Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 11:34 AM

10 posts, read 30,241 times

Advertisements

We are new comers to Atlanta, will be there in less than a month. Have made a preliminary decision to buy a house either in East Cobb or Johns Creek neighborhood, for the good schools and family friendly atmosphere. We have two small kids, so great elementary schools that offer great after school enrichment programs are one of the important driven factor in making this decision.
We both work in Buckhead close to Lenox mall, and don't really have flexibility around working hours, pretty much 8:30 to 5:30 type of schedule.
We are, however, concerned about the commute to Buckhead from either place. Would like to have people who live/lived in either of these two places and work around Buckhead areas to share experiences on the commute?

If the commute is truely aweful from either, we have had people who are suggesting live close to Buckhead vicinity. Note sure what these vicinity cities are and how the elementary schools there comparing to either East Cobb and/or Johns Creek? That being said, good middle school and high school are important too as we are not sure if we'd stay in one place for more than 5-8 years or not. If not East Cobb or Johns Creek, any other suggestions of similar neighborhood that have a much better commute? Our budget for house is around $500k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 11:47 AM

969 posts, read 1,950,102 times
Out of the two options in terms of an easier commute, I would recommend East Cobb. If you are open to taking transit, I would also recommend looking into Sandy Springs and Dunwoody... both have train stations which you can take to Buckhead.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:25 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,093,425 times
East Cobb. Crossing the river will suck any way you look at it, but you'll have to do that in both locations. With that being said, it's easier to take back-roads into Buckhead from East Cobb than from Johns Creek. I would recommend getting as close to the river in East Cobb as possible though, which would put you in the Walton school district.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Thank you, sounds good. On average, what is the commute time between, say Walton school district, and Buckhead?

Are there any great Montosorri preschool in East Cobb area? I can not find any ratings on private schools from greatschool.org, so want to ask around. We'll probably focus on zip code 30068 then.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:40 AM

109 posts, read 165,282 times
My vote would be for Sandy Springs or Dunwoody (D'woody in particular for schools and family friendly atmosphere - although Sandy Springs is good for that too, it can just be a bit pricey for your budget to live in the part of SS that would make it worth it), primarily because from there, getting to buckhead without getting on the highway is VERY easy. I have had to travel from Alpharetta past the buckhead area on many occasions and frankly, 400 really sucks. Also traveling across the river, as mentioned above also really sucks. Traffic just gets so congested in both places IMO and I really REALLY despise a short commute that should only take 10-15 minutes that ends up taking an hour. Atlanta is *notorious* for that. I know that my suggestion is a huge departure from your preliminary choice and your timeline is growing shorter by the day, but honestly, I really think those two places are hugely worth considering. Trust me when I say, the traffic here can be VERY frustrating.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:11 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,507,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finacctg View Post
We are new comers to Atlanta, will be there in less than a month. Have made a preliminary decision to buy a house either in East Cobb or Johns Creek neighborhood, for the good schools and family friendly atmosphere. We have two small kids, so great elementary schools that offer great after school enrichment programs are one of the important driven factor in making this decision.
We both work in Buckhead close to Lenox mall, and don't really have flexibility around working hours, pretty much 8:30 to 5:30 type of schedule.
We are, however, concerned about the commute to Buckhead from either place. Would like to have people who live/lived in either of these two places and work around Buckhead areas to share experiences on the commute?

If the commute is truely aweful from either, we have had people who are suggesting live close to Buckhead vicinity. Note sure what these vicinity cities are and how the elementary schools there comparing to either East Cobb and/or Johns Creek? That being said, good middle school and high school are important too as we are not sure if we'd stay in one place for more than 5-8 years or not. If not East Cobb or Johns Creek, any other suggestions of similar neighborhood that have a much better commute? Our budget for house is around $500k.
You can find a terrific house in Buckhead, Brookhaven or ITP Sandy Springs in the $500K range. Those neighborhoods are extremely family friendly and have award winning elementary schools with the IB program. There's every kind enrichment program imaginable. You've also got Chastain Park and outstanding youth sports programs. You could have a 10 minute commute.

I"d probably search in 30342, 30326 and 30319. Check these out for example.

60 Battle Ridge Drive Atlanta GA Home for Sale - Real Estate - MLS #4123023 - Realtor.com®

1067 Westbrooke Way Atlanta GA Home for Sale - Real Estate - MLS #2986248 - Realtor.com®

Old 01-10-2011, 10:14 AM

I have only visited Atlanta 1-2 times before and do not know Atlanta well. But from all the posting I am reading and the school rating info i gathered, Dunwoody and SS do not have as impressive schools? If you can suggest a few great schools in these two places, i can do further research on.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:28 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,507,354 times
Sarah Smith Elementary is consistenlty top ranked.

Sarah Smith Elementary School

Georgia Department of Education (http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/ReportingFW.aspx?PageReq=102&SchoolId=22247&T=1&FY =2010 - broken link)

It was so popular the city opened an Intermediate School annex last year, and that has already been expanded again. One of our daughters teachers there. Both the original SS and the intermediate campus are state of the art.

You'd also have Morris Brandon, which is another IB school.

Morris Brandon > Home

Georgia Department of Education (http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/ReportingFW.aspx?PageReq=102&SchoolId=22250&T=1&FY =2010 - broken link)

If you want private schools, there are also tons of them in that neck of the woods.

ETA: I should have clarified that these schools are in Buckhead/North Atlanta.

Last edited by arjay57; 01-10-2011 at 10:55 AM..

Old 01-10-2011, 10:33 AM

109 posts, read 165,282 times
DW and SS have charter schools, which people find desirable. I will see if I can find you some information - I do not have school aged children, so I can really only speak confidently re: the commute portion of your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta