Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:14 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,317,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post

Falcons have to play: Seattle, Washington, IN San Francisco, IN Green Bay, New England, IN New Orleans, again against New Orleans, Tampa Bay twice, and Carolina twice who is going to be getting better VERY SOON...
This is the line up for next season? How is the regular season schedule decided? They actually decide it before the previous season ends??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 10:32 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
This is the line up for next season? How is the regular season schedule decided? They actually decide it before the previous season ends??
Yup...

Well, you already know that 6 games are against the other 3 teams in the division.

then, there's a rotation. This 2012-2013 season, Falcons played the NFC East teams. Last season Falcons played NFC North. So next season, 2013-2014, Falcons will have to play all 4 of the NFC West teams.

THEN, every team plays the team in the other 2 leftover divisions (in next years' case, NFC North and NFC East) that finished the season in the same position in their division as your team. Falcons finished 1st in NFC South, so Falcons will play 1st in NFC North (Green Bay) and 1st in NFC East (Washington).

Then, just like the rotation in the NFC, there's a inter-conference rotation. This season, Falcons played the AFC West teams (Denver, Oakland, KC, SD). Last season, Falcons played AFC South. Next season, Falcons will play AFC East...

That completes Falcons' schedule.

The AWAY and HOME is already decided, but the dates aren't posted yet.

ATLANTA FALCONS 2013 SCHEDULE
HOME GAMES: Panthers, Buccaneers, Saints, Patriots, Jets, Redskins, Rams, Seahawks
AWAY GAMES: Carolina, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, San Francisco, Arizona, Green Bay, Buffalo, Miami

2013 Atlanta Falcons Football Schedule

Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 PM

Falcons going west twice. Falcons playing in the cold twice.
Home vs Patriots, Skins, Rams, Saints and Seahawks. BIG home games

Saints, Buccs and Panthers will be better next season, so the Falcons have to bring it.

easiest games all year will probably be IN Miami, IN Buffalo and home vs Jets.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:48 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
Quote:
Falcons offseason needs:

RB
OG
TE
DT
DE
ILB
OLB
CB
Punt/Kickoff returner

That's 9 positions with BIG holes in them on the Falcons. Any thouhts on how it will get done?

You have 7 draft picks.
Atlanta set to be the #29th or 30th pick in the 1st round.

Free Agents
2013 NFL Free Agent Tracker
RB: They need to draft a young fast running back. Eddie Lacy of Alabama should be there.
OG: They need a veteran player at this position
TE: TE is up in the air, I would recommend going with a veteran
DT: Plenty of fresh picks in the draft
DE: Plenty of fresh picks in the draft
ILB: I think a Manti te'o type, big middle linebacker would compliment Spoon, Peterson and Dent must go
OLB: We have Sean Weatherspoon and Nicholas so we are good, Jarvis Jones would be a dream though
CB: We have Dunta Robinson and Brent Grimes, solid at that position, William Moore is good at Strong Safety but we need a harder hitting and faster free safety, I think Ed Reed is a free agent.
Return man again is a toss up.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,317,437 times
Quote:
Yup...

Well, you already know that 6 games are against the other 3 teams in the division.

then, there's a rotation. This 2012-2013 season, Falcons played the NFC East teams. Last season Falcons played NFC North. So next season, 2013-2014, Falcons will have to play all 4 of the NFC West teams.

THEN, every team plays the team in the other 2 leftover divisions (in next years' case, NFC North and NFC East) that finished the season in the same position in their division as your team. Falcons finished 1st in NFC South, so Falcons will play 1st in NFC North (Green Bay) and 1st in NFC East (Washington).

Then, just like the rotation in the NFC, there's a inter-conference rotation. This season, Falcons played the AFC West teams (Denver, Oakland, KC, SD). Last season, Falcons played AFC South. Next season, Falcons will play AFC East...

That completes Falcons' schedule.

The AWAY and HOME is already decided, but the dates aren't posted yet.

HOME GAMES: Panthers, Buccaneers, Saints, Patriots, Jets, Redskins, Rams, Seahawks
AWAY GAMES: Carolina, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, San Francisco, Arizona, Green Bay, Buffalo, Miami

2013 Atlanta Falcons Football Schedule
Thanks for this tutorial. You must be a true football fanatic to know all this detail, casual watchers wouldn't know. I think this is a little arbitrary, and can lead to easy/hard seasons. And leads to not the best playoff experience. I think NBA regular season is more balanced and rigorous, and sets the right tone for the playoffs. What do you think?

Are you in Seattle? How attached are you to the Atlanta teams? I recall you said something about Pike Market (if Atlanta won last week) in an earlier posting. Do you have to return any favors now?!

Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks for this tutorial. You must be a true football fanatic to know all this detail, casual watchers wouldn't know. I think this is a little arbitrary, and can lead to easy/hard seasons. And leads to not the best playoff experience. I think NBA regular season is more balanced and rigorous, and sets the right tone for the playoffs. What do you think?

Are you in Seattle? How attached are you to the Atlanta teams? I recall you said something about Pike Market (if Atlanta won last week) in an earlier posting. Do you have to return any favors now?!
Anytime...
I wouldn't say I'm "fanatic," however I HAVE been described as such before.

Friends tell me I'm TOO invested sometimes. Whatever... WTH do they know!

I have been a Falcons fan since the mid 80s. Been an Atlanta fan period since then. Braves, Hawks, Knights, Falcons, Thrashers, Dream, Force, Bulldogs, etc...
I was only in Seattle on business. AND get this, the guy I traveled with was a Seahawks fan. I'm no longer there, thank goodness... I'm in DC now, headed to Norfolk this week, then will be out to San Diego in a couple weeks.

Luckily, I don't owe any favors... HOWEVER I came close to winning a pretty good bet. Back in 2010, made a 4 way bet with some co-workers. a Lions fan, a Jets fan and a Redskins fan.
That year, the Skins had just picked up McNabb and he thought they were Superbowl bound. The Lions had just drafter Stafford, and the Lions fan had hope. The Jets fan believed in Mark Sanchez and I believed in Ryan.

Whoever's team wins the Superbowl first, the others have to pay that person $100 PLUS $50 each year after 2010. So far, the pot is up to $600. Well, I WOULD have won $600. We even stated back then that the bet will granfather down to our children if we die before our teams win...
I guess next season, the pot will be $750 ($250 each).

So, as long as the Falcons win a Superbowl before the Skins, Jets and Lions, I'm okay...

Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Quote:
Anytime...
I wouldn't say I'm "fanatic," however I HAVE been described as such before.

Friends tell me I'm TOO invested sometimes. Whatever... WTH do they know!

I have been a Falcons fan since the mid 80s. Been an Atlanta fan period since then. Braves, Hawks, Knights, Falcons, Thrashers, Dream, Force, Bulldogs, etc...
I was only in Seattle on business. AND get this, the guy I traveled with was a Seahawks fan. I'm no longer there, thank goodness... I'm in DC now, headed to Norfolk this week, then will be out to San Diego in a couple weeks.

Luckily, I don't owe any favors... HOWEVER I came close to winning a pretty good bet. Back in 2010, made a 4 way bet with some co-workers. a Lions fan, a Jets fan and a Redskins fan.
That year, the Skins had just picked up McNabb and he thought they were Superbowl bound. The Lions had just drafter Stafford, and the Lions fan had hope. The Jets fan believed in Mark Sanchez and I believed in Ryan.

Whoever's team wins the Superbowl first, the others have to pay that person $100 PLUS $50 each year after 2010. So far, the pot is up to $600. Well, I WOULD have won $600. We even stated back then that the bet will granfather down to our children if we die before our teams win...
I guess next season, the pot will be $750 ($250 each).

So, as long as the Falcons win a Superbowl before the Skins, Jets and Lions, I'm okay...
We obviously have the toughest schedule, as we should because of our record. You can bet that Seattle, Washington, and San Fran will be nationally games.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
We obviously have the toughest schedule, as we should because of our record. You can bet that Seattle, Washington, and San Fran will be nationally games.
I agree.

I'm going to make my guess now and say Atlanta gets 4 prime time games. 2 MNF, 1 TNF and 1 SNF

New Orleans - MNF
San Francisco - MNF
Seattle - SNF
New England - TNF

Then probably a couple 1pm games will be national
Washington
Carolina
Maybe Green Bay

Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:

I don't know any other way of making it UNarbitrary, if you allow me to make up a word. It rotates the teams the best possible way in a 16 game schedule for every team to play every other team as regularly as possible. Of course the division games should always be there, home and home every year to build that local rivalry.

The Falcons finished second last year so should have had a schedule rated a little on the tougher side, but their schedule was routinely blasted all year for being too easy. But unlike college football where you can pick and choose games outside your conference, this UNarbitrary schedule lets the chips fall where they may, you can't fault the franchise for making up an easy schedule. It follows this formula year after year.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,374 times
Quote:
Falcons going west twice. Falcons playing in the cold twice.
Home vs Patriots, Skins, Rams, Saints and Seahawks. BIG home games

Saints, Buccs and Panthers will be better next season, so the Falcons have to bring it.

easiest games all year will probably be IN Miami, IN Buffalo and home vs Jets.
Really? Well I hope that easy game in Buffalo will be in DECEMBER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta