Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on expanding MARTA?
Yes, we need MARTA to be expanded and I will use. 173 73.31%
I probably won't use it, but expanding MARTA is a good idea. 25 10.59%
I don't care. 6 2.54%
I don't want MARTA to be expanded. 32 13.56%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:53 PM

218 posts, read 1,186,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
Metropolitan refers to region or in this case the Atlanta region. It doesn't just include Atlanta and some select cities close by, but all areas which contribute to activity which makes up the Atlanta region. This means Atlanta and all its suburbs are included when you talk about Metropolitan area. MARTA was originally intended to serve Clayton, Cobb, Dekalb, Gwinnett and Fulton counties, not just Fulton and Dekalb. As the region grows other areas should be included. The other counties just didn't (and still don't) want it.
My friend's mom has been working for Marta for over twenty years and that's what she told me Metro Atlanta meant, especially in Marta's case. But I see your point. You are right; those counties still don't want it. I don't even see it going out that far and even if it does, places in the metro area are so spread out, even Marta won't even be able to accommodate the growth; it's having enough trouble maintaining it's current system.

Here's an interesting point; I have a friend who is a train engineer (drives the trains) for Marta. When he was in training, the focus wasn't so much as to how to directly route the train or, I guess, "get it to move", but, 95% of the training was troubleshooting; what to do it something goes WRONG because of how old the trains are. Expanding that? How, when the trains and buses we have are in great need of replacing? Just gut the whole system and start from scratch. If a house is very old, what point is it to "add-on"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 01:01 PM

218 posts, read 1,186,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
ATlienGirl, you make some interesting points, but do other major cities with rail transit not go out into neighboring counties? Whatever it takes to get a rail system county-wide should be done. Even if the name changes to Spongebob Transit Authority. You say people are still going to drive with a train station near their home. I'll bet you that those far out places like Suwanee and Peachtree City would see a huge amount of people riding a train into town. Even if people in Sandy Springs feel close enough to drive, they could see their commutes ease up with people farther out taking a train.

The lines are already partly built in the right directions. Just keep them going out. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Marta is already county-wide; it serves most of Fulton County and parts of DeKalb. I know people who moved to Peachtree City and Suwanee just get AWAY from Marta. If rapid transit went out there, those people would have a fit, just like they have in the past few years when talks about expanded it to Macon came up a few years back. I'm not being hypothetical I come in contact with a lot of people; I know people that live close to the College Park train station, work downtown, and STILL drive to work. It doesn't make sense, but that's what they do.

If Marta came out to Fayetteville and I worked downtown, I'd jump right on it. But, for some people, they think that public transportation will bring in a certain class of people less desirable to live around. I have heard time and time again from some Clayton County residents about how Clayton County was a great place to be before C-Tran, their county bus system brought the whole county down, thus, making these "less desirable classes of people" able to get around in the county, per say.

Even if we wanted it to expand, let's face it; it won't. If it hadn't by now, it's not going to. Maybe they can have an Extreme Marta Makeover or something to get it to other areas in the Metro area.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:09 PM

826 posts, read 3,112,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Having access to MARTA never improved any area in Greator Atlanta. There is no way I would want MARTA to encroach further outside of Atlanta ruining more communities. If you like living in the City, stay in the city. If you don't like driving from one of the outside countys to downtown Atlanta - then don't work there. Just because some people don't like traffic is no reason to screw up a perfectly good town that doesn't want anything to do with Atlanta.
As someone who is not from Atlanta, I have a couple questions. How has Marta ruined areas? How would you feel about a commuter rail instead?To you think its really realistic to tell people to quit their jobs downtown? How many people do you know that actually like the traffic?

Old 07-16-2007, 01:35 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,166,261 times
I know of no one in Atlanta that likes the traffic. However I know of many people who hate MARTA - hate it so much that they would move away from it. MARTA has done nothing to eliminate traffic. There is no question that lower income people rely on MARTA. Why would someone who spent $800,000 on a house in an area that doesn't have MARTA want a MARTA station to move in, opening the path for cheap condos, cheap appartments, more burger and frenchfry eateries, and cheap housing all around the new MARTA stop? That's exactly what MARTA brings to an area - crap!

Old 07-16-2007, 01:37 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,327,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGirl View Post
How, when the trains and buses we have are in great need of replacing? Just gut the whole system and start from scratch. If a house is very old, what point is it to "add-on"?
Marta is sort of doing that right now. Right now they are in process of gutting all their train cars and redoing them so they will be more reliable, cleaner and more attractive. There are many improvements happening now which are meant to make Marta a better system (such as the new gates), unfortunately the poor leadership and Marta’s HQ makes for poor implementation of upgrades.

I can’t figure out what areas were ruined by Marta but I guess Dunwoody and Sandy Springs have become pretty undesirable areas to live with some very cheap housing. If you look at other cities, often times some of the most desirable parts of town are near transit stops.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:42 PM

823 posts, read 2,210,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
As someone who is not from Atlanta, I have a couple questions. How has Marta ruined areas? How would you feel about a commuter rail instead?To you think its really realistic to tell people to quit their jobs downtown? How many people do you know that actually like the traffic?
It's not that they like the traffic it's that they hate the idea of transit more. As ATLienGirl pointed out there is a real fear of "what transit brings" with a lot of suburbanites. It is entirely irrational but it is what it is.

I'd like to say that Atlanta will get better transit, it's just a matter of time but that just isn't the case. Until the state decides to support MARTA or the GRTA or create some other agency and actually fund it Atlanta won't get a transit system fitting of a city its size. When you consider all the constraints MARTA is under they do a very good job.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:54 PM

826 posts, read 3,112,639 times
I work in Sandy Springs near Dunwoody Station. Its really nice out here and many homes cost 800k+. In regards to cheap Condos and fast food places the solution is simple. Don't allow them. Developers come to our neighborhood association before they file papers with the city. If we don't like the project we reject it. Make sure your area is zoned accordingly. My neighborhood in NW DC did not allow Condos or townhouses. You could not have houses built too closely together, you were even prohibited from renting out your basement.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:03 PM

513 posts, read 1,627,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
I can’t figure out what areas were ruined by Marta but I guess Dunwoody and Sandy Springs have become pretty undesirable areas to live with some very cheap housing. If you look at other cities, often times some of the most desirable parts of town are near transit stops.
Man, I tell ya, the kind of thinking about MARTA ruining someone's area drives me insane. I just don't get it. I really don't. Some people seem to really be afraid of change, even one that would benefit many. And I wonder if these people have ever travelled to other countries/cities that rely on trains and do it right.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:12 PM

187 posts, read 916,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Either way, cars or express buses are NOT enough in a city like Atlanta as it is today, and will grow in the future.
I agree with AtlantaGreg's replies. Right on point.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:07 PM

563 posts, read 2,767,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Man, I tell ya, the kind of thinking about MARTA ruining someone's area drives me insane. I just don't get it. I really don't. Some people seem to really be afraid of change, even one that would benefit many. And I wonder if these people have ever travelled to other countries/cities that rely on trains and do it right.

I was thinking the same thing.

I think the DC metro is a great model of a transit system that works and transcends all socio-economic levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta