Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:40 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Right now we deal with "what if my home catches fire?" "What if there is a flood or a pipe bursts and destroys my papers and photos?" "These things can never be replaced!" ...etc.
Buy a safe from Walmart.

Walmart.com: First Alert Fireproof/Waterproof Digital Safe: Home Security
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 11:39 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Even the much less expensive fireproof file boxes from Sentry and various other companies are decent. I have a half-dozen of them scattered around the house...

Old 01-14-2011, 04:35 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
I have never been to the North Point Barnes and Noble when it hasn't been busy. I was there last week, and waited on a long line to check out. Borders has never impressed me, with either their selection or price. I can see Borders completely closing down, but not B & N.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:42 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
I think bookstores will eventually die out.
It could happen but I hope not. As much as I love digital media, there are certain unique things about a book that are very cool. We went to the library before the storm hit and loaded up, and I have really enjoyed staying inside and curling up with some good books this week.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:36 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It could happen but I hope not. As much as I love digital media, there are certain unique things about a book that are very cool. We went to the library before the storm hit and loaded up, and I have really enjoyed staying inside and curling up with some good books this week.
But imagine saving a trip and just downloading the book to your Kindle, Nook, or iPad...and save a tree! You wouldn't even have to beat the storm. Public domain stuff is even available from Project Gutenberg. But I suspect you already knew this.

University textbooks are absurdly high in price so I think their electronic counterparts will eventually replace them. Much more functional in electronic form.

Right now, I believe libraries function more for general public assistance rather than its traditional role. Even university libraries are carrying journals in electronic form rather than take up shelf space.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:43 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
But imagine saving a trip and just downloading the book to your Kindle, Nook, or iPad...and save a tree! You wouldn't even have to beat the storm. Public domain stuff is even available from Project Gutenberg. But I suspect you already knew this.
Yes, I have an iPad and love it. I've got the Kindle and the Google Books apps and they're a blast. Still, there are things I like about the old fashioned book sometimes.

And you never need to charge them up! ;-)

Old 01-14-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:

University textbooks are absurdly high in price so I think their electronic counterparts will eventually replace them. Much more functional in electronic form.

Right now, I believe libraries function more for general public assistance rather than its traditional role. Even university libraries are carrying journals in electronic form rather than take up shelf space.
But, university textbooks won't work on the regular ebook readers. We just looked into it for one of our kids.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:34 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
But, university textbooks won't work on the regular ebook readers. We just looked into it for one of our kids.
Does it work only on a laptop or desktop? They'll probably be made for ebook readers eventually.

Looks like Borders is on the ropes.

Borders stumbles as web selling, publishing race ahead - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Borders was slow to respond to Amazon's Kindle and Barnes & Noble's Nook. And of course now there is the iPad.

I guess Borders will have to merge with B&N but even so, electronic books seem to be taking over and dead-tree books purchases are increasing done on-line. Even B&N's future as a bricks-and-mortar establishment is doubtful. Maybe publishers will sell directly to consumers? Maybe Starbucks will buy out the bookstores?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Does it work only on a laptop or desktop? They'll probably be made for ebook readers eventually.
I don't have all the details on the textbooks. I took my son's word for it when he said it wasn't an option for him with a regular Nook or Kindle, he said the model he would need was close to $450.

I did read this article on why ebooks won't replace textbooks, yet:
Can an eReader Replace College Textbooks?

I have several friends with ereaders. They seem to either love them or hate them for everyday use. They love the convenience of carrying several titles, especially for travel, but miss the feel of a book, and some have complained of headaches. Personally, I am not in the least bit tempted to buy one. I'm a voracious reader,and they just don't appeal to me like a book does.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:15 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,499 times
Quote:

Looks like Borders is on the ropes.

Borders stumbles as web selling, publishing race ahead - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Borders was slow to respond to Amazon's Kindle and Barnes & Noble's Nook. And of course now there is the iPad.

I guess Borders will have to merge with B&N but even so, electronic books seem to be taking over and dead-tree books purchases are increasing done on-line. Even B&N's future as a bricks-and-mortar establishment is doubtful. Maybe publishers will sell directly to consumers? Maybe Starbucks will buy out the bookstores?
There are down for the count. Borders files for bankruptcy, and they're closing 5 area stores including my fav. one on Cobb pkwy in Vinings. Many lazy Sundays have been spent there hanging out. Oh well...

Borders files bankruptcy, 5 Atlanta-area stores to close *| ajc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta