Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:17 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,052,202 times

Advertisements

Lawmaker wants to create Milton County *| ajc.com

What this translates to me:
"I don't want my rich area associated with the same county as those poor folks to the south."

Seriously though, wouldn't this cost a buttload of money in the middle of a recession? This seems like a stupid idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 06:11 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,780,561 times
Isn't this like the umpteenth time this has come up?

Stuff like this is going to be the death of this region, I tell you.

Fulton County now has more than 1 million residents, and it’s more than 80 miles long. Those facts, Milton County supporters contend, make the county ungovernable.

There are counties like this out West that do just fine.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:29 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,083,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Lawmaker wants to create Milton County *| ajc.com

What this translates to me:
"I don't want my rich area associated with the same county as those poor folks to the south."
It also says. "Yeah, we've been sucking money out of North Fulton". People in North Fulton feel they are not getting the services for which they are paying taxes.

Quote:
Seriously though, wouldn't this cost a buttload of money in the middle of a recession? This seems like a stupid idea.
I guess most of the cost will fall on the new Milton County to create a new government. Probably would have to compensate Fulton County for some things so Fulton may get a windfall. I've heard that Sandy Springs wants to join Milton too even though historically it was not part of the original Milton County. Johns Creek, Milton, and Sandy Springs outsource their government services except police and fire so maybe Milton County would take a similar approach. If they want to pay for it...let'em. We had new cities formed recently so why not a new county?

Fulton County is a strangely shaped county anyway that doesn't make sense. I'd break it up with the north being Milton (probably will be Georgia's most affluent county), the middle with Atlanta going to Dekalb (Dekalb looks like half a county anyway with that western straight north-south border), and South Fulton can be carved up between Douglas, Coweta, and combine Fayette and Clayton and also give it a piece of South Fulton. Central Fulton and Dekalb do make up so much of what is "Atlanta" so why not make it one?

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 12-06-2010 at 06:39 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 PM

183 posts, read 351,279 times
It's really all about the money $$.
I think a middle ground solution would be to have Fulton county GUARANTEE to Milton county supporters that a certain acceptable percentage of North Fulton tax dollars are actually spent for North Fulton.
It would be a tremendouse waste of resources IMHO to set up a new county and duplicate all the current existing agencies and offices....

Old 12-06-2010, 07:24 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,052,202 times
WABE: Milton County Battle to Resume When State Lawmakers Return Next Month (2010-12-06) (http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wabe/news.newsmain?action=article&ARTICLE_ID=1734112 - broken link)

Here is the NPR broadcast that I heard tonight that introduced me to this issue.

---------

And here is a recording of the ARC's recent discussions regarding Milton County. They go into it about how it would be a good thing and how it would be a bad thing. Interesting stuff.

WABE: Milton County Battle to Resume When State Lawmakers Return Next Month: A Web-Only Forum (2010-12-06) (http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wabe/news.newsmain?action=article&ARTICLE_ID=1734113 - broken link)

Old 12-06-2010, 08:18 PM

969 posts, read 1,950,399 times
This is what our lawmakers are focusing on? Shouldn't we all be working together to solve the issues in our region, not try to divide it more? Just another county that "hates Atlanta" but will owe its existence to it.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:23 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,282,240 times
Unfortunately not enough of the youth & transplants from states participate in these elections. The lawmakers who keep this crap up are those mostly from families who have been here at least 3 generations, & I'm pretty sure the same goes for the the kind of voters who keep putting them into office.

That's the mindset that you are dealing with under the dome. Always some civil war in the minds of the bubbas. But it's pretty much like that all over the south.

Outside of praying for increase voter particpation from the youth, the best that we all can hope for is that a progressive "strong man" comes up in the ranks of the political structure once in a blue moon & make a difference for all Georgians. An Ellis Arnall-type of politican.

We also need strong forward-thinking leadership outside of politics who can provide a powerful presence & the bully pulpit to match. A Henry Grady-type of business leader.

Sucks that it's like that, but such is the reality in which we live, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
This is what our lawmakers are focusing on? Shouldn't we all be working together to solve the issues in our region, not try to divide it more? Just another county that "hates Atlanta" but will owe its existence to it.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:22 PM

799 posts, read 1,090,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It also says. "Yeah, we've been sucking money out of North Fulton". People in North Fulton feel they are not getting the services for which they are paying taxes.

I guess most of the cost will fall on the new Milton County to create a new government. Probably would have to compensate Fulton County for some things so Fulton may get a windfall. I've heard that Sandy Springs wants to join Milton too even though historically it was not part of the original Milton County. Johns Creek, Milton, and Sandy Springs outsource their government services except police and fire so maybe Milton County would take a similar approach. If they want to pay for it...let'em. We had new cities formed recently so why not a new county?

Fulton County is a strangely shaped county anyway that doesn't make sense. I'd break it up with the north being Milton (probably will be Georgia's most affluent county), the middle with Atlanta going to Dekalb (Dekalb looks like half a county anyway with that western straight north-south border), and South Fulton can be carved up between Douglas, Coweta, and combine Fayette and Clayton and also give it a piece of South Fulton. Central Fulton and Dekalb do make up so much of what is "Atlanta" so why not make it one?
Even if Fulton County doesn't split it's still gonna go as usual, ya know?

The division is inevitable to see but it's sad that we can't come together and live equally but the repressed side of the track is always looked down upon in this old southern life that transcended generations and centuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Basically man

Old 12-07-2010, 12:01 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,797,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Isn't this like the umpteenth time this has come up?

Stuff like this is going to be the death of this region, I tell you.

Fulton County now has more than 1 million residents, and it’s more than 80 miles long. Those facts, Milton County supporters contend, make the county ungovernable.

There are counties like this out West that do just fine.
Yup, I remember this being brought up when I lived in North Fulton, in the mid-late 90s.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:09 AM

876 posts, read 2,268,228 times
I think I remember their wanting to split off into Milton back in the 1990s, too. I suspect it won't happen.

I do think that Georgia counties need some consolidation as there are too many of them, but these are in the rural areas where some smaller counties have a few thousand people, for instance. Those need to consolidate with the larger counties. I don't think that will happen either due to what the Georgia Constitution says about voting on changing the counties. Intra-county squabbles seem like a waste of time and are definitely divisive, but I am sure the tax issue is central to the argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta