U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
where do you live now, stuart?
Off Bolton Road in Riverside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 PM

29,937 posts, read 27,317,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart1981 View Post
I lived in Capitol View for a little over 4 years and personally for me it was a great mistake. I would just caution people to understand what they are getting into when moving to this type of neighborhood. People have differing tolerance levels of what they will endure. Try renting first. Break-in are pretty common, I was broken into twice in my 4 years, some neighbors even more. There are gangs in the area, like Deep 30 who were involved in some serious stuff a few years back. The area is burdened with lots of foreclosures and while the prices are cheap, cheap, cheap that may sound like a deal at first but that just shows how unstable the neighborhood is and when I go back I can see the decline. There are a lot of renters who don't care about the property and it shows. There are no grocery stores nearby or any decent restaurants. There was talk of stuff coming in but nothing ever happened in the 4 years I was there. As far as the Beltine, I don't see it. The $$ is going to midtown-OFW and westside. Which is where I am now and like it a lot better by the new beltline Westside park which is being built now and will be the largest park in ATL. Other advice is join the capitol view listserv on Yahoo and read the posts going back about 5 years and get idea of what goes on. So don't diss on me, just my personal opinion and not tying to be negative just keeping it real and making sure others make an informed decision and like my title says, know what you're getting into. But having said this, it might be right for some people or as an investment even. It is definitely convenient to other intown locations, so that is a real plus. Stu
Thanks for that assessment.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 AM

8,640 posts, read 10,704,870 times
I don't have any first hand knowledge of the area.

I do know that I had a friend who rented there many years ago, about 7 or 8, actually. She had a daughter, but she was a really tough woman and had lived in places like Old Fourth Ward (BEFORE it started coming up) and all kinds of other places around town that I probably wouldn't bring a child. Her plan was to rent a house there and then buy it, I think that's the deal she had worked out.

After her lease was up, she jumped out of there. She decided it was just too dangerous. This was a kind of artsy woman who liked living in warehouse spaces and things like that, but had decided a house was a better environment. I remember her saying Capitol View had been a mistake and she said she didn't see it ever coming up to where it needs to be.

Since she had lived in a bunch of places I wouldn't even consider, I took her word as being pretty strong that this was not a good area.

This was a while ago. I work with a bunch of urban pioneering type people who live in places like Fourth Ward, Cabbagetown, Grant Park, Oakhurst, Kirkwood, East Atlanta, etc. and I have yet to hear of anyone else going to Capitol View.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:52 AM

4,195 posts, read 5,015,244 times
Quote:
are things pretty quiet up there? i was surprised because you said you were around westside park and things were quieter, westside park is basically in the middle of bankhead.

i guess since bowen homes is gone it's quieter around thereā€” do you find it to be a nice neighbourhood?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 4,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
are things pretty quiet up there? i was surprised because you said you were around westside park and things were quieter, westside park is basically in the middle of bankhead.

i guess since bowen homes is gone it's quieter around there— do you find it to be a nice neighbourhood?

The park will be north of Bankhead/Hollowell. I am up the road about a mile and it is quieter. I think it is a nice neighborhood for being a transitional neighborhood and I feel so much more confident that the area will improve much faster than what I was hoping for in Capitol View. You have to have a draw and I think the park will be a big park of it. It has already developed because of being close to Midtown West and the shops, lofts and restaurants there. I am not saying it is paradise here because there are break-ins and car thefts. There is drug dealing and hookers. There are definitely some rough spots. But South Buckhead is just off Bolton up the road on Moores Mill and Publix is coming this year there. If you have never driven out this way you should come out and look, you may be surprised by what you see. Sorry if I sound like the chamber of commerce!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:58 AM

25 posts, read 65,457 times
The Atlanta Disc Golf Organization is in the process of installing a permanent disc golf course in Perkerson Park that will be a big positive for the Capitol View neighborhood. We've been working on it for 5 years and finally got approval to begin installation this winter after an extensive master planning process on the park with the city/Beltline. It's going to be a high caliber course that is one of the best in Georgia and one of the best urban courses in the US, as well as the only ITP course of 18 metro Atlanta courses. The course will draw people from all over the city on a very regular basis to the neighborhood and provide a steady flow of positive foot traffic throughout the park. Clearing/construction started in January and it should be fully open by Summer 2012.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 AM

22 posts, read 72,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg24 View Post
The Atlanta Disc Golf Organization is in the process of installing a permanent disc golf course in Perkerson Park that will be a big positive for the Capitol View neighborhood. We've been working on it for 5 years and finally got approval to begin installation this winter after an extensive master planning process on the park with the city/Beltline. It's going to be a high caliber course that is one of the best in Georgia and one of the best urban courses in the US, as well as the only ITP course of 18 metro Atlanta courses. The course will draw people from all over the city on a very regular basis to the neighborhood and provide a steady flow of positive foot traffic throughout the park. Clearing/construction started in January and it should be fully open by Summer 2012.
That is excellent news! The park has great potential, and it is nice that the disc golfers are using it. The new disc course will coincide with the water feature that they are putting in.

Also, there is talk of the Stewart branch library being moved closer to Capitol View, so that will help things as well.

I have been living in CV for 5 years. This area was hurt a lot by mortgage fraud and the recession. However, I think it will be poised to bounce back: we are close to MARTA, I20, I75/85 the airport, and now the beltline. It only takes me 30 minutes to commute to midtown (on my bike.) When I drive, it is 10-15 minutes. $5/gallon gas may be in our future, too. In town places like this will improve.

I am not denying that there are issues, and the community is working on them. It also varies from street to street; some are better than others. Guess what? People get burglarized in Grant Park and Cabbagetown, too.

The glut of grocery stores and restaurants is an issue. I shop and dine in midtown, personally, but it would be nice to have clean, new store nearby.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 AM

179 posts, read 506,687 times
Have you considered West End? It is a Historic District just south of I-20. I live there after having lived in East Point for a few years and it has a similar housing stock, also for very cheap, but the neighborhood is extremely active and crime is lower than one would expect. Most of my neighbors love it and there has been a huge influx of young families and professionals of all races and socioeconimic backgrounds since 2008. I have kids and I feel perfectly safe and really love it here. I'm also an avid runner and know the area like the back of my hand. I know you didn't ask specifically, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,595,458 times
Quote:
I lived in Capitol View for a little over 4 years and personally for me it was a great mistake. I would just caution people to understand what they are getting into when moving to this type of neighborhood. People have differing tolerance levels of what they will endure. Try renting first. Break-in are pretty common, I was broken into twice in my 4 years, some neighbors even more. There are gangs in the area, like Deep 30 who were involved in some serious stuff a few years back. The area is burdened with lots of foreclosures and while the prices are cheap, cheap, cheap that may sound like a deal at first but that just shows how unstable the neighborhood is and when I go back I can see the decline. There are a lot of renters who don't care about the property and it shows. There are no grocery stores nearby or any decent restaurants. There was talk of stuff coming in but nothing ever happened in the 4 years I was there. As far as the Beltine, I don't see it. The $$ is going to midtown-OFW and westside. Which is where I am now and like it a lot better by the new beltline Westside park which is being built now and will be the largest park in ATL. Other advice is join the capitol view listserv on Yahoo and read the posts going back about 5 years and get idea of what goes on. So don't diss on me, just my personal opinion and not tying to be negative just keeping it real and making sure others make an informed decision and like my title says, know what you're getting into. But having said this, it might be right for some people or as an investment even. It is definitely convenient to other intown locations, so that is a real plus. Stu
Quote:

So you like Bolton & Riverside better than Capitol View? To each his own I understand but the reasons you listed don't really make sense to me. First off I'll take the bungalows in Capitol View over the houses in Riverside any day of the week. And as far as break ins, Bolton & Riverside has it's share of the pie too. Except for the part around Hanover & Fernleaf, that whole street is break in and robbery prone all the way from where it is Bellmeade until its Bolton @ 285. And gang activity? News flash buddy but those apartment complexes down the street from you are full of Mexican gangs. And I would say the Kroger on Cleveland Ave is closer or just as close to Capitol View as the Kroger on Howell Mill is to Bolton. And you can give a slight edge to the Howell Mill Kroger as far as being the nicer one, but it's not that big of a difference. Neither one is like the one in Edgewood. I feel what you're saying overall though. I could see Bolton turning up before Capitol View, but Capitol View isn't even that bad now outside of Dill Ave if you're going to compare it to an area like Bolton & Riverside. And Capitol View was never even close to as bad as what Bolton & Riverside were 15 years ago back when it was basically just Hollywood & Bolton, not until recently did this Riverside stuff pop up.

Last edited by oldschoolChevy; 02-19-2012 at 05:43 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 07:04 PM

2,092 posts, read 2,718,415 times
Does anyone feel that the Porsche headquarters relocation to Hapeville will trigger any new retail development for nearby southside communities? (i.e., Capitol View, Conley Hills, East Point).

I think that several neighborhoods within these communities have beautiful homes -- but the downside is there is not a large concentration of retail stores or services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or