Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 11:06 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,629,475 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how expansive the homeschooling community is, in Forsyth county?
Any links?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 05:41 PM

Anything? Anyone help? No teachers post on here?

Old 01-16-2011, 06:05 PM

562 posts, read 1,789,953 times
Forsyth County has is one of the richest counties in Ga, and thus the schools get very good funding and most of them are very good. So I assume that less people homeschool their children there. Personally I dont get it ( I went to public school), how can a mother or father know enough about all the subjects to teach their children about them, better than teacher that specifically teaches that individual subject ( I am talking about middle school and high school and not elementary school)?

Last edited by ecuresident; 01-16-2011 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: add

Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
Forsyth County has is one of the richest counties in Ga, and thus the schools get very good funding and most of them are very good. So I assume that less people homeschool their children there. Personally I dont get it ( I went to public school), how can a mother or father know enough about all the subjects to teach their children about them, better than teacher that specifically teaches that individual subject ( I am talking about middle school and high school and not elementary school)?
I've seen a general distrust of "government schools" from people down here that I really didn't expect to encounter that sort of attitude from. Living in Georgia is like being on a whole different planet, sometimes.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:41 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,813 times
I have seen home school classes offered in the Cumming area.
I can't recall where exactly, but try googling, because I know they are there.
I home school, and have home schooled for years. I am an Educator, with a degree in
Education. I home school through a distance learning school. I pay a yearly tuition with an accredited distance learning school, they send me all of the years curriculum (books, etc), and I teach it daily.
Then at the end of the month, I am required to mail out all of the completed months assignments, and every 2 months I receive a progress report.
My child can take (and is actually required) the state exams beginning in 3rd grade,
just like every other child.
I happen to be in Gwinnett County, recently moved from South Florida.
The distance learning school I use holds onto my childs official transcripts, which may be transferred to a school, if we choose to stop home schooling.
We also belong to a home school group of over 500 members, and my child does a lot of
extra-curricular stuff..... cub scouts, sports with the city, and he even takes additional courses (for additional knowledge) at an environmental heritage facility (when classes of interest become available).

Last edited by AJ1972; 01-18-2011 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-19-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
I have seen home school classes offered in the Cumming area.
I can't recall where exactly, but try googling, because I know they are there.
I home school, and have home schooled for years. I am an Educator, with a degree in
Education. I home school through a distance learning school. I pay a yearly tuition with an accredited distance learning school, they send me all of the years curriculum (books, etc), and I teach it daily.
Then at the end of the month, I am required to mail out all of the completed months assignments, and every 2 months I receive a progress report.
My child can take (and is actually required) the state exams beginning in 3rd grade,
just like every other child.
I happen to be in Gwinnett County, recently moved from South Florida.
The distance learning school I use holds onto my childs official transcripts, which may be transferred to a school, if we choose to stop home schooling.
We also belong to a home school group of over 500 members, and my child does a lot of
extra-curricular stuff..... cub scouts, sports with the city, and he even takes additional courses (for additional knowledge) at an environmental heritage facility (when classes of interest become available).

Thanks. We are considering moving from S. FL to Forsyth county in less than one year. We will be staying in a home on the lake in April to check out the area, see if we like it. What town do you live in?

Please give me info on the homeschool group you belong to. That is what I am looking for, links to homeschool community. I have a kindergartner and a pre-k child. My kindergartner is reading. Here they aren't reading until 1st grade in public schools. We love homeschooling.

Anxious to hear from you......don't want to move somewhere where there is no homeschool community.....

Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM

152 posts, read 525,350 times
Here is a link to the Georgia Home Education Association with info on just about any question you may have, check out support groups, sports, etc.

GHEA - Georgia Home Education Association

Old 09-27-2013, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,977 times
Default Alexander School of Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Just wondering how expansive the homeschooling community is, in Forsyth county?
Any links?
Thanks.
Welcome to The Alexander School of Excellence.

The mission of The Alexander School of Excellence is to maximize student academic achievement through a rigorous and challenging curriculum that utilizes the latest 21st century educational initiatives, research, and differentiated instruction methodologies.

[url=http://www.alexanderschool.net/]Alexander School - Welcome to The Alexander School of Excellence, where our students and teachers come together for the joy of discovering, sharing, and growing together[/url]

Rigorous College Preparatory K-12 Online School
• Highly engaging, interactive videos/animation
• Individualized learning paths for gifted and talented
• 20-34% increase in standardized test scores
• Affordable for every family!

Click on the following link to experience a sample of the lessons for the school. Our curriculum can be used to supplement/replace tutoring with access to all K-12 courses for $499 per year, one class can be taken for gifted enhancement/course credit or credit recovery for $249, and full enrollment for one year (for homeschooled students) is only $1976 per year. This curriculum/school is the culmination of over 6 years research in differentiated learning methodologies (my doctoral research study). The proven data results of this curriculum have shown increases in student standardized scores up to 34%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta