Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:27 AM

969 posts, read 1,955,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
went to the thrashers game last night - rode marta from lenox and back, and saw quite a few cops riding the trains (both ways) and standing on the platform at lenox, walking through the crowds waiting for the train at 5pts and gwcc. from that limited experience, they seem to be stepping it up, and i hope they continue...
That's good news. I hope that's something they continue doing and not just a temporary thing. They need to step up the security for at least 1-2 years if they want to change perceptions, make people feel safe, and reduce crime. I'm tired of the lax approach to this sort of stuff. I'm still giving Mayor Reed a chance - things don't change over night, it takes time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 10:31 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,444,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcFly View Post
This train station sounds like a deadly place. Very serious for people to fighting on train platforms.
Drugs and mental health issues would possibly be two related issues--also very serious. I don't think it is possible to have an urban environment without these problems.

Someone said that MARTA seemed to have increased security--that would seem to be an appropiate response.

It also occurs to be that Atlanta might be a desirable relocation destination if other cities have enforced more stringent policies.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:32 AM

969 posts, read 1,955,148 times
Check out this link for a rendering of what the Five Points area could look like in the future (scroll down to the second story about "The Gulch")...

PRIME MIDTOWN CORNER BOUGHT - Bisnow - Atlanta

The state is looking for a master developer for the multi-modal transit/Amtrak station that will connect with Five Points MARTA. It's good to know there are plans which are being actively pursued which means there is hope for the Five Points/Underground area. You can also find more information/renderings at Central Atlanta Progress...

Plans & Initiatives | Green Line Plan

Old 01-08-2011, 12:19 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,101,394 times
The main problem with MARTA is it mainly attempts to serve "captured" riders, people who have no alternative forms of transportation beside public transportation. This was the goal of MARTA when it was first built, and it succeeds. You have half the north-south line running through the ghetto, and basically all of the east-west line running through the ghetto.

I have already detailed a pretty harrowing experience I had in Arts Center Station about 2 years ago, but my roommate had a knife pulled on him at 5 Points, too. People like to pull up statistics to show that MARTA is actually safer than other metro systems, but I think stats are heavily skewed and honest discussion about MARTA is basically forbidden in the media in this city, because race has to be brought up, and that's taboo. We all know about "Marta girl" and that chess champion that was killed in daylight while on the way to the airport because he wouldn't give up his phone to some thug.

MARTA cops really are a joke. I ride MARTA fairly frequently since I live in Midtown and across from a station, but I almost never see cops on the platforms where most of the crimes seem to occur. The MARTA cops also have attitude! Take D.C.'s metro and you can ride it safely and comfortably all through the night. That's because it doesn't only serve government worker/poor areas, but goes all throughout the city. The thugs and ghetto people are diluted by suits, young profs, college students, and people running errands.

Put MARTA's route map in D.C., and what you'll have are a few lines from Prince Georges county to downtown and Reston, VA, basically bringing captured riders and ghetto thugs to commercial areas. D.C., though, has an expanded system that also goes to white collar areas, college areas, and residential neighborhoods in wealthier areas.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:00 PM

227 posts, read 493,892 times
Riders Concerned About Safety After 2nd MARTA Killing - Atlanta News Story - WGCL Atlanta

MARTA's Police Chief Wanda Dunham issued this statement:

"First and foremost, I want to express our deepest condolences to the victim's family.

MARTA is an extremely safe system and has one of the lowest crime rates when compared to the local jurisdictions within our service area and transit systems of similar size. The MARTA Police Department aggressively patrols the system every day deploying uniformed and plainclothes officers in stations, trains and buses. We utilize multi-layered strategies and special operations teams to maintain a secure environment.

MARTA's highest priority is the safety of our system. In spite of our best efforts, crime knows no boundaries. MARTA is not immune from random acts of violence, albeit a very rare occurrence. We are committed to continuing to deploy all of our resources to prevent these incidents from occurring. However, when an incident does occur, MARTA police are immediately on the scene, as they were today, to assist customers and bring any perpetrators to justice.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:15 PM

725 posts, read 1,276,788 times
What if they put metal detectors on all the faregates and had police waiting by to catch somebody.

Do you think that would help?

Old 01-08-2011, 03:17 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,250,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
What if they put metal detectors on all the faregates and had police waiting by to catch somebody.

Yes definitely as well as having officers "walking the beat" on all platforms instead of standing around as others have already suggested. Metal detectors are a good idea.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:26 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,111,691 times
I've called for assistance at a Marta station and sometimes it can take a good 10 minutes or more for a Marta officer to arrive in his patrol car. That's right, no Marta cop was on the premise. I even had a Marta operator hang up on me because she didn't believe me. I called again, got someone else, and she sent an officer. I wish I had registered a complaint to fire that first operator's ass.

Maybe Marta is not much different from other transit services but I'd grade it over all with a "D". I hate it when they thank us for "choosing Marta". Other than a car or taxi, what other choice is there?

Old 01-08-2011, 03:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,111,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post

The system would grind to a halt. Face it, profiling is the way to go but I don't think Marta personnel have the training or are bright enough to do it correctly.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:44 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,101,394 times
If MARTA was more extensive and went to more areas inhabited by professionals and non-criminals, the criminal element would be in the minority. Instead, because MARTA only goes to office areas and ghettos, the only time choice riders can use MARTA is when the sun is up. MARTA should have been built to about the same scope as the DC metro, which would mean more people are riding it and sketchy people are too far outnumbered to pull any stunts in plain view.

The worst transit line in the whole country has to be the East-West MARTA line. I mean it goes from the East Atlanta ghettos to downtown/5 Points/Underground Atlanta to *Bankhead*. I'm actually shocked more murders don't happen, especially given the absolutely dismal performance of MARTA cops.

And while it's great that MART goes to the airport, you just can't use it at night. If you're flying overseas and you have a late flight, forget about taking MARTA down. If you're plane is delayed or arrives after dark coming back to Atlanta, that's $32 plus tip for a cab back to Midtown because it just isn't worth it to risk you or your belongings on the MARTA train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta