Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I would put the blame on a reactionary voting populace that can't seem to currently keep a U.S. Senator in office long enough for this person to accumulate power & maintain a strong presence on the various committees dealing with the Armed Forces.
Sam Nunn had to leave sooner or later. It would take some time for a new Senator to have enough power and have to be on the Armed Services Committee. All things considered, Georgia has done well concerning military bases.

There probably should be term limits anyway. People like Kennedy and Byrd had too much power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 09:24 AM

110 posts, read 246,055 times
[quote=afonega1;17280526]
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
Over 20 years ago I joined the Military, and I always thought I would return to North Georgia. Much of our Retirement benefits are tied to the Military Installations. Without the political cover of Sam Nunn, BRAC definitely had an adverse impact on nearby bases. Anyone else disappointed by the Atlanta area Military Base Closures?

Fort Mcpherson - Gone
Fort Gillem - Gone
The Lake Allatoona Army Recreation Area - Gone
Naval Air Station Atlanta - Gone
Naval Supply Corps School Athens - Gone

Dobbins Air Force Base - Dobbins Air Reserve Base

My research has led us the logical choice of retiring to Huntsville, AL (Redstone Arsenal), but I still feel torn since North Georgia is home.[/QUOTE

You may or may not know this but;
Dobbins ARB is expanding.The Naval Air Station was on the other side.They just built a new commissary that will service the area.
The VA is still one of the largest and best in the entire VA system
Robbins AFB and Ft.Benning are less than 1.5hrs away.They are HUGE.

That said yes I am disappointed but it just gives less choices but there is still enough options
Do you have a link to information about when the Dobbins commissary might open?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
I understand your frustration, but something had to give, GA is (still) over represented so to speak in military bases.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:31 AM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
Quote:
atlyoungin

Do you have a link to information about when the Dobbins commissary might open?
Clay National Guard Center taking shape:

http://www.gadod.net/index.php/news/archives/258-clay-national-guard-center-growth-continues (broken link)

Also upon reading up on the possible relocation of AFRCIOM, it seems highly unlikely that Atlanta will be chosen. The Stuttgart Military community has 5 installations which provide support for both AFRICOM and EUCOM. Out of all the locations being looked at, Atlanta now has the least to offer with all the base closures.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:21 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Yeah you're right, both on the bases & on the term limits thing. I just wonder why this country is so gungho on having troops in foreign lands for dubious reasons but hardpress to have them in our homeland guarding the borders or going all out to help fellow citizens. Troops should have been parachuted on the ground for hurricane Katrina since day one, I'd think.

What is the point behind BRAC when we turn around and have these private military contracting firms like Brown & Root cheat the American taxpayer by doublebilling us for billions of dollars for services once performed by low-paid privates, seamen, and airmen? I just don't see how anyone could justify closing ANY stateside bases currently in light of this situation, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Sam Nunn had to leave sooner or later. It would take some time for a new Senator to have enough power and have to be on the Armed Services Committee. All things considered, Georgia has done well concerning military bases.

There probably should be term limits anyway. People like Kennedy and Byrd had too much power.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,179 times
Default Use closed base housing to house VETERANS

Our country should use the existing housing at closed military bases to house vets, especially HOMELESS vets (who comprise 1/5th of the homeless population). They could also use the other base buildings to provide social services / support services etc.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:38 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fab comments View Post
Our country should use the existing housing at closed military bases to house vets, especially HOMELESS vets (who comprise 1/5th of the homeless population). They could also use the other base buildings to provide social services / support services etc.
I think that's a terrific idea! Unfortunately, with pressure to cut existing social services programs, I doubt that Congress will approve new programs of any magnitude any time soon.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fab comments View Post
I'm unsure about how best to deal with it. That idea would concentrate the homeless creating an area of blight. Sorry, but collective human character can bring down an area.

The other is to disperse them. Good idea if you want to eliminate "the bad areas of town" but not so great if you get one as your neighbor.

The best solution...use the former bases to produce a new product...Soylent Green.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,562 times
Fort Gillem is gone?

Old 08-08-2011, 09:22 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Fort Gillem is gone?
On 13 May 2005, the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) commission recommended that Fort Gillem be closed. Apparently it was not closed. It is still active:
Fort McPherson (http://www.mcpherson.army.mil/default.htm - broken link)

Fort Gillem (http://www.mcpherson.army.mil/Fort_Gillem.htm - broken link)
Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta