U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:42 PM

10 posts, read 26,851 times

Advertisements

what about taking 85 down to buckhead if live in the NE corner of Johns Creek? Is that route faster than 400 or I141?
We are both professionals working in financial sector (not banks though), and I think these jobs are concentrated in Buckhead anyway? We'd be going there with jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 01:15 PM

188 posts, read 530,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finacctg View Post
what about taking 85 down to buckhead if live in the NE corner of Johns Creek? Is that route faster than 400 or I141?
We are both professionals working in financial sector (not banks though), and I think these jobs are concentrated in Buckhead anyway? We'd be going there with jobs.
If you think the chances are good you will be working in Buckhead, I do not recommend living in Johns Creek. I live in the northeast corner of Johns Creek. On the weekends, when there is no traffic, the commute to Buckhead is 35 minutes, regardless of whether I take 85 all the way in, 141 all the way to Buckhead, or 141 to 285 west to 400 south. I'd add at least 30 minutes to the commute during rush hour. Johns Creek is just a very awkward commute to Buckhead, and none of the routes are direct. If you want to live in North Fulton County, Sandy Springs, Roswell & Alpharetta would be much better choices.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:38 PM

This is exactly why I am seeking feedback or suggestions of other cities that will be a better alternative than Johns creek or even Alpharetta. The impression i got from reading other posts is that Alpharetta/Johns creek are very family friendly suburbs with top-notch public schools and very well diversified ethnicity. We are immigrants. We have a decent budget for house, so that is not the issue. My only hesitation has always been the commute.

We don't really care which county to live in, just want to find a happy media of top-notch public schools, safe, friendly and ethnically diversified neighborhood, and reasonable commute to Buckhead. So, among Marietta, Vinings, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Duluthe, Dectatur, Nacross... which one or ones are better choices?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 PM

326 posts, read 733,420 times
georgia sucks dont even move here

Old 12-28-2010, 09:28 PM

8 posts, read 17,351 times
The commute from Buckhead to Alpharetta is definitely 45-1 1/2 hrs or more in rush hour(7-9 am & 4-7pm). If you & your husband have a typical 9-5 then the commute will kill you but you will get used to it. The commute from Alpharetta to Hartsfield will be 1 hr(w/o traffic). And marta would be a smart alternative, if you have a small carry on & don't have huge luggage.
The Vinings, Dunwoody, Buckhead & Sandy Springs are excellent options to live closer to the city/ work & Hartsfield airport. If you are looking for a home w/ a nice size yard for the children, Buckhead maybe the last place to look. Those listed do have good schools systems except Marietta. Marietta really depends on where you will be living... These areas can also be compared to Alpharetta but they are closer to the city & more accesible to the average person. Private schools average $1,000/month tuition or more. And there are waiting list at most. So once you get settled get your children on the waiting list if you choose the private school route. My friend's daughter was on the Woodward Academy waiting list for 2 years and was accepted for her kindergarden entry into school.
Living closer to the perimeter is wonderful bc you have the luxury of worlds surburbia & city. You will love atlanta for the many activities, restaurants, sports etc. etc. And the above areas are family friendly, have kid activities, sports, etc etc. & most have parks. There is a popular private school on Ponce De Leon(its a street name). I can't remember the name of it. Atlanta Christian Academy??? idk. Google it or put in "private school, ponce de leon, atlanta, decatur" Its "decatur" but its 2 mins outside of the city of atlanta, nice part of decatur....

Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 AM

2,030 posts, read 4,866,856 times
Most of the "elite" private schools are located in the Buckhead area (Westminster, Lovett, Pace, Atlanta International School). There are others further out toward the burbs, but those would be considered "top-notch." Living in Vinings or Sandy Springs (even Dunwoody, although a little farther) gives good access to those schools. You haven't mentioned your budget for a home; that will make a difference as Buckhead proper can be quite expensive.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:32 PM

budget for a home is about $500k. If i had a choice, I still rather send the kids to public school as that will be a big financial relief comparing to sending kids to private. I have two kids, so they'll add up to be quite some money.
How long does it take to get to Buckhead from Sandy springs? The hearsay is Vinings is more popular for young professionalw with no kids? Does Sandy springs have diversified ethnic groups?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,072 times
You'll be fine anywhere from Buckhead up 400 to Alpharetta. The whole northern part of the city is extremely diverse.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:44 AM

2,030 posts, read 4,866,856 times
As far as Buckhead to Sandy Springs, depends on which part. I live in the very northern part of Sandy Springs (30350 zip) and I would hop on 400 at Exit 6 (Northridge Rd.) and be in Buckhead in 15 min. if no traffic. Southern Sandy Springs would obviously be closer (zips 30328 or 30342). There are family-oriented areas of Vinings as well as the singles areas. Yes, there is definitely diversity in Sandy Springs, although perhaps not as much as inside the perimeter/intown areas. There is a large Jewish presence in Sandy Springs and Dunwoody, as well as African-American and Hispanic groups. There is a larger population of Asian folks in the Johns Creek/Duluth area. I've also seen increasing numbers of Asian-Indians in Dunwoody/Sandy Springs in the last few years.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:53 AM

955 posts, read 2,925,946 times
Here are the ethnic distributions of Johns Creek, Suwanee, and Duluth

Johns Creek
Whites : 61%
Blacks : 6%
Hispanics : 5%
Asians : 26%
Other Groups : 2%

Duluth
Whites: 56%
Blacks: 9%
Hispanics: 5%
Asians: 27%
Other Groups: 3%

Suwanee
Whites: 64%
Blacks: 11%
Hispanics: 7%
Asians: 16%
Other Groups: 2%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or