U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:59 PM

1,004 posts, read 545,502 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of cute/cool looking bungalow style homes being renovated in this area (at least I did on my last visit). It would seem like a good investment to purchase in this are and prices are insanely cheap. Would one recommend purchasing in this area. Single guy, I do keep a few firearms. Living in an urban/inner city area would not really bother me and long as my property was not being vandalized every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 04:14 PM

2,599 posts, read 3,816,764 times
If you are willing to put up with the increased risk involved with purchasing in an up and coming area then I say go ahead. I agree that there are some very nice houses for great prices and the neighborhoods are surprisingly nice.Capitol view has a little bit to go and there is absolutely no nightlife but I think it will be a pretty decent spot in a decade or so. The Beltline is going to pass pretty close and that should draw more investment. Atlanta Tech and Atlanta Metro College seem to be doing a lot for the area as well. I can see this part of town starting to pick up once the recovery is in full swing.

I'd invest in a decent security system just in case. It still has its rough edges and it borders some pretty down and out neighborhoods like Pittsburgh. However, if you are willing to take the chance and hold onto a place for a few years you should come out pretty well.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 PM

1,004 posts, read 545,502 times
Thanks for the advice, I imagine I would do fine. I'm in Houston right now and we have to drive EVERYWHERE so driving a bit for entertainment doesn't sound so bad.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:16 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,900,742 times
I have a soft spot for this area. My great grandfather lived in Capital View Manor right across Metropolitan (use to be Stewart Ave). My family still owns the house.

The area has improved a good bit, but has a long way to go. 15 years ago it was pretty bad. If the beltline gets built successfully it will definitely turn into a nicer area. I do want to warn you though both justly and unjustly that area has a pretty bad stigma against it with some people in Metro Atlanta. They pretty much changed the name of the street (Stewart Ave.) years ago to get rid of the negative image the name of that street carried in peoples minds. Things are definitely getting better though. It is just more of a risk of how long it is taking.

I would also note that Capital View Manor instead of Capital View has homes that are slightly bigger, much better kept, and more stable land values (comparatively). However, it is also slightly more expensive to get into.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:37 PM

8 posts, read 16,801 times
mane dat place ghutta as heyal. sstay away from capidol view.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:06 PM

222 posts, read 522,128 times
was just in Capitol View today looking at homes. Great selection of 1920s era bungalows in decent condition and going for a sang. We saw two that were drop dead gorgeous. Unfortunately, the commercial/industrial corridors that surround this area are really run down and it looks like until these areas are improved, the residential area will function somewhat like an oasis in the middle of urban blight.

I think the Fort McPherson (sp?) redevelopment will help this area a bit, but it will probably also be quite insular

Old 02-13-2011, 03:39 AM

6,587 posts, read 7,900,742 times
The industrial properties to the north (and that train tracks there) are apart of the Beltline TAD and will be apart of the brownfield cleanup/redevelopment. The main issue is the risk for how long that will actually take to happen on those sites.

Of course that isn't true for the sites to the west.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 AM

453 posts, read 691,630 times
I think its a good idea if the price is right. No question pretty much everywhere downtown and close by will get better in the coming decade as more and more people move into the city itself. No question the beltline will transform whole areas, I hope it happens.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,267 times
Default Know what you're getting into

I lived in Capitol View for a little over 4 years and personally for me it was a great mistake. I would just caution people to understand what they are getting into when moving to this type of neighborhood. People have differing tolerance levels of what they will endure. Try renting first. Break-in are pretty common, I was broken into twice in my 4 years, some neighbors even more. There are gangs in the area, like Deep 30 who were involved in some serious stuff a few years back. The area is burdened with lots of foreclosures and while the prices are cheap, cheap, cheap that may sound like a deal at first but that just shows how unstable the neighborhood is and when I go back I can see the decline. There are a lot of renters who don't care about the property and it shows. There are no grocery stores nearby or any decent restaurants. There was talk of stuff coming in but nothing ever happened in the 4 years I was there. As far as the Beltine, I don't see it. The $$ is going to midtown-OFW and westside. Which is where I am now and like it a lot better by the new beltline Westside park which is being built now and will be the largest park in ATL. Other advice is join the capitol view listserv on Yahoo and read the posts going back about 5 years and get idea of what goes on. So don't diss on me, just my personal opinion and not tying to be negative just keeping it real and making sure others make an informed decision and like my title says, know what you're getting into. But having said this, it might be right for some people or as an investment even. It is definitely convenient to other intown locations, so that is a real plus. Stu

Last edited by stuart1981; 02-06-2012 at 03:57 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 04:07 PM

4,195 posts, read 5,014,602 times
where do you live now, stuart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or