Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
How often is the average person going to Stone Mountain? Come on now.
4 million people a year visit Stone Mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 11:23 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
4 million people a year visit Stone Mountain.
Are these tourist or actual residence? This doesn't even answer my question asking how often the average person living in Atlanta goes to Stone Mountain.

Last edited by Onthemove2014; 08-31-2012 at 11:45 AM..

Old 08-31-2012, 11:31 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
I'll be waiting for Chicago's announcement that they have a monadnock comparable to Stone Mountain.
First of all, Stone Mountain isn't an actual mountain but rather the world's largest hunk of exposed gran.ite. Second of all all, those of us from Chicago or who have lived there who truly appreciate what that city has to offer could care less about Stone Mountain. When I first moved to GA I lived in Stone Moutain. I thought the park was nice for what it was but I didnMt find the hunk of granite all that impressive, given that I've seen lots of mountains visiting family in California.

Chicagoans may not have a big piece of stone to climb up or stand on, but I'll take Lake Michigan over Stone Mountain Park any day lol.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Are these tourist or actual residence? This doesn't even answer my question how often the average person living in Atlanta goes to Stone Mountain.
That I don't know.

But at the same time, how many people who reside in Chicago actually go to the ethnic neighborhoods, the theaters or the shops and restaurants downtown?

Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
The big post about Chicago vs. Atlanta was factually correct. I was in Chicago for a while about 2 weeks ago and was really impressed. I hadn't been there in over a decade.

Big metros like Chicago and NYC, and even smaller metros like Boston, Portland and Minneapolis have really improved a lot over the past decade. Bike trails everywhere, new public parks, and new trains and other modes of public transport, along with tons of new small businesses like coffee shops, cafes, restaurants and specialty retail which make the urban areas seem vibrant. Crime is also way down in most of these places. When I read through threads like this one, I feel like many posters haven't been to other cities in a while. I thought that some of the places I listed seemed dumpy and/or crime ridden 20 years ago, but they sure aren't any more. Moreover, Atlanta has not kept up with them, and it seems like it hasn't even kept up with itself. When I read some of the reminiscing posts, it sounds like there was more going on here 10-15 years ago.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:48 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
That I don't know.

But at the same time, how many people who reside in Chicago actually go to the ethnic neighborhoods, the theaters or the shops and restaurants downtown?
When I lived there I did on a WEEKLY basis, so did my friends at the time. My friends there right now still do. That's just the Chicago way of life. In high school we'd even play hookie from school sometimes to either go shop downtown or go to the musuems on Thursday free days. Lol

We didn't not do things because of the weather either. I was on the go all year round there.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 08-31-2012 at 12:03 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 11:54 AM

The question I have is what's so all-fired important about everything being urban? Here in Atlanta you can get a great house at an affordable price, with some elbow room, good schools, all in reasonable proximity to your job.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:57 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
Quote:
The question I have is what's so all-fired important about everything being urban? Here in Atlanta you can get a great house at an affordable price, with some elbow room, good schools, all in reasonable proximity to your job.
That is a great question. These discussions generally go nowhere, because I think people who like Atlanta are more suburban oriented, and simply don't care about the things people who like Chicago, NYC , etc think is important. Same with LA vs. NYC and other similar city comparison arguments, when one of the cities is just totally different than the other one.

The most honest answer is probably that someone who really likes Chicago or any of the other renewed urban environments will probably not like Atlanta unless they are looking for a completely different lifestyle. The people I know who moved to Atlanta and liked it are from places like Long Island or New Jersey where it's sort of a similar suburban environment, but it's much cheaper here.

Last edited by rzzz; 08-31-2012 at 12:10 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 12:09 PM

668 posts, read 994,294 times
Quote:
I'll be waiting for Chicago's announcement that they have a monadnock comparable to Stone Mountain.
You missed that announcement by 120 years or so.

Monadnock Building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I used to love going into that building. Like going back in time.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:22 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,100 times
Quote:
That I don't know.

Sounds like everyday/week stuff to me. Have you ever lived in a real city before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta