouldn't be too quick to dismiss non-Christian discomfort with a church setting. On the other hand, this is a very reasonably priced and suitable-looking facility that's in the county. So I'd be in favor of a compromise such as screening the religious symbol(s) and continuing to use the facility.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:47 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I'm of the opinion shared by many that a building is just a building, no harm, no foul having graduation there. But, under the "get schooled" blog on the AJC, it's apparent that many people DO indeed have an issue with the setting.

Both of my kids graduated in the past couple of years from Milton. The ceremony was held in the football stadium. One year it drizzled, so we brought umbrellas. Was it hot? Sure, it's held in May in GA. People will survive the heat. If the drizzled changed to a downpour we had a rain date for the next morning.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:03 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Here's somebody's graduation photo: Joe, receiving his diploma... on the jumbo-tron? | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chessiemonks/156044347/ - broken link)

There is a cross in sight, actually. On the other hand, I agree that the setting does look more like a convention center than a church. Perhaps the cross could be concealed by a screen or something, to make non-Christians more comfortable at secular events like graduation ceremonies.

I'm a Christian myself but concerned that we shouldn't be too quick to dismiss non-Christian discomfort with a church setting. On the other hand, this is a very reasonably priced and suitable-looking facility that's in the county. So I'd be in favor of a compromise such as screening the religious symbol(s) and continuing to use the facility.
The non-Christians can deal with it. The U.S. is a majority-Christian country, and if they don't like it, they can move. We should force these people to live in Saudi Arabia or Iran - it would really put things in perspective for them.

No doubt the people complaining are the hyper-secular liberal atheists who are disgusted by any trace of Christianity, regardless of whether it's a graduation ceremony or a Christmas tree in the office lobby. Their ultimate goal is to sever the link between Western society and Christianity by completely erasing it from the public realm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: