Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 AM

72,968 posts, read 62,547,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
^^^ this is JUST the mind set im talking about lol. That "If you dont like GA and 'OUR' way of doing things, then leave"......

No, sir or maam or whatever species of life you fall into, I am a tax paying citizen of this state (like many on this forum, especially those that whine about over taxation and the like) and I have a right to exist and thrive in GA like all others here. Even if I did leave, you would STILL be iced in up to your eyeballs with no reasonable means to deal with it besides letting the sun come out.

Consider the hundreds of folks who had medical emergencies that were left high and dry due to the state's incompetence....

Consider the many truck drivers that sat stranded on the perimeter, 75, 85, and the 10 car pile up on I 20......

Consider that this ice storm is costing the state millions in lost revenue and business....

Consider the hundreds of travelers stranded at Greyhound and Hartsfield, many with young children and scant resources....

No, I will NOT leave...instead, I will make my voice known to the right avenues to bring about change in this fair state.

You know, if I wasnt black and had dreadlocks, Id consider running for the Governor of Ga myself. And I just might do that. Someone needs to rout out the filth that is the Ga political machine and who better to do than the good ole boys WORSE nightmare.....a well groomed VERY articulate dreadhead that has the the superior intellect and gall to take on the machine at its core! Ha!

But I digress. This post is concerns our rant against the state and local governments for their failure to pre plan for an Ice storm. Feel how you want about the proud state of Ga, but 100 truck drivers, THOUSANDS of stranded passengers, and MILLIONS of atlantans cant all be wrong now can they.....

If I recall, I do believe the Bible states that "In the mouths of TWO or THREE witnesses is established the truth...." Good advice. I suggest that the good ole state of GA should take heed since Ga is such a "christian" state.....smh......

Just my dollar minus the $.98 in taxes lol

PS....912, you quoted me twice as two different persons........there goes that Georgia education system for you lol....
Not only this, but alot of supplies can't get to other states, such as Florida, because of the stranded trucks.

It is fitting to note that Georgia is the 11th most corrupt state in the USA, more corrupt than Louisiana now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 09:51 AM

969 posts, read 1,958,395 times
Did anyone see the GDOT spokeswoman's reaction to CBS Atlanta's "tough questions"? LOL. How does this woman still have a job? She is paid to put a smile on her face and answer questions, not refuse to answer questions and stop the interview... it just makes GDOT look guilty and stupid.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:59 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
I'm from Boston and I find this extrapolation to be absurd. First of all most of Atlanta received 4 to 6 inches for an average of 5. This is 2.5 times the annual average - but keep in mind that some winters the area receives only a dusting and other times 4 or 5 inches for the season - so just looking at the average is meaningless. The area should be prepared to deal with 4 to 5 inch snowfalls every winter, because this can happen any given year potentially - but is more likely to happen every 2 or 3 years. In the winters with no snowfall, the equipment can be rented out to NC or TN if they happen to get snowfalls or need additional help.
What part of "we don't get more than 2 inches of snow per year" is confusing to you? More than 3 inches is a rare event. 4 or 5 even rarer. As much as we got the other day only happens once ever few decades.

Quote:
But anyway, Boston would never ever receive 42 inches in one day let alone 350% of that. First of all, to have that sort of moisture (at least 420 in of precipitation with 10:1 ratios), the storm would have to be a coastal storm which would keep snow ratios down and temperatures higher, making this nearly impossible. What is not nearly as impossible is Atlanta receiving twice as much as its HISTORICAL average - again this does not mean that every year an even 2 inches falls and that's it - the POTENTIAL is there for significantly more.
Well of course its ridiculous to think that the scenario I described would ever happen. What is not ridiculous is what happens when a city experiences a weather event that is in excess of what happens 9 times out of 10 and is beyond their control to prepare for.

I'm not making any excuses for the Governor or GDOT, who I think are absolute morons, but we had a natural disaster. It takes a bit to get things back to normal.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 AM

663 posts, read 1,863,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
What part of "we don't get more than 2 inches of snow per year" is confusing to you? More than 3 inches is a rare event. 4 or 5 even rarer. As much as we got the other day only happens once ever few decades.

Well of course its ridiculous to think that the scenario I described would ever happen. What is not ridiculous is what happens when a city experiences a weather event that is in excess of what happens 9 times out of 10 and is beyond their control to prepare for.

I'm not making any excuses for the Governor or GDOT, who I think are absolute morons, but we had a natural disaster. It takes a bit to get things back to normal.
I think you are the one getting confused - which weather god has set the rule that "We don't get more than 2 inches of snow per year"? If I recall correctly Hartsfield recorded 4 inches in one storm either last year or the year before. And there were the same national news shots of cars sliding down uncleared roads.

5 inches of snow with icing on top is NOT a natural disaster. This is actually reasonably common for northernmost Georgia and it just happened to occur a little bit south of there in the metro area this time. What exactly has been destroyed for this to be a natural disaster?? Look at the floods in Australia, the tsunamis, earthquakes and hurricanes if you want to see a natural disaster.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
I lived in Boston for 4 long winters. They are hardly better at clearing the streets than we are, quite frankly, given how much snow they get. But, the Boston drivers know better how to drive in that type of condition than do we and they are accustomed to it, so are more likely to grin and bear it and simply brave the conditions.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
Quote:
I think you are the one getting confused - which weather god has set the rule that "We don't get more than 2 inches of snow per year"? If I recall correctly Hartsfield recorded 4 inches in one storm either last year or the year before. And there were the same national news shots of cars sliding down uncleared roads.
It might have happened, but I don't know. I've lived in Georgia most of my life (Over 30 years) and trust me, 4 inches is rare indeed. I can count on my hand how many times we've had snows like we've had this week. Using one hand and only four fingers.

Quote:
5 inches of snow with icing on top is NOT a natural disaster. .
It is when you have 4 straight days of sub freezing temperatures and barely any equipment to remove it. Why this is such a difficult concept to understand is beyond me.

Quote:
This is actually reasonably common for northernmost Georgia and it just happened to occur a little bit south of there in the metro area this time. What exactly has been destroyed for this to be a natural disaster?? Look at the floods in Australia, the tsunamis, earthquakes and hurricanes if you want to see a natural disaster.
So just because things weren't destroyed it's not a natural disaster? Things don't always have to go to extremes for it to be a disaster.

Anyway, moving on now, it's clear you aren't interested in dealing with this situation as it is.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:20 AM

663 posts, read 1,863,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I lived in Boston for 4 long winters. They are hardly better at clearing the streets than we are, quite frankly, given how much snow they get. But, the Boston drivers know better how to drive in that type of condition than do we and they are accustomed to it, so are more likely to grin and bear it and simply brave the conditions.
Nice try, but I don't buy this. Maybe you're talking about some inaccessible side streets and alleys in Boston proper and Everett and Somerville etc. but those areas have densities far greater than anything in Atlanta (which has suburban densities for the most part). You will find the main streets cleared with snow piled to the sides not sitting in the median or still covering half the street two days later. Every last subdivision in every last town in that region is cleared out by the next morning even after a 20 inch. snowfall hammers the region. I have lived decades in that area, and I know how winters are handled there. I am not expecting Atlanta or GA to operate at that level, for obvious reasons ...

Old 01-13-2011, 10:27 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,723,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constitutionalist View Post
why dont they brime the roads before the storm gets here. like nc sc tn does.
They put down brine on the roads here every time a storm is forecast. It helps at best, but it's way overrated. You still have ice on the roads. Best thing to do is stay home and enjoy it. I don't mind losing some money for snow cause we rarely get any.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Quote:
Nice try, but I don't buy this. Maybe you're talking about some inaccessible side streets and alleys in Boston proper and Everett and Somerville etc. but those areas have densities far greater than anything in Atlanta (which has suburban densities for the most part). You will find the main streets cleared with snow piled to the sides not sitting in the median or still covering half the street two days later. Every last subdivision in every last town in that region is cleared out by the next morning even after a 20 inch. snowfall hammers the region. I have lived decades in that area, and I know how winters are handled there. I am not expecting Atlanta or GA to operate at that level, for obvious reasons ...
Back Bay.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:37 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
It sure is nice to see old Mr. Sol beaming down. Go sun, beat ice!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta