Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:18 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times

Advertisements

The map was created in or before 2008 & therefore, doesn't accurately reflect the current high unemployment or the lingering economic crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Atlanta is one of the best cities in America for future job growth! 95% of the other cities in America wish they had the job growth Atlanta has.

Atlanta’s in the sweet spot for corporate locations
Atlanta’s in the sweet spot for corporate locations | Atlanta Business Chronicle

Georgia Ranks #6 for Best Business
Best States for Business | Atlanta Job Growth | Atlanta Real Estate Forum

Atlanta’s Job Growth Should Lead to Strong Apartment Market Recovery
MARKET SNAPSHOT: Atlanta’s Job Growth Should Lead to Strong Apartment Market Recovery | Multi-Housing News Online

Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I wonder why people always question positive Atlanta threads…..If this thread had said Atlanta was ranked #6 in something negative nobody would question this artivle
What, you've got to be kidding me?! FYI...I love Georgia and my post was optimistic NOT negative because I know for a fact (based on the amount of resumes we get EVERYDAY) that the unemployment rate is very high in GA.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:56 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Atlanta View Post
Then why is it hard for guys with degrees to get a job here? Why do employers here play games?
It's not just HERE it is the same thing in every large city/metro! I know people in NYC out of work for more than 2 years and at the same I know people in NYC that just graduated and got a job fairly quickly. Same thing for people I know in San Francisco. Some get interviews and are told when they will hear back, and then they don't hear back (sounds like playing games to me). It all depends on your experience, who you know/your connections, and LUCK. But trust me when I say it isn't just here.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:16 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
The map was created in or before 2008 & therefore, doesn't accurately reflect the current high unemployment or the lingering economic crisis.
Oh ok.. that explains why most of us are surprised. Outdated data.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:55 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
What, you've got to be kidding me?! FYI...I love Georgia and my post was optimistic NOT negative because I know for a fact (based on the amount of resumes we get EVERYDAY) that the unemployment rate is very high in GA.
Yup, according to the DOL our UE rate is 10.1% and has gone UP from 9.6 and 9.8 from previous months.

This map is through 8/2010 and is updated on a regular basis...watch Georgia change color and STAY dark.

geographyofarecession

Or this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mployment_rate

I live in NE GA and I've watched as stores close and continue to close in my area creating a sense of "ghost towns". I've yet to see a recovery and GA continues to bleed jobs, there are way more layoffs than new jobs created.

Last edited by ReturningWest; 01-05-2011 at 06:10 AM..

Old 01-05-2011, 06:16 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
I'm skeptical of any jobs list that exludes Dallas and Houston and includes New York.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:55 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
I'm sorry to say it, but I don't think anyone should put much stock in this "study". It seems like they are just rattling off big market cities in hopes to get a bunch of clicks for their job search site.

I don't see a huge amount of Atlanta's economic woes turning around until the country's fortunes and the south's fortunes turn. Being a diversified regional hub is a double-edged sword, it seems: it's hard not to perform well during the boom times, but it's hard to perform particularly well during bust times too.

Still, I'd keep our position over a number of cities, especially cities such as Las Vegas, Detroit, Chicago, and Phoenix. We have an edge over every single city within a 400 mile radius when it comes to attracting talent and business. No other state has an answer to us as economic capital of the region. So when things start to improve in Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, the Carolinas, and the rest of the state, it will benefit us directly. And it's extremely hard to see the demographic trends of the last generation completely fall apart in the long run due to the recession--it's hard to picture people and businesses magically preferring cold weather, high costs, and stringent regulations when they've done exactly the opposite for decades now.

The sky ain't falling folks, but there's no easy way out of this one. Cheer for a recovery, no matter your political stripes.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,210 times
I believe it. My company's US Headquarters are here and we hired a ton of people last year and are still growing and actively recruiting. Additionally, I am sure the rising Film Industry here also has something to do with it. Unfortunately I believe the rest of GA has still been hurt by the loss of construction and manufacturing jobs.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
I'm happy Atlanta is receiving this job growth. Our future looks great. It will take a couple of years b4 the rest of Ga to receive this growth unless you are in Columbus or Savannah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta