Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times

Advertisements

Atlanta's diversity is cause for envy | Opinion | Creative Loafing Atlanta

You might have heard the news about the great strides the country — and Atlanta in particular — has made when it comes to stirring the melting pot. According to recently released census data, three-quarters of the 100 largest U.S. cities have seen segregation rates fall over a five-year period. Many cities are now more integrated than they've been in a century. And Atlanta is among the most noteworthy examples of places where middle-class blacks and whites increasingly live next door.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:10 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post

You might have heard the news about the great strides the country — and Atlanta in particular — has made when it comes to stirring the melting pot. According to recently released census data, three-quarters of the 100 largest U.S. cities have seen segregation rates fall over a five-year period. Many cities are now more integrated than they've been in a century. And Atlanta is among the most noteworthy examples of places where middle-class blacks and whites increasingly live next door.
ITP yep, OTP not so much.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:20 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post

False....Gwinnett, Dekalb, and Cobb County is diverse

Old 12-29-2010, 12:42 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Quote:

Middle class whites and blacks have been living next to each other for a long time here. I don't necessarily see that as diversity, at least not anymore. Blacks and whites have always managed to get along here better than in other places so it's really no surprise that they can live next to each other without all hell breaking loose. This fact hasn't really been that big of a surprise in decades in my opinion. I think it's a good thing that it's becoming more and more common though.

The neighborhoods/cities on the northeast side of town(Toco Hills/Emory area, Chamblee, Doraville, Norcross, and Duluth) as well as areas near the perimeter all around are truly diverse in my opinion. They aren't just black and white, middle class, or one religion. This article seems to totally miss that. That's where I think Atlanta's diversity is really apparent.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:00 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times
So, I guess the definition of diversity is simply whites and blacks living near each other? If that's the case, Atlanta has been "diverse" since it's founding in 1847. CL is a bunch of f*cktards.

Atlanta is not diverse, at least not yet. A "diverse" Atlanta would be one that has at least 10% Asian and 15% Hispanic. But as usual, other minority groups are shunned.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:18 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
I mean this in the most polite way possible... but I'm really starting to think that there are many false perceptions between OTP and ITP. This statement is one of them.

Maybe it is time we stop using a freeway to divide how we see our community.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
The neighborhoods/cities on the northeast side of town(Toco Hills/Emory area, Chamblee, Doraville, Norcross, and Duluth) as well as areas near the perimeter all around are truly diverse in my opinion. They aren't just black and white, middle class, or one religion. This article seems to totally miss that. That's where I think Atlanta's diversity is really apparent.
I completely agree. So often "diversity" is used to mean "there were some blacks and some whites present." As you say, it actually means a whole lot more than that. My nominee for Most Diverse Neighborhood in Atlanta would probably be Lilburn. That's a true melting pot out there.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:16 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Looked at Cobb County recently? Are you really that out of touch?

Mableton was just chosen by the AJC as the community in the metro which best represents the metro as a whole. It's the most "average" in terms of racial mix, incomes, age groups, etc. But Mableton is actually more diverse than the metro as a whole.

In the law of averages, Mableton best reps Atlanta *| ajc.com

It's OTP. So are dozens of other diverse communities.

Have you seen this mapping site? Look at Atlanta. It shows a lot of diversity in the metro, including most of the area known as "OTP".

Mapping America — Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Old 12-30-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Looked at Cobb County recently? Are you really that out of touch?

Mableton was just chosen by the AJC as the community in the metro which best represents the metro as a whole. It's the most "average" in terms of racial mix, incomes, age groups, etc. But Mableton is actually more diverse than the metro as a whole.

In the law of averages, Mableton best reps Atlanta *| ajc.com

It's OTP. So are dozens of other diverse communities.

Have you seen this mapping site? Look at Atlanta. It shows a lot of diversity in the metro, including most of the area known as "OTP".

Mapping America — Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com
I call BS on all this diversity nonsense. Do blacks and whites live next door to each other ALL over Atlanta YES. NO ONE is denying that. However does white flight still exist in Atlanta in MANY areas, YES.

How can an area be considered diverse if a lot of whites are fleeing the area? Sure whites are there but considering an area diverse when whites are leaving at a breakneck pace is disengenious.

How many whites are running to send their kids to a majority minority school anywhere in Atlanta? Once again not asking for specific examples as I know they exist but they are definetely not the norm. Dont believe me just look at the enrollments of these select high schools over the last ten years. Each of these schools have seen their white students drop each and every year while the minority enrollment increases. Some at a shocking pace. These schools are located in each corner of the metro region.

1. McEachern High in Powder Springs
2. Dutchtown High in McDonough
3. Fayette County High in Fayetteville
4. Parkview OR Brookwood in Lilburn
5. Heritgage High in Conyers

How many truly integrated churches do we have in the metro region? Like the question above I know some integrated churches exist but once again a few of these in an area with over 5 million people doesnt constitute much.

Answer these questions above honestly and you will see that Atlanta is still a very segregated place for a metro region with so many minorities.

Now to be fair that doesnt mean that we arent doing a much better job of integration than many other major cities in the US.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
False....Gwinnett, Dekalb, and Cobb County is diverse
Not true, very few parts of the three counties you mentioned have whites, blacks and other minorities living next door and sending their kids to school in harmony.

Lets look at all three:

North Dekalb, mostly white, South Dekalb virtually all black.

North Cobb, mostly white, South Cobb majority minorty with the execption of Vinings.

North Gwinnett mostly white, South Gwinnett all most all Black, Asian & Latino.

Are the counties diverse? Sure but that doesnt mean that the entire county is. They are still very much segregated by race as I mentioned above..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta