Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:51 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,918,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Was posted here

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...vine-city.html

I cannot stand Wal-Mart
Normally I would agree, but given that no other retailer is willing to give that neighborhood a chance I can only see this as good news. You have to imagine what it's like to live in that area for the residents. Their only option for getting food that isn't a little debbie cake or really old veggies that the corner stores in the area offer is to travel far outside their neighborhood. In that part of the city, that is a huge task as most of the residents do not own a car. Particularly for the elderly for whom a trip of a few miles to get groceries (that they then have to carry back on the bus or train to their house) is a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
I'm really torn on this. I'm not one to assume that any development = good development. There ARE better and worse companies for communities, employees, the environment. And Wal-mart has a generally awful, awful track record on all of those fronts.

Moreover, there is already a Wal-Mart a couple of miles north on Howell Mill @ I-75. Does Atlanta really need ANOTHER one that close?

That being said--from what I've read on these forums, this area has struggled to have anyone take a chance on it in terms of development. So, the question here may actually be, "Is any development better than no development for the foreseeable future?"

I'm not sure how to answer that . . . though if forced, I'd probably say yes.
I would be more concerned about it if the city did not seem to be actively involved in it's planning. It seems however that the Mayor and the city council are working with Walmart to make sure it fits into the neighborhood the best way possible...instead of Walmart just plopping down a big store with a big parking lot in front of it with no thought or care given to the neighborhood in which it's meant to serve.

Last edited by waronxmas; 12-13-2010 at 11:14 AM..

Old 12-13-2010, 10:58 AM

3,698 posts, read 5,946,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
This is awesome news for the Westside! It is also good because a Super Wal-Mart also offers a grocery store.

I hope they make it a two-story plus, urban-planned development...
I hope so too, and I really don't see another way around it. Typical Wal Marts use at least twice the amount of land available at this site, although I can't tell exactly what the site will encompass.

Is that mini-Publix at that location still open?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:11 AM

16,643 posts, read 29,333,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

Is that mini-Publix at that location still open?
No. That's why it is so important that the Wal-Mart is coming in.

And the Wal-Mart is going in the former location of the Publix.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,674,139 times
The Publix closed last Christmas, if memory serves me right...

I just can't picture in my head how this would work at all...Can't wait to see the designs...

I'm sure the manager at the Kroger on Abernathy not happy though...

Old 12-13-2010, 11:51 AM

16,643 posts, read 29,333,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

I just can't picture in my head how this would work at all...Can't wait to see the designs...

I'm sure the manager at the Kroger on Abernathy not happy though...
I cannot wait to see the designs as well--

No worries for the Kroger in West End--there is enough demand, customers, residents, etc. to support both places easily.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

I bet it will be similar to the one on Northside or a multi-story version of the one in Chamblee chamblee walmart - Google Maps

Old 12-13-2010, 11:54 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,504,242 times
The Walmart will only close the few remaining business around that serve the community. Leaders need to get through their idiotic heads that WAL-MAT if not a community savior. It is quite the opposite. The only reason for it is b/c its cheap. The area is BAD, it needs a lot of help. A Wal-Mart won't fix it like they thought the Publix would fix things.

I bet the Wal-Mart doesn't or can't even hire people in the area. Rather people that work there will be from elsewhere. Hopefully students can get a job.

Look at the city website! Horrid
Home - Vine City

They need more help!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:55 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,901,080 times
I went to the Press Conference and spoke with Councilman Ivory Young and watched Herman J. Russell and Mayor Kasim Reed speak. The Councilman Ivory Young told me that the new WalMart plans to be open by the end of the 2011 summer. He said the plans are to expand on the current space adjacent to the Publix building that is an empty lot and that plans will be finalized shortly.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:00 PM

747 posts, read 1,539,264 times
Wal-Mart is really jonesing to open stores in urban locations, and this is how they're going to do it. They know that only impoverished/run down areas of cities are fair game for new stores. I read today in the NYT that there might be one opening up in the outer reaches of Brooklyn. I can picture more Wal-Marts coming to Atlanta, but they're going to be in areas similar to this. Residents of more established, affluent areas will not have it, even if they sometimes trek over to Howell Mill .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta