Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 04:51 AM

88 posts, read 491,231 times

Advertisements

Just want to ask those that came here without landing a job how this goes. If you have gotten a job after your move, how long did it take? where did you apply? Is it true that people with higher degrees will take long before they land a good job?

I have been here for about 2 weeks now, and have sent...oh I don't know how many resumes......Is there such a thing as overqualified? The first job that I was offered was at an insurance company....selling insurance to seniors.....that really is not my turf!!!!!!

After 12 years in executive management abroad, I don't see my self making cold calls or visits.

Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 06:50 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
Why are you limiting yourself to jobs in Gwinnett? It is not one of the top job centers in metro Atlanta. You should expand your search to Perimeter, midtown, downtown, etc.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:33 AM

Thanks! I will do that.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:59 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
maroule, it is best to find several headhunters or executive recruiters. It is highly unlikely you will get a job through online application due to your highly specialized skills. I don't know your industry so I cannot give your any firm. But I got my last two jobs through recruiters.

Last edited by jxu66; 07-18-2007 at 06:17 PM..

Old 07-20-2007, 09:10 PM

Thank you so much for the insight. I will make sure that recruiters see me. I got a listing of headhunters from the chamber of Commerce. I will get to work ASAP. thank you so much!

Maroule

Old 07-22-2007, 07:14 AM

31 posts, read 113,405 times
I sent my resume out to every position available in my field in the newspaper,with no response for two weeks. Even recruiters didn't seem to have any urgency. Unlike in NY when I sent my resume, there was a huge demand with someone with my qualifications in my field. I could pratically pick my next job.

So. I decided to think outside the box. I went on line and searched for companies in Atlanta that I would want to work for and faxed my resume to them, and within a day, my phone was ringing...and had job offers.

You'll need to broaden your search to Atlanta, Buckhead and Midtown, don't be limited to Gwinett.

The commute is not so bad. I travel to Atlanta and it's fine. Granted I avoid 285 which is where the traffic is.

Good Luck.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:46 AM

7 posts, read 41,649 times
Question Is Lawrenceville,Gwinnett a realisted place to move for a newcomer?

I have been considering Lawrenceville, Gwinnett for the pass 3yrs. Georgia for pass 8yrs. I'm finally on the move. I'm out of my current place August 31 and finally making the BIG MOVE!!! I'm excited as well as uninformed. I have study and researched the internet, I've had information sent to me from every agancy I could find. I've been to Georgia many times but I have not spent time in Lawrenceville. I'll be looking at homes in 30045 & 30044 next week to rent. I want your feedback on what I could not ascertain via my searches. Jobs, schools, Traffic to Atl from Lawrenceville how far. What can I expect good move or not
I'll be long way from home!
Your comments are greatly appreciated

Old 07-23-2007, 08:29 PM

Default thanks

Yes, goodbyenyc, searching the companies does help....I was told however to land the really good paying jobs, recruiters were the route to go. Thanks for the advice!

maroule

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyenyc View Post
I sent my resume out to every position available in my field in the newspaper,with no response for two weeks. Even recruiters didn't seem to have any urgency. Unlike in NY when I sent my resume, there was a huge demand with someone with my qualifications in my field. I could pratically pick my next job.

So. I decided to think outside the box. I went on line and searched for companies in Atlanta that I would want to work for and faxed my resume to them, and within a day, my phone was ringing...and had job offers.

You'll need to broaden your search to Atlanta, Buckhead and Midtown, don't be limited to Gwinett.

The commute is not so bad. I travel to Atlanta and it's fine. Granted I avoid 285 which is where the traffic is.

Good Luck.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:44 PM

6 posts, read 31,901 times
Default Specialized Niche Sites

topjobsites.com is an excellent source for certain niche professions ..

For example, brokerhunter.com is listed there as the top securities site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta