Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 10:33 PM

24 posts, read 68,050 times

Advertisements

Thanks! I tweaked downtown and midtown a little bit by adding stations and renaming a few today. So here's a closeup of that area of town. What else needs to be added in the two areas?
Attached Thumbnails
Design Your Own MARTA Expansion-image002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 12:16 AM

16,627 posts, read 29,293,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cest524 View Post
Thanks! I tweaked downtown and midtown a little bit by adding stations and renaming a few today. So here's a closeup of that area of town. What else needs to be added in the two areas?

//www.city-data.com/forum/13543966-post4.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-stations.html

Old 07-20-2011, 05:05 AM

4,688 posts, read 7,983,187 times
That would be wonderful

Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 AM

725 posts, read 1,503,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
This is all Heavey rail. It does not include light rail lines that will be built (I.E. the beltline)

I Know i will get blasted for keeping Five Points as the only hub. I did that because it is cheaper and is the one station set up to be a multi direction hub. Also alot of thees lines use provisions that are already in place.
I like this... I believe this should be what the city should strive for ultimately. Heavy rail should be the primary mode of public trasit to me. The beltline is maybe the only exception.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:12 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,115,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
I like this... I believe this should be what the city should strive for ultimately. Heavy rail should be the primary mode of public trasit to me. The beltline is maybe the only exception.
Mile-for-mile, heavy rail is indeed the most effective form of transit. The catch, though, is its per-mile cost, which can make it politically less feasible than light rail.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:29 PM

3,695 posts, read 5,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Mile-for-mile, heavy rail is indeed the most effective form of transit. The catch, though, is its per-mile cost, which can make it politically less feasible than light rail.
My view on the matter:

All extensions to existing lines should be heavy rail.

New lines should be heavy rail when they are able to branch off of existing tracks (ie, a new line from Cumberland to the Airport, which joins at Arts Center)

I think lines that don't meet these criteria should generally be light rail, streetcar, or commuter rail, as the case may be. I think Emory would probably be served just fine with light rail.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
My view on the matter:

All extensions to existing lines should be heavy rail.

New lines should be heavy rail when they are able to branch off of existing tracks (ie, a new line from Cumberland to the Airport, which joins at Arts Center)

I think lines that don't meet these criteria should generally be light rail, streetcar, or commuter rail, as the case may be. I think Emory would probably be served just fine with light rail.

Hey...wait a minute...that's my view--

//www.city-data.com/forum/19905721-post408.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/19906759-post411.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/19932763-post424.html

(for the most part)

Old 07-20-2011, 02:08 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,115,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
These plans are great, but if we are looking at a total of $6.2 billion raised for the entire region, we can't spend $6.19 billion on extending a few rail lines that will reach about 5% of the regions population. People in the outlying counties have their own wants/needs and aren't going to vote for a plan that provides them nothing.

Personally, I think the Cobb line to Cumberland or even Southern Poly is a great idea. The stretch up to KSU sounds great too, but I think that will be too costly to include with these funds. This stretch would be a good starter line and pave the way for a future extension. I also think that adding a 5-6 heavy rail extension of the gold line up into Gwinnett would be a good idea. That won't get it all of the way up to the Arena, but it does extend MARTA's reach significantly and would give a lot of people the opportunity to park and ride MARTA into town. I am not a huge fan of the 400 extension. People in this area already have the option of driving to a station and riding into town. While not optimal, this is something that doesn't currently exist on the 75 and 85 corridors. I would vote for a plan that included these lines. I'm not sure what this would run, but if it could be done for about $1.5 billion, I would be happy and I think that would be an appropriate level of investment for rail for this tax hike. I'd like to see more spent, but it doesn't make any sense and won't fly with the more sub-suburban voters.

I cringe when I see $500 million being budgeted for hte 285/400 interchange. Why not just keep the toll on the road and use those revenues to re-do this interchange? $500 million could be better used elsewhere in my opinion.
That's a good point. Perhaps they could compromise somewhere in the middle? That interchange is in dire need of a complete rebuild, though, particularly the 285 east -> 400 north ramp, which is notorious for its long line (that people cut into at the last second).

Old 07-20-2011, 03:45 PM

Decently related to this thread:

Why America

Old 07-24-2011, 12:07 PM

83 posts, read 112,725 times
Default Clifton

It looks as though MARTA wants to tunnel under Lenox Rd to avoid disruption to the area by using a tunnel boring machine. The CSX ROW is too busy to share so the would have to go above grade if they do not go underground. This would be between the Cheshire Br station and Sage Hill I believe. This was originally slated to be light rail, but would be heavy rail to extend existing lines.
http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFile..._Scenario2.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta