Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:58 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,646 times

Advertisements

African-Americans provided 58 percent of Democratic primary votes — and 1 percent of GOP ballots | Political Insider

Also for the first time in state history Blacks made up the majority of Democrat voters in this state in a general primary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
African-Americans provided 58 percent of Democratic primary votes — and 1 percent of GOP ballots | Political Insider

Also for the first time in state history Blacks made up the majority of Democrat voters in this state in a general primary.
This validates my point made in the other thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ou-view-2.html

Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
This validates my point made in the other thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ou-view-2.html
That is why I posted it. Atleast in this state it is hard to argue that Blacks arent almost totally in the Democrats camp.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:19 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,715 times
As of now yes Black tend to vote Democratic, however that can change. My Great-Grandparents always voted republican.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:36 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
There are plenty of blacks who are fiscal and social conservatives. The problem Republicans have is that since the 1960s Southern Republicans (formerly Democrats) have typically lined up in opposition to issues like the Civil Rights Act, affirmative action, and other social programs that would have favored blacks. In the meantime the Democrats cast themselves as the minority-friendly party. So it's not surprising that you have Southern blacks almost exclusively on the the Democratic side.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:57 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Is anyone truly surprised by this?

The inability of the Republican party to adjust themselves in such a way to appeal to a sizable chunk of African-American voters, or even acknowledge that there is something currently wrong with the message and polices of the party that precludes such a thing from happening, will mean this will continue for some time to come.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:44 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
It is tone deaf, to use the current phrase. Republicans can win on sheer numbers right now, but before long their traditional constituency will no longer be a majority. If they don't change their pitch to reach out to minorities (especially Hispanics) the Democrats will ultimately win on demographics.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It is tone deaf, to use the current phrase. Republicans can win on sheer numbers right now, but before long their traditional constituency will no longer be a majority. If they don't change their pitch to reach out to minorities (especially Hispanics) the Democrats will ultimately win on demographics.
Yup, though I don't think it will happen as soon as some people think it will and I do believe Republicans will still be able pull of big victories on the national and local level for some time.

You hit the nail right on the head with tone deafness. Especially when it comes to Latin Americans. All of the mistakes they made in keeping the African-American vote in the last century, they're making again with the Latino vote in this century.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:39 AM

56 posts, read 121,647 times
The problem Black Americans are going to have in the future is that we are not going to be America's "favorite" minority for too much longer.

Hispanics are here, and they are here to stay. Mexifornia and the South West has made them into a seizable force. Amnesty will be here in some form or another.

So there will be 20mil new voters that both parties need to pander too. So I believe the only way for Black Americans to "survive" the next 50 years. Is to have an almost 50/50 split between both parties.

But it seems that every year. Some Republican makes a racial slur/joke/reference. That just keeps Blacks voting along party lines. It's like the Republicans can't seem to get out of their own way.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:51 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
I can't believe a full one percent of Georgia blacks voted Republican. That's outrageous. Given the current state of the Republican party, I'd expect the percentage to be much lower ... more like .001 percent, if that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta