Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:23 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,814,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Atlanta already has 24/7 local TV news ... It's called CNN.
*zing!*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 08:49 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
I also think that Air America seem to be trying too much to be the opposite of Fox News & Rush Limbaugh. They didn't have enough down-to-earth regular guy progressives that had popular appeal. They also didn't make any effort to deal with controversial issues that can be uncomfortably at times, like race, religion, & class.

One show on Youtube that I felt has done a decent job of tackling many of the issues of our day is the The Young Turks, with Cenk Uygur. He's been known to go toe-to-toe with some of these knuckle-dragging conservatives & easily knock down their arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Air America failed because it was never designed right with top talented liberal talk host. I am a liberal and it bored me to listen to it. I don't want to hear comics or intellectuals. I want to hear liberal talk show host that can go toe to toe fact to fact with conservatives and win. People like Bob Lassitter and Alan Berg used to be. Neither of them ever had a problem holding an audience. I feel that I am also talented enough for the job myself as well.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:34 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Air America failed because it was never designed right with top talented liberal talk host. I am a liberal and it bored me to listen to it. I don't want to hear comics or intellectuals. I want to hear liberal talk show host that can go toe to toe fact to fact with conservatives and win. People like Bob Lassitter and Alan Berg used to be. Neither of them ever had a problem holding an audience. I feel that I am also talented enough for the job myself as well.
I agree with this statement. Bob and Alan succeeded because IMO they were a different kind of liberal. I think the nature of liberalism has changed since their heyday. And just where are these brilliant liberal opponents that have the mettle to stand up to the conservatives? Most that I see flat out refuse a confrontation, preferring to spew their invective in a controlled environment. Those that will accede to a face to face usually resort to demagoguery and personal attack when backed to the wall.
Honest intellectual debate has 'left the building'. How can it stay when the players no longer stand on principle?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:54 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
*zing!*
lol-- The Weather Channel would be my favorite. Tired of the people involved in the delivery of the news and I hate commercials.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
lol-- The Weather Channel would be my favorite. Tired of the people involved in the delivery of the news and I hate commercials.
I love TWC! I'm actually fascinated by weather. When it's interesting weather, of course.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I love TWC! I'm actually fascinated by weather. When it's interesting weather, of course.
The weather is at times much more interesting than anything else. lol

I take great offense at being 'educated' to what members of the media might feel should be important.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
The weather is at times much more interesting than anything else. lol

I take great offense at being 'educated' to what members of the media might feel should be important.
I don't watch mainstream news, much, either. I go online for news. I am usually watching a dvd, or something else on tv.

My ex-husband would get frustrated with me, saying "Can we please watch something other than the Weather Channel?" and I'd say "Yeah! It's Shark Week on Discovery!!!"

So he'd go into the other room to watch televised poker.

I'm such a dork.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I don't watch mainstream news, much, either. I go online for news. I am usually watching a dvd, or something else on tv.

My ex-husband would get frustrated with me, saying "Can we please watch something other than the Weather Channel?" and I'd say "Yeah! It's Shark Week on Discovery!!!"

So he'd go into the other room to watch televised poker.

I'm such a dork.
lol--Can't go wrong with the Weather Channel. I hate almost everything else on TV--watching paint dry would be more interesting.

lol--There is music--I like all kinds of music so I Rock n Roll as much as possible.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
lol--Can't go wrong with the Weather Channel. I hate almost everything else on TV--watching paint dry would be more interesting.

lol--There is music--I like all kinds of music so I Rock n Roll as much as possible.
I need a new iPhone, because I can't fit all my music onto my 8 GB 1st gen!!!

Old 12-07-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I need a new iPhone, because I can't fit all my music onto my 8 GB 1st gen!!!
Speaking of 'News'--sigh--I feel the need to rant about the AJC. Just glanced at today's headlines. Among them---'Druid Hills High School Forced to Evacuate'.

Apparently there was a small fire/smoke in the ROTC building--taken care of ---no real problem. From the headline I assumed the school was burning to the ground. Looked at the other headlines---certainly seems the city is again on the way to 'H'.
'The sky is falling, the sky is falling'.

I suppose I can tune in to the evening news and learn that yes, indeed, there is little hope for anyone to live another day.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta