Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:04 PM

86 posts, read 121,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Tell that to the guy serving life in California for getting caught stealing a $1.00 Hershey's candy bar 3 times in a row. What about the guy serving 2 years at the state pen for toking up a blunt?

I'm all for harsh sentences for crimes against people, and I won't lose sleep if a murderer gets the needle, but man...why is there such a belligerence about lowering the boom on people for doing petty non-violent stuff? Why should I be outraged when some dude is getting high off the Mary Jane?

You missed the point on that part. Again...

MAN!!! There you go with the hyperbole stuff again. I never said anything about banning guns. Why do you NRA gun nuts go ape-crap whenever someone talks regulation of guns?

This is what jams me up about people with your thought process on the gun issue. You folks rant & moan about criminals funning wild and how cops should just shoot on sight and how there should be public excutions, but lordy lord, don't let someone put a little restriction on gun ownership, because according to you guys, "big government" is taking over!

Do you realize how nonsensical that is? You want a police state on one hand because of criminals running wild, but then on the other you want weapons to just be sold willy-nilly on the street without regards to whether or not they end up in the wrong hands.

You ever thought that Trooper LeCroy could be alive right now & spending time with his family if someone hadn't straw-purchased the gun that ended up in the hands of the murderer Gregory Favors?

Furthermore, After-the-fact policing is so friggin' stupid and counter-productive. So we should just wait for some thug to get his hands on a handgun illegally, kill someone, and then do high-fives when the justice system gives them the needle...all the while another criminal thug steps up to do the same thing?

Why not simply prevent guns from ending up in the hands of murderers in the first place? Jesus freakin' Christ, this illogic is numbing my brain...

Because criminals will always find a way to get guns. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE LAW. Let me repeat : CRIMINALS DON'T CARE ABOUT THE LAW. If you make it illegal to have guns the law abiding citizens will be the ones unarmed not the criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 08:10 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
I AM NOT DEMANDING THAT HANDGUNS BE MADE ILLEGAL! I AM NOT DEMANDING THAT HANDGUNS BE MADE ILLEGAL!

I will repeat this again: I AM NOT DEMANDING THAT HANDGUNS BE MADE ILLEGAL!

When have I said that? WHEN? WHEN? WHEN!?!

I am asking for better regulation. Is it that hard? Is it really that hard? Why does there have to be an either/or on this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSuperfriend View Post
Because criminals will always find a way to get guns. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE LAW. Let me repeat : CRIMINALS DON'T CARE ABOUT THE LAW. If you make it illegal to have guns the law abiding citizens will be the ones unarmed not the criminals.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I AM NOT DEMANDING THAT HANDGUNS BE MADE ILLEGAL! I AM NOT DEMANDING THAT HANDGUNS BE MADE ILLEGAL!

I will repeat this again: I AM NOT DEMANDING THAT HANDGUNS BE MADE ILLEGAL!

When have I said that? WHEN? WHEN? WHEN!?!

I am asking for better regulation. Is it that hard? Is it really that hard? Why does there have to be an either/or on this issue?
Regulate all you damn well want. Do you think it matters to a criminal?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 PM

Well the death penalty damn sure ain't scaring these thugs, because they are still shooting and killing. So the question is what to do about it?

I'm not sure about you, but personally I believe in comprehensive & holistic solutions, not the futile continuation of this ideological hand-wringing.

Quote:
Regulate all you damn well want. Do you think it matters to a criminal?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Well the death penalty damn sure ain't scaring these thugs, because they are still shooting and killing. So the question is what to do about it?

I'm not sure about you, but personally I believe in comprehensive & holistic solutions, not the futile continuation of this ideological hand-wringing.
Like what? You want put them in a mental institute? If enough people shoot em up they will die or turn straight. People are tired of living in fear.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 PM

Like I said before, I believe in a comprehensive solution. Everything should be put on the table, as far as ideas to stop or at the very least reduce precipitously the senseless killing.

But it's stupid in my opinion to allow fear and emotion to drive public policy. It has never worked that way, at least not in a way that guarantees the survival of a country and the sanity of a society.

Also, even if every citizen owns a handgun, every thug interested in committing crime will own one too. Will the average law-abiding citizen be able to be on guard everytime? Doesn't seem like a great way to live, I would think. Who would want to have to walk out the house everyday always having to be armed to the teeth?

The siege mentality I think is very unhealthy. I would rather reduce the chances for a thug to own a handgun to kill me, than for me to have to feel like I have to be on "kill-mode" each and everyday.

Quote:
Like what? You want put them in a mental institute? If enough people shoot em up they will die or turn straight. People are tired of living in fear.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 12-29-2010 at 09:00 PM..

Old 12-29-2010, 09:25 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:

Also, even if every citizen owns a handgun, every thug interested in committing crime will own one too. Will the average law-abiding citizen be able to be on guard everytime? Doesn't seem like a great way to live, I would think. Who would want to have to walk out the house everyday always having to be armed to the teeth?

The siege mentality I think is very unhealthy. I would rather reduce the chances for a thug to own a handgun to kill me, than for me to have to feel like I have to be on "kill-mode" each and everyday.
AcidSnake,

It would be a lot easier to talk about holistic long-term solutions if the people carrying out these attacks would stop, at least for a while. But when hard working, decent citizens perceive themselves under senseless attacks by thugs, they're going to get mad and they're going to fight back. Protect yourself first, and then maybe we can talk about root causes and social conditions.

That's just the way it works.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:49 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

Thats all over the country and even in your native, W.I. country so give it a rest, man...
I've seen a few people here, even in suburban Atlanta, demonstrate an attitude towards criminals that I've never really seen before. Not in the suburbs of the city I came from, and not in the small towns in that same state.

It isn't all over the country. There are attitudes here that seem tied to certain generally urban cultures.

Besides, claiming such attitudes are ubiquitous doesn't make them right, or acceptable to the mainstream.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:51 PM

This country has been arming itself for a long time and the seige mentality is just as patently apparent now as it was 234 years ago be it manifest destiny or the Cold War.

You can arm every citizen in the short term, but it will not stop the long term problems. There has to be a clear will & resolve to deal with the problems and create a long term solution even as the people are currently going through those problems.

And figuring those solutions out has to involve ALL levels of society, something that is apparently anathema to "states righters", conservatives, & others who feel kinship with the isolated outlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
AcidSnake,

It would be a lot easier to talk about holistic long-term solutions if the people carrying out these attacks would stop, at least for a while. But when hard working, decent citizens perceive themselves under senseless attacks by thugs, they're going to get mad and they're going to fight back. Protect yourself first, and then maybe we can talk about root causes and social conditions.

That's just the way it works.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:51 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Spell out the penalties for certain crimes.

If someone is found to have committed one with incontrovertible proof, apply the penalty.

It isn't rocket science.

This loser is on camera. I don't care if the man is my own brother. He should pay the price.

He probably should have paid the price before, but there are too many people out there trying to "save" pieces of **** instead of objectively assessing the situation and realizing that some people are simply not saveable.

Humanity as a whole may or may not be inherently good. I don't know. It's clear, however, that some people are clearly good while others are clearly more interested in themselves than in the rest of society and its rules.

Maybe stripping them of their citizenship and shipping them elsewhere is the solution of removal if these people from the gene pool is so distasteful?

Last edited by rcsteiner; 12-29-2010 at 10:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta