Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:52 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
PLEASE stop uttering the "P" word! That word is almost as offensive as the "N" word!
I consider myself progressive on social and scientific issues and I don't find it offensive at all. To whom is it offensive?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 PM

34 posts, read 90,269 times
Only a idiot would think it was ok to abuse a person in prison because he or she was committing a victim less crime like drugs or gun possession. I am sorry, but it is bad enough people don't a have a right to bare arms or put what they want in their bodies but to say they deserve to be beaten make me want to throw you in jail for being a tyrant.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:43 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I consider myself progressive on social and scientific issues and I don't find it offensive at all. To whom is it offensive?

To me, that's who. Ever since liberals hijacked that word to "redefine" who they are.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:03 PM

782 posts, read 1,355,474 times
Maybe all those who agree its ok to beat felons should find themselves in prison for any type of crime and then let the correctional officers have at them.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:20 PM

826 posts, read 3,120,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Heres a thought, maybe if we make is so unbearable for them. THEY WONT WANT TO GO BACK!
As it is now you have to join a racist gang and avoid gang rapes in the shower. Sounds pretty unbearable to me. Additionally, as someone who has family in Rio I can tell you unpleasant prison conditions are no deterrent to crime. It has taken special ops to take control of the slums, not the thread of bad jails.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
To me, that's who. Ever since liberals hijacked that word to "redefine" who they are.
That's sort of like the way "conservatives" hijacked that word to redefine who they are. I consider myself conservative in many respects but it's hard for me to identify with a lot of what is called conservative these days.

Of course it's not up to any of us to tell people what they can or cannot call themselves. Definitions may vary but fortunately we don't have mind police in this country -- yet.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
Better than 80% of inmates have already been physically abused before they wind up in prison. So thinking that beating them further will make them less likely to recidivate demonstrates a lack of knowledge of the human psyche. In actuality, they're more likely to return to an abusive environment because that's what they know. On a more pragmatic note, it's foolish to beat inmates because the lawsuits that result are a stupid wast of taxpayer's money.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Heres a thought, maybe if we make is so unbearable for them. THEY WONT WANT TO GO BACK!
Aside from the fact that it's bad for business, you can't let prison guards go around beating people. That's part of what marks us as a humane society and differentiates us from backward totalitarian dictatorships.

Anybody can wind up in the slammer. Suppose your kid buys drugs or runs over somebody or writes some bad checks and gets sent to jail. Surely you're not okay with the guards beating him into a brain damaged state.

That doesn't even get to the problem of people who are wrongly convicted. What about that guy in Texas who was just released after serving 30 years for a crime he did not commit? He was just one of 41 people released from Texas prisons (over 20 in Dallas alone) because it was conclusively proven that they didn't commit the crime. Should they have been fair game?

Old 01-08-2011, 09:13 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Better than 80% of inmates have already been physically abused before they wind up in prison. So thinking that beating them further will make them less likely to recidivate demonstrates a lack of knowledge of the human psyche. In actuality, they're more likely to return to an abusive environment because that's what they know. On a more pragmatic note, it's foolish to beat inmates because the lawsuits that result are a stupid wast of taxpayer's money.
From the AJC article>>>

'Georgia prisons are under strain from a growing inmate population and budget cuts, said Sara Totonchi, executive director of the Southern Center for Human Rights.

The state has a higher percentage of its population in prison than most, said Totonchi, whose nonprofit provides legal representation to prisoners and fights abuses.

"They've been triple-bunking the cells (and) ... overcrowding at the prisons creates a very volatile situation," she said.'

I'm just surprised there aren't many more such incidents--nationally. I fully expect that this could become a very serious problem.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:04 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Yep, it's a problem: we have a bloated government with a lot of stupid rules and we can't afford to properly lock up all the people who break them. Nevermind our horrid drug and immigration policies, we lock people up for the dumbest **** you could imagine.

Take this egregious offense:

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. - A federal jury in Mobile, Alabama, has found four individuals guilty of multiple felony counts related to the illegal harvest and importation of Caribbean spiny lobster tails, the Justice Department announced today.

David Henson McNab, a citizen of Honduras, was found guilty of one conspiracy count, 11 smuggling counts and 16 money laundering counts. Robert D. Blandford, of Coral Springs, Fla., was found guilty of one conspiracy count, 11 smuggling counts, 10 felony Lacey Act counts, two misdemeanor Lacey Act counts and 13 money laundering counts. Abner J. Schoenwetter, of the Miami area, was found guilty of one conspiracy count and six smuggling counts. Diane Huang, of Englewood Cliffs, N.J., was found guilty of one conspiracy count, one felony false labeling count, and 15 Lacey Act misdemeanor counts. The Lacy Act prohibits import, export, transportation, sale, receipt, acquisition or purchase of fish, wildlife, or plants that are taken, possessed, transported or sold in violation of any federal, state, tribal or foreign law.
How horrible! Remove them from society!

Oh wait, let's hear a non-government account of what happened:

Quote:
IN 2000 four Americans were charged with importing lobster tails in plastic bags rather than cardboard boxes, in violation of a Honduran regulation that Honduras no longer enforces. They had fallen foul of the Lacey Act, which bars Americans from breaking foreign rules when hunting or fishing. The original intent was to prevent Americans from, say, poaching elephants in Kenya. But it has been interpreted to mean that they must abide by every footling wildlife regulation on Earth. The lobstermen had no idea they were breaking the law. Yet three of them got eight years apiece. Two are still in jail.
We have a fundamental problem in this country. Prison guard beatings and prison conditions reminiscent of a tsarist barracks are but two measly symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: