Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:13 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I've seen a few people here, even in suburban Atlanta, demonstrate an attitude towards criminals that I've never really seen before. Not in the suburbs of the city I came from, and not in the small towns in that same state.

It isn't all over the country. There are attitudes here that seem tied to certain generally urban cultures.

Besides, claiming such attitudes are ubiquitous doesn't make them right, or acceptable to the mainstream.
That's why. Small town and suburbs. Its a mostly, urban phenomena.

Who was giving the behavior a pass? He claims it just Atlanta and its not.

Any urban area in an America and the world has an adversion to the police and apathy towards the criminals.

Its the same here in Atlanta, NYC, LA, Kingston, JA and others...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 09:18 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It is not just in Georgia. One local TV station has started giving the arrest records of those that commit horrible crimes. It doesn't take long to realize that the problem with crime and repeated crime starts with the court system.

It seems to follow a pattern. Petty theft, then they move up the crime ladder until they commit something that is so big it cannot be ignored anymore. Unfortunately that means that a good citizen or another criminal has to die before anything is done with these killers. Many times it all starts with drugs and we have a religious leader wanting to legalize the drug they usually begin with. Pat Robertson, you are wrong. All drugs should be stopped. There has been nothing but trouble with drugs since alcohol was legalized. We don't need any more drugs legalized.
Pat Robertson??? How is he involved in this problem?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Couldn't agree more. I can't decide what is more pukeworthy; the sociopaths that commit these acts, or the fools on here that apologize for them.
I wish that there was a planet that we could send them to; a planet completely inhabited by aggressive carnivorous plants. Here's your machete; best of luck, POS.
What a creative idea......

um......

Old 12-30-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Meh.

He is a new trooper pretty much. Class of '08 which could play a portion in him underestimating this idiot.

No doubt? This is the same county who couldn't even sentence Brian Nicholas that killed 2 court officers and a sheriff deputy in cold blood to the death penalty. It always pissed me off that they didn't separate the sheriff death from the other counts, just in case.

We may get luck or we may not.

I see his defense attorney is setting up his case already...

Attorney: suspect in trooper shooting is "scared young man" *| ajc.com

Guess, he was too blind to see the blue lights behind him and realize that it was a cop and not a robber who approached the car...
He did not look all that scared in his mug shot photos. Dude looks like a pro thugger....

THUGGER I like that word....

THUGGER!

Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
He did not look all that scared in his mug shot photos. Dude looks like a pro thugger....
He's no kid either. The guy is 30 years old and has been averaging 2 trips to jail every year for the past decade.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
What's not clear is that somehow you interpreted my previous statements as me condoning cop killing. If there is any honesty in what you are saying, please point out in my past comments where I either said outright or suggested that it is okay to kill a cop.
I never said you condoned it. Stop trying to interpret my comments in ways I didn't intend.

What you did try to do is make the case that alleged wrongs by cops make cop killings either less heinous or even excusable in some way. Maybe I misunderstood, but that's how it read to me.

I was actually refering in my comments though to the quote from the bystander and comments by others that somehow there are mitigating factors involved. Some in the minority community tend to view the police as the problem, and whether intentional or not, they feel sympathy for the killer if he's also a minority. Not trying to get racial, but that's a fact.

While it wasn't a cop involved, just look at the OJ fiasco 15 years ago as a prime example of giving the killer a break because of race, and branding the cop as the problem. I don't remember the cop in that case, but remember how he was vilified while OJ was idolized?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:58 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Did anyone else see the 14 Mug shots montage? Interesting progression of facial expressions. First arrest: total shock. Second arrest: scared 'itless. Next ten mug shots: mildly irritated. Final two mug shots: smug and amused.

And did you see the photo of the beautiful officer he killed? What a loss of a fine, fine man.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:09 AM

479 posts, read 702,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
This country has been arming itself for a long time and the seige mentality is just as patently apparent now as it was 234 years ago be it manifest destiny or the Cold War.

You can arm every citizen in the short term, but it will not stop the long term problems. There has to be a clear will & resolve to deal with the problems and create a long term solution even as the people are currently going through those problems.

And figuring those solutions out has to involve ALL levels of society, something that is apparently anathema to "states righters", conservatives, & others who feel kinship with the isolated outlook.
Im not familiar with the "siege mentality". Anyone else?

The "isolated outlook", as you term it, is nothing of the sort.. Actually, its a belief in the right/primacy of the INDIVIDUAL being above the the state/nation at large. It basically says that as long as you are not harming others, you have the right to conduct yourself in whatever manner you choose, and the "gubmt" has no say in the matter. It is the PRINCIPLE upon which this COUNTRY was FOUNDED, as well as the FOUNDATION for the entrepreneurial spirit that has made this country the greatest place to live on the planet.

All levels of society are already involved in creating solutions that are best for themselves and their communities. They do it everyday. The idea that there is some utopian scenario where everyone gets together and "agrees" on some magical solution that eradicates crime and makes society one big cohesive unit is pure fantasy.

A society will always have serious issues. Letting individuals work out their own problems, as long as within the rule of law, is a MUCH better solution than giving Big Brother the reigns. Those in the US who dont agree with this probably never read Orwell's 1984. They should do so immediately.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:35 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,180 times
he was actually smiling on one of his mugshots

Old 12-30-2010, 11:16 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I never said you condoned it. Stop trying to interpret my comments in ways I didn't intend.
If that was the case then you shouldn't have included that last statement directed to me without some sort of disclaimer. You shouldn't make this type of statement hanging in the air:

Quote:
And anyone who condones or approves of shooting a cop has some special problems that need attention.
...and not expect some kind of equally combative response, you just don't. That's very irresponsible, man. It's a big a deal to accuse someone of condoning murder. My opinion, anyways.

Quote:
What you did try to do is make the case that alleged wrongs by cops make cop killings either less heinous or even excusable in some way. Maybe I misunderstood, but that's how it read to me.
No I wasn't. My point is that for an advanced industrial nation this country has an insane fixation with violence and with belligerence.

Rather than continuing to have people frothing at the mouth for revenge in this one case, we should do something to ensure that violence & murder towards people in ALL cases are nullified. THAT was my point.

Quote:
I was actually refering in my comments though to the quote from the bystander and comments by others that somehow there are mitigating factors involved. Some in the minority community tend to view the police as the problem, and whether intentional or not, they feel sympathy for the killer if he's also a minority. Not trying to get racial, but that's a fact.
Then you should have added that point I bolded as a disclaimer in that last response, than to simply just throw me some statement out of nowhere that anyone condoning cop killing has serious issues.

As to the second point, you can pick on the minority community for a perceived shared affinity with criminals, and that's your right, Neil. Just as it is my right to say that white people in general are racially biased in sentencing black people with heavier penalties than they would their fellow brethren for the same crimes, which does indeed happen.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 12-30-2010 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta