Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:37 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times

Advertisements

Georgia has recently, and very apparently, become a hot spot for the film industry. Over the past couple of months, celebrities have been spotted all over metro-Atlanta deeming the area a new hub for the industry.

CarterBlog: Current Affairs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 11:16 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
It's really exciting what has happened over the last 15 years or so when it comes to the movie biz in Atlanta. Part of that success has been in carving itself a niche film market on which to build upon such as Vancouver has done with science fiction films. The first, "Black movies", everyone is already aware of. The other though doesn't get much play: tv movies and "chick flicks".

The latter has been ratcheting up in the last few years, and the latest from Lifetime (was forced to watch it by Mrs. Waronxmas) had some beautiful shots of the city and did a good job of presenting Atlanta as it is. A modern cosmopolitan city.

Watch Marry Me Part 1 - Watch the Full Movie Online Now! | myLifetime.com

Old 12-27-2010, 06:46 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Trying to get a better understanding of the industry. What are the strengths and weaknesses of movie production in GA?

Totally guessing, but I would imagine the following are some strengths:

- The tax breaks
- Having a major city with a variety of different cityscapes (old storefronts, modern office areas, parks, old industrial areas, etc)
- Good airport access (try getting all of this specialized labor and stuff to Oklahoma)
- Variety of landscapes (mountains, beaches, forests, lakes, etc)
- Reasonably long filming season with good weather (April - November?)
- Cost of production could quite possibly be lower for a number of things

I guess the heat could be considered a weakness, as well as the distance from California.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Good news!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:08 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
I wonder what ever happened to the movie studio project in Henry County? Last I heard was that the county voted on the project and they had a couple of months to get back to the county commissioners on their plans

Old 12-27-2010, 07:40 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Trying to get a better understanding of the industry. What are the strengths and weaknesses of movie production in GA?

Totally guessing, but I would imagine the following are some strengths:

- The tax breaks
- Having a major city with a variety of different cityscapes (old storefronts, modern office areas, parks, old industrial areas, etc)
- Good airport access (try getting all of this specialized labor and stuff to Oklahoma)
- Variety of landscapes (mountains, beaches, forests, lakes, etc)
- Reasonably long filming season with good weather (April - November?)
- Cost of production could quite possibly be lower for a number of things

I guess the heat could be considered a weakness, as well as the distance from California.
I'd imagine having Atlanta and rural parts of GA allows for a really nice range of choices for cinematography. If you want folksy, we got folksy. If you want upscale cosmopolitan, we got that too. If you want post-apocalyptic industrial despair, check out parts of the Westside and Southside!

In other words, Georgia can look both Southern and not-Southern, urban and rural, as needed.

And certainly the tax breaks must help. As does the cost of living, since ATL food/entertainment/housing is generally cheaper than LA.

Does anyone know just how much the state paid to the film industry in tax credits/subsidies this past year?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Movies are constantly being filmed in NYC, and those production-company, big, 18-wheelers hauling the equipment usually are all white with only 3 painted names down the side: "Los Angeles"..."New York"..."North Carolina"...

Dino DeLaurentis (producer) came to Wilmington, NC in the early eighties and started what is now Screen Gems Studios.

Atlanta's production scene now probably puts Georgia ahead of NC, but the Tarheel State definitely wrote the playbook for luring movie production to the South...

Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
it's all about the tax breaks.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Yes, Wilmywood up in N.C. was a gamechanger for the southeastern film industry a couple of decades ago but it is sort of in a relative down cycle at this time. De Laurentis built some wonderful facilities there but that area is lagging now in overall production, say as compared to that found in Georgia, especially in metro Atlanta, to the extent that I anecdotally know of people in the film industry who now regularly make the trek from Wilmington to Georgia for steadier work.
Earlier this year I saw a posting on a Charlotte page here that bragged about Wilmington as a film center. That person noted that it had the largest sound stage in the southeast. I'm not sure if that is the case anymore but the size of a stage pales in importance to whether or not it is thoroughly & regularly utilized.
One of the major expansions in production space going on now in metro Atlanta is the redevelopment of the old Lakewood Fairgrounds site into a filming facility.
A major side of the industry often overlooked in reference to film production in Georgia is that, beyond the myriad of tv shows & movies shot here, over 250 commercials were made in metro Atlanta last year.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:28 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
What other states rounded out the top 5?

Of course I'd be willing to bet Ca and NY were the top 2 and Tx was #3. The other one could be Louisiana I'd think but I could be wrong. Georgia was neck and neck with Louisiana for a while and may be ahead now. Maybe NC is still in the top 5 instead of Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta