Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 07:57 PM

5 posts, read 40,183 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I currently live outside of Jacksonville Fl, and are thinking of relocating to Atlanta. We have soooooo many questions in regards to the good vs. bad areas to live in, online we see tons of College Park listings for cheap, but we are reading that this area is high crime, obviously not good for our children. What would be an area thats good for middle class families to live in?
Also, his job of choice would be as as deputy for the Atlanta Police Dept. Does anyone have any information about the Atlanta Police Dept., do they pay well, good benefits, etc. Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 09:38 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,189 times
Uh.

I haven't lived in Atlanta for too long (~10 months), but I have a feeling you're not going to like the answers you will receive.

I DOUBT College Park is a place you'd want to raise a family in... although it is the home of Ludacris. Your safest bet would be on the North side of the city. Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Roswell, etc.

As for the Atlanta Police Department... uh... maybe do a preliminary Google search. Maybe what I've heard are just nasty rumors, but I have a feeling its pretty damn corrupt.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:39 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,189 times
What is the problem in Jacksonville that is making you consider moving to Atlanta anyway? The nicer places in Jax far outweigh places in Atlanta, imo.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 40,183 times
We are wanting to move because my husband has some family in Smyrna, and from what we can tell online and via family members we can get a much bigger house in GA than what we can here in Florida. We are wanting a fresh start I guess.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:35 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83
Uh.

I haven't lived in Atlanta for too long (~10 months), but I have a feeling you're not going to like the answers you will receive.

I DOUBT College Park is a place you'd want to raise a family in... although it is the home of Ludacris. Your safest bet would be on the North side of the city. Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Roswell, etc.

As for the Atlanta Police Department... uh... maybe do a preliminary Google search. Maybe what I've heard are just nasty rumors, but I have a feeling its pretty damn corrupt.

Not all areas of College Park are bad.

You do realize that one of the most prestigious private schools in the area, Woodward Academy, is located in College Park, right? It's not unheard of for people to move to the nicer parts of College Park and have their kids attend Woodward.

Have you seen the homes in the historic College Park area?

Old 07-19-2007, 10:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapazpl View Post
We are wanting to move because my husband has some family in Smyrna, and from what we can tell online and via family members we can get a much bigger house in GA than what we can here in Florida. We are wanting a fresh start I guess.
Living close to family and having a bigger house is nice, but, "quality of life" is probably more important. Something to think about before a move like this.

And P.S... there's no need for so many "???????" - people WILL answer you.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:53 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Uh.

Don't believe everything you read bro..Dove Diva is on point with her comment, not all areas of College Park are bad! There is a new development being built in the Historic College Park area by Brock Built who is one of Atlanta's top intown builders, check out the development at Princeton Village, the Historic College Park neighborhood is established with nice restaurants with even more coming in, excellent Marta access, Airport Access, Parks and Woodward Academy right down there street. For anyone lookign to buy in College Park If your looking for a house there I would suggest staying close to the Main Street area south of Virginia Avenue. Those are the best n'hoods. Alot of craftsman and historic homes. Happy Hunting!

Last edited by jxu66; 07-20-2007 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: sorry not link for real estate website except realtor.com

Old 07-21-2007, 08:59 AM

42 posts, read 162,282 times
Default College Park is very nice, but...

It's next to the airport! Bring some earplugs. College Park is on the upswing, though, and is very nice. Even Hapeville is improving.

As for corrupt/inept police, name one big city police dept. that DOESN'T have problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Don't believe everything you read bro..Dove Diva is on point with her comment, not all areas of College Park are bad! There is a new development being built in the Historic College Park area by Brock Built who is one of Atlanta's top intown builders, check out the development at Princeton Village, the Historic College Park neighborhood is established with nice restaurants with even more coming in, excellent Marta access, Airport Access, Parks and Woodward Academy right down there street. For anyone lookign to buy in College Park If your looking for a house there I would suggest staying close to the Main Street area south of Virginia Avenue. Those are the best n'hoods. Alot of craftsman and historic homes. Happy Hunting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta