Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 03:04 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Why do I have to insert a damn disclaimer into every post involving a problem Atlanta shares with many other cities all over the world? No problem is exclusive to Atlanta. I never claim that Atlanta is the only city to have a particular problem yet as soon as I point out one of these problems you pop up like like Wack-a-Mole with "well so does NYC, Boston, Peoria..." and "if you don't like it you should leave." Crap like that doesn't contribute to a discussion. You think it's defending Atlanta but it's doing the opposite in my opinion. It's giving folks the impression that some of us can't stand to see the city we live take any criticism whatsoever, even where some folks think it deserves it.
Atlanta is not the only city where people stick up for it by pointing out that other cities have the same problem. If other cities get to defend themselves by saying, "We're not the only one to have that problem," why can't Atlanta do the same? We may be thin-skinned but so are people in NYC, Boston and wherever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 12:01 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Atlanta is not the only city where people stick up for it by pointing out that other cities have the same problem. If other cities get to defend themselves by saying, "We're not the only one to have that problem," why can't Atlanta do the same? We may be thin-skinned but so are people in NYC, Boston and wherever.
Well, that post was directed at a certain person and I hesitated before I posted today/yesterday. I was just getting tired of that certain person appearing almost every time I post anything that could remotely be considered negative in regards to Atlanta and hysterically accusing me of bashing the city. Do I complain about this city? Hell yes I do. As a resident I feel I have the right to do so. However, anybody with half a functioning brain can read through my posts and see that I present a realistic picture of what this city is like, both good and bad.

Anyway, I am more confused by tonygeorgia's comment than anything else. How did this ever go beyond the state line? The whole topic is a cluster. Interesting, but a cluster. Even the article itself agrees with one of the basic points of my original response:

"Of course, any list limited to “cities” in Georgia has inherent problems since much of the state’s populated areas aren’t even classified as cities, even in urban areas."

City limits can be pretty vague and "walkable" can have different meanings.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:25 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
.... almost every time I post anything that could remotely be considered negative in regards to Atlanta and hysterically accusing me of bashing the city. Do I complain about this city? Hell yes I do. As a resident I feel I have the right to do so. However, anybody with half a functioning brain can read through my posts and see that I present a realistic picture of what this city is like, both good and bad.
Oh, I know, I was teasing you a little bit.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:04 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oh, I know, I was teasing you a little bit.
Heh. I'm still a bit wound up about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta