Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 10:54 PM

16 posts, read 144,238 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I are moving to Atlanta in June, we sold our current home in Chicago so we have begun the process of finding a home in Atlanta we know where in Atlanta we want to live we just have to decide on a house or condo. We have broken up Buckhead into the sections we prefer. We are focusing on Tuxedo Park(most preferable), Peachtree Heights West(Andrews Drive specifically), and the West Wesley Road area. We are even looking at the luxury condo buildings in Buckhead because some are having great deals. We never thought of a condo for moving to Atlanta tell we viewed one out of curiosity, I never thought Atlanta would have condo buildings like they have now, we live in a luxury condo in Chicago so we are used to that type of lifestyle. We were wondering though is it a good idea to buy a luxury condo in Atlanta??, we do not plan on selling for a while. We are both from Macon originally so we have been to Atlanta plenty of times and we know many people who live there.

That is the easy part of the move though! The worst part is applying to schools! Our oldest son is starting kindergarten next year so we have all our applications done. We we will be applying/have applied at Lovett, Westminster, Pace, Woodward, Galloway, Holy Innocents', and Atlanta International. We currently have our son at a very reputable private school in Chicago for Pre-K so that has helped a lot in the application/admissions process. So does anybody have some more information about the schools? We have visited all of them so we are familiar with location and all that.
To rank them would be hard, but we are basically only interested in Lovett, Westminster, Pace, and Woodward. The other ones we are just applying to apply too. We are permanently moving to Atlanta there is no chance of us leaving so we want to make sure everything we do makes the move perfect. The problem with Woodward is definitely the location, but we still really loved the feel of the school. Do many students attend Woodward reside in Buckhead? Also what school would be best for guaranteeing acceptance for siblings? We also have a one year old son so the time will eventually come again when we have to do the application process again.

Also for the schools if it matters I am Presbyterian and my wife is Episcopalian. Our sons were both baptized as Presbyterian though, because I know some of the schools I mentioned are affiliated with churches.

Last edited by MovingtoAtlanta!; 01-04-2011 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Added Important details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,674 times
Hi MovingToAtlanta! Buckhead is a wonderful area! And yes, the condos now are unlike anything Atlanta has experienced in decades past. Last year, the Wall Street Journal advised that home prices aren't expected to rise in 2011, so if you want to call Atlanta home for a while then this may very well be primte time for purchasing a condo rather than renting.

A few month ago I did a blog post about condos in Midtown Atlanta as well, which sounds like it would be a smooth transition for you from Chicago city life into one of the South's biggest metropolitan areas! Feel free to check it out Moderator cut: [Moderator cut: not allowed, read TOS
The Lovett school is a fantastic facility! They have such a diverse offering of extracurricular activities and they really want to see students succeed, academically and in life! If you can get your son in there, I am sure he would be very happy. Everyone I've met that has been through their programs seems incredibly well-rounded...

Best of luck on your move and your process with the schools! Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have!

Amanda

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-10-2011 at 10:28 AM..

Old 01-05-2011, 12:57 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
As for schools: have you considered the Galloway School? It was founded by a former Westminster official who wanted to offer students an experience that differs from that of the schools you mentioned. I have two children at Westminster and one in public school. I will tell you, from my experience, I wish we had looked more seriously into Galloway. Just my two cents...

Old 01-05-2011, 04:50 PM

Thanks so much for all of the great information!
I have spent most of the day with my wife reading everything online about the schools we have visited all of the schools we have applied/are applying for so we know them well. I found some interesting things written by students online, I would not believe everything a high schooler writes online but some of the stuff seems pretty plausible. We did read that they had to do drug testing in the HS at Woodward. We are going to remove Westminster from our top list, it seems to intense for our liking. So we are down to a top three with Woodward, Lovett, and Pace. We love Lovett especially the campus, we rather private schools where everything is on one campus. Pace is also great but their campus has some of the athletic fields located kind of out of the way. If we go with a condo it would be off West Paces Ferry or Peachtree(It would be the St. Regis or Sovereign or Mansion on Peachtree) so Lovett and Pace Academy are in amazing locations. Then there is Woodward which is great also but it is kind of far, and do many kids from Buckhead go there? The location of Woodward is also a bit odd, such as the surroundings. We also would prefer the school to have a strong sense of school spirit, I have always noticed schools with the best spirit tend to have nicer students. In all honesty we want the academics to be good but we want for the school to have lots of offerings of sports, arts, community service, student gov't, and other activities. We found Lovett and Pace had more of that than Westminster, they felt very intense. We like for the school to be a bit relaxed, but not like Paideia!
So more information on Lovett, Woodward, and Pace Academy would be great! And if anybody has any comments about the St. Regis(our favorite overall), Sovereign, or Mansion on Peachtree please comment!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,674 times
[quote=allmysonsatlanta;17271875]Hi MovingToAtlanta! Buckhead is a wonderful area! And yes, the condos now are unlike anything Atlanta has experienced in decades past. Last year, the Wall Street Journal advised that home prices aren't expected to rise in 2011, so if you want to call Atlanta home for a while then this may very well be primte time for purchasing a condo rather than renting.

A few month ago I did a blog post about condos in Midtown Atlanta as well, which sounds like it would be a smooth transition for you from Chicago city life into one of the South's biggest metropolitan areas!Moderator cut: no ads
The Lovett school is a fantastic facility! They have such a diverse offering of extracurricular activities and they really want to see students succeed, academically and in life! If you can get your son in there, I am sure he would be very happy. Everyone I've met that has been through their programs seems incredibly well-rounded...

Best of luck on your move and your process with the schools! Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-10-2011 at 10:29 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 06:22 PM

I was just reading another post and it mentioned that Woodward Academy is in a dangerous area, is this true? I have been to Woodward and the area is not Buckhead I know, but is it that bad? Maybe is that why there has been mentions of a high rate of drug use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: