Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:40 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times

Advertisements

What I find interesting is that this has still not made the local newscasts? Imo, this is a major story.

I'm guessing that since there wasn't some kind of a horrible crime issue related, the local news channels don't deem this as a major story.

This is a major mall basically shutting down. There are plenty of people that would support the right mix of redeveloped uses there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:16 PM

119 posts, read 302,208 times
Weeks ago I did see a story on Channel 2 when the electricity was turned off at the mall. I figured I'd soon see another story about the mall reopening but I never did, so I assumed I had just missed the story on the TV or in the AJC. I never would have guessed the mall closed. The report on Channel 2 said that Macy's and Sears had their own power meters, so if that wasn't the case I bet they would be closed now too.

The Union City city manager's press release announcing the mall was closing was issued November 24, the day before Thanksgiving. That might partly explain why we either missed the news or why the local news outlets themselves never reported the story. Also it's pretty clear that TV news and the AJC don't report much about what happens below I-20 in the metro area. Heck, it took the Fayette Citizen two weeks to report the story.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Agreed John. Reading this news online via the citizen.com from Savannah, my reaction was: WHY HAVEN'T I ALREADY HEARD OF THIS? I was the first to tell friends and family who live near there about it. But then, maybe that's the heart of the issue: A mall closes, and nobody notices or even seems to care. It just didn't matter. No wonder the place went out of business.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Havent' been there in years. Sad though, there wasn't much built around it but people drove to it. Now that the area has gotten tons more people they don't go to it.

The mall looked like crap anyway and really had the Flea Market feel. I believe crime was happening too much around there as well, scaring people off.

We have too many damn malls and I am shocked it wasn't closed earlier.
I agree with everything! Glad they closed it. Very low scale, cheap enviroment. Seemed to serve the ghetto shopper. The only thing that could save this called "mall" is WIC & EBT card users. Glad its closed for now.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:22 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I agree with everything! Glad they closed it. Very low scale, cheap enviroment. Seemed to serve the ghetto shopper. The only thing that could save this called "mall" is WIC & EBT card users. Glad its closed for now.
Sounds very much like a Jacksonville attitude to me. Are you actually opposed to a repositiononing to a more vibrant, mixed-use development?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:22 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,852 times
John anything is better than what it is now. I wouldn't be surprised people that moved there aren't even aware it exists. That big wal-mart is right next to it.

What is sad is all this sprawl. Builders continue to build on new lots/land instead of somehow buying old lots an fixing them. Then residents are stuck with EYE-SORES for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta