Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:34 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times

Advertisements

Well, this is a bummer. And what is especially frustrating is the reason they are closing has nothing to do with underperforming.

Craft Atlanta to close | Food and More with John Kessler

Of course, cwlawrence thinks it's too far for me to drive to go to these restaurants anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 12:50 PM

562 posts, read 1,790,754 times
Several people have commented about this in other threads. Most people think it is because it is underperforming and to not look bad that are saying it is something else. $60+ per meal plus alcohol is insane for this economy.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:16 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
Several people have commented about this in other threads. Most people think it is because it is underperforming and to not look bad that are saying it is something else. $60+ per meal plus alcohol is insane for this economy.
It's in Buckhead, right across from a building that has units listed in the millions of dollars! $60 might be expensive by your standards, but to many folks, that's mere peanuts.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:36 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
That's pricey for my tastes but there are plenty of restaurants around there that charge comparable prices and do fine. We had cocktails in there a couple of times and hors d'oeuvres once. Very nice. My guess is there was just too much leasing commotion going on with the Mansion going through foreclosure, the Peachtree Boulevard construction, etc. I never thought they had a strong street presence either. It can take a while for an upscale place to really hit its stride. That's a finicky business.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:36 PM

262 posts, read 637,582 times
Bummer! I just drove by there today and was thinking how I hoped that I would make it there one day. They had a Groupon-type deal a while back and I'm sorry I missed it.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:04 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Eh, I'm sorry to see them close up, but there is more to this than just the lease issue.

We have a VERY healthy and very hot local restaurant scene here - all of these high profile out of town concepts really don't seem to last very long here unless they can step up. The demise of Il Mulino in the 191 Tower, Emeril's and Roy's are other recent examples.

Atlantans just don't flock more than once to an out of town, name-brand place if the rep and hype don't meet up with expectations. And this is a very good thing, imo.

Last edited by johnatl; 12-17-2010 at 10:12 PM..

Old 12-17-2010, 10:37 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Eh, I'm sorry to see them close up, but there is more to this than just the lease issue.

We have a VERY healthy and very hot local restaurant scene here - all of these high profile out of town concepts really don't seem to last very long here unless they can step up. The demise of Il Mulino in the 191 Tower, Emeril's and Roy's are other recent examples.

Atlantans just don't flock more than once to an out of town, name-brand place if the rep and hype don't meet up with expectations. And this is a very good thing, imo.
That's my take on it. For a foodie, a high priced restaurant chain ran by a celebrity chef is still a chain.

We have an actual legitimate burgeoning restaurant scene to support.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:11 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's my take on it. For a foodie, a high priced restaurant chain ran by a celebrity chef is still a chain.

We have an actual legitimate burgeoning restaurant scene to support.
Absolutely. We have one of THE hottest scenes in the U.S. I hear this constantly from friends from all over the place, including Europeans.

Of course, I totally expect to be totally bashed for even stating this, but I really don't care. Sometimes the truth can really incite bitterness.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:32 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Absolutely. We have one of THE hottest scenes in the U.S. I hear this constantly from friends from all over the place, including Europeans.

Of course, I totally expect to be totally bashed for even stating this, but I really don't care. Sometimes the truth can really incite bitterness.
No bashing here. I agree completely. We have enjoyed some tremendous food in and around Atlanta. And we've seen a few duds (anyone remember Trois?). Both my wife and I liked CraftBar (regardless of the owner) and we will be sad to see it go. It was probably a tad overpriced, and as others have said, in this market that won't work for long.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:14 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
To whom ever left me this rep point message:

Quote:
when people move to a city because the cost of living is so low and the only people spending money are rappers, don't expect restaurants of this caliber to EVER last in atlanta
Several points.

1. Thanks for the free rep.

2. Yes cost of living is low here, but that's not why Craft failed (it's not the only upscale all of Atlanta FYI)

3. So what if rappers spend a lot of money? They are far from the only ones doing so, but what if what you said is true? Is a rapper spending money less legitimate than someone else with money?

4. Restaurants of this caliber? What caliber would that be? Craft, lets face it, was just a fancy olive garden. Tom Colicchio (whom I've heard is a very smart and capable guy on top of being a great chef) basically used his fame as a drawing point for his restaurant. NOT the expectation that diners would be getting meal on the cutting edge of cuisine.

There are basically two rating systems that count when it comes to American restaurants (which I sure you are aware oh anonymous poster):

Michelin Guide - which only reviews restaurants in New York, San Francisco and Chicago (so not that important to us).

and

Gayot - reviews all cities.

So, using your logic, Mr Colicchio should have a restaurant on either list and Atlanta shouldn't have any aside from his, right? Wrong. Chef Colicchio has neither a Michelin star restaurant or a restaurant listed on Gayot's 2010 list. Guess who does.....
Top Restaurants - 40 of the Best Restaurants in the U.S. from Gayot

Atlanta - Restaurant Eugene

On top of that, there are whole host of other restaurants around the city and metro that get high praise from most in culinary circles (hat I won't waste my time on explaining to you if you thought Craft was the pinnacle of dining in Atlanta. Don't get me wrong though, it does sucks that Craft closed. Especially for the staff and the neighborhood.

However, even without Craft we are easily in the top 10 (and some where in the middle on that list) of restaurant cities in America. We will only go further from here.

5. Mods, is there any thing that can be done about these random rude messages left in rep points? Others have said they have been getting the same and I;'ve have had several over the last few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta