Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:34 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Well it was officially -8 (airport), some suburbs were in the -10 to -13 range, back on January 21, 1985 in Atlanta. Wind chills were approaching -50 in Atlanta.
We had 0 on Christmas eve in 1983. Yes a lot of this is from volcanic eruptions this year, it is basically squashing the La Nina effect.
I remember that date.

Schools were closed because of the cold (kids at bus-stops, frozen pipes, etc.).

Our teacher asked us, "Do y'all know why schools were closed yesterday?" We all said because of the snow... (there was snow the week before). She replied, "No--because it was so cold!"

I was attending an elementary school in East Cobb at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 11:38 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Am I the only one who thinks a link might be helpful?
I agree. Brent, could you please provide a link or something so that we know that you are not pulling this from your a$$!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
When the Coldpocalypse is upon us remember that Waronxmas will be hoarding milk, bread, and two-buck-chuck. Bidding starts $50, $75, $150 respectively.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 AM

719 posts, read 1,697,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Some of the coldest air since 1985 is expected to plunge in to most of the USA by the 10-20th of this month. Some computer models are spitting out sub zero temperatures for Atlanta, and Atlanta's record of -9 in 1899 could be in jeopardy, so much for La Nina and global warming.
This could be a very dangerous and life threatening situation.
I'm skeptical.

I'm looking right now at the 10-day forecast at the Weather Channel for Minneapolis (always 4-5 days ahead of the South with any Arctic outbreaks) and I don't see anything out of the ordinary for that location.

Are you sure still using that Farmers Almanac for your weather outlooks?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:56 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,710,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Am I the only one who thinks a link might be helpful?
I will put one up later today. I want a few more runs of the models. Especially the Euro, and GFS.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:02 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
I'm skeptical.

I'm looking right now at the 10-day forecast at the Weather Channel for Minneapolis (always 4-5 days ahead of the South with any Arctic outbreaks) and I don't see anything out of the ordinary for that location.

Are you sure still using that Farmers Almanac for your weather outlooks?
That's because he's probably looking at long range meteorological data that doesn't make it's way to the forecasts you see on weather.com and other websites/news stations. The reason why is that data is usually hit or miss and doesn't become stable until a few days before an event. That's when all of the public gets the info. With that said, the weather.com 10 day forecast is essentially useless.

Last edited by waronxmas; 01-04-2011 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 12:05 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,710,840 times
FOX Carolina Weather Center Blog from FOX Carolina WHNS-TV

Look at Joe Bastardi video from Accuweather.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:13 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,466 times
Well, I guess that funkiness just kind of fits in with the record 100 year flooding we had last year... like they say, if you don't like the weather now, just wait - it'll change!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:24 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's because he's probably looking at long range meteorological data that doesn't make it's way to the forecasts you see on weather.com and other websites/news stations. The reason why is that data is usually hit or miss and doesn't become stable until a few days before an event. That's when all of the public gets the info. With that said, the weather.com 10 day forecast is essentially useless.
Interesting. I've never bothered looking into that data, probably because I find the 10-day forecast to be a reasonable enough, if imperfect estimate of the weather trend. So I don't think I'd go so far as to call it useless. And in winter, especially further North, it does seem to be fairly reliable in predicting the likely intensity of cold fronts (for example when you see that the high temp is expected to plunge to 10F you know it's a pretty strong arctic front, though the actual high will likely be off by a few degrees), if not so great in terms of forecasting snow events, but even in Summer the 10-day can be pretty good at forecasting when the next high pressure system will set up, long periods of high temps, and cooling trends, etc.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Those dates totally coincide with the surprise Christmas trip my DH gave me: St. Bart's! Keep in touch; I feel for you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta