Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:13 PM

42 posts, read 138,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I do hope you're prepared to use self-defense if necessary.

Ok, no, not EVERY school within Atlanta is horrible, but it's not exactly the top-rated in the country, either. I've known a couple of people who have taught in Atlanta schools in the past and they usually ended their first years with, "Never again", and moved to the burbs. Again, they may have just had bad luck and I'm sure not every school is a bad Hollywood gang movie, but, you're not moving to Orange County California, remember.

Housing within the city in places like the neighborhood of Virginia Highland is nice, but what can you afford? The average home there is $450,000+.

I know most want to help you but I can't help but feel that more than a few people are thinking, "She waited too late for this decision". And I think it would be best for you and your child if you don't rush into something as serious as relocation to another part of the country you know nothing about with only 3-4 weeks notice before school starts.

My suggestion would be to look into better options in your current area for your child's school now. Then, take this year to really research the Atlanta area, job market, housing areas, schools, etc etc. Then once you have everything laid out and thought out, relocate here. If you rush into something like this, there is little chance there isn't going to be some major stumbling blocks.
Very good point, I will make that decision once I have visited next week. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:25 PM

21 posts, read 82,205 times
Your name says it all! Don't STOP! Get ROLLING!

2 questions however.

-will your daughter feel like your crowding her moving here to be close to her.
-is your son (even though he may have no say) happy about leaving.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:42 PM

48 posts, read 175,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytoroll View Post
Very good point, I will make that decision once I have visited next week. Thanks!
I moved here from Milwaukee almost 4yrs ago. I LOVE it!! I've only have been back 2 milwaukee twice since the move, & that was only for weekends. I can tell you that Milwaukee is NOTHING like Atlanta at all. The metro ATL area is almost 4 times the size of Milwaukee metro area & you have to drive a whole lot! Get ready for there ALWAYS being something to do. The only thing I really hate here so far is the traffic problem due to our messed up public transit system.

To be honest, I suggest you get a job before moving here. I did not have a job when I moved & it took me almost 4 months to land a good paying job. School starts here in 3 weeks, and many schools have registered/hired already, so you may have a problem getting your son in school. I would also suggest that you not buy a home right away, you should rent for a year so you can get an idea of where you want to live at & where your job is.

If I were you & if I was a teacher I would stay in Milwaukee until the beginning of next summer, & visit here a few times so you can get a better feel for the ATL metro area & see if you like it. ATL is not for eveyone, & it's possible you may not want to live here. I wish myself I would not have made such a rash decision, but luckily it worked out well & I am happy here. Good luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta