Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 PM

227 posts, read 494,735 times

Advertisements

Deal warns of cuts, promises progress in first State of the State *| ajc.com

BUDGET HIGHLIGHTS
These are from Gov. Nathan Deal's budget proposal for fiscal 2012, except for the University System cuts:
  • $46 million for reservoirs
  • $32 million for deepening Savannah harbor
  • $25 million for school buses
  • More than $200 million for k-12 school construction
  • Higher co-payments for many Georgians on the PeachCare health care program
  • $300 million in cuts to the University System funding over 18 months

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Here's a thought: why are you opening the door for political brickbats to be tossed about?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
What I really want to know is how he will divy up existing transportation funds.

Perdue cut back funding in Metro Atlanta and the metro primarily grew on invested infrastructure from the 80s and 90s or county improvements via the SPLOST taxes.

While a disproportionate amount was spent making maintaining 4-lane roads in rural areas throughout the state. In some cases only 2,000 cars/day traveled on them.

I know people on here tend to focus on mass transit, but the state investing money on road infrastructure in the metro region is important. They are primarily responsible for most routes that travel between counties. One of the things that has always hurt the Atlanta region is the arterial road system is very broken up. Every county does its own thing and a few roads between each county are overburdened.

Support for the Savannah Harbor is good. We need at least 10x more for reservoirs and even then it is not enough.

We have strangled the university system enough. We have been cutting and cutting for a decade straight. Keeping good universities is some of the most important investment our state can make to attract/maintain a good competitive economy. It is even worth small to small-moderate tax increases.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:37 AM

906 posts, read 1,746,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
We have strangled the university system enough. We have been cutting and cutting for a decade straight. Keeping good universities is some of the most important investment our state can make to attract/maintain a good competitive economy. It is even worth small to small-moderate tax increases.
EXACTLY. This is why Nathan Deal is such a freaking joke. "Education is my top priority." Really?? Then why are you cutting $300 mill out of universities that are already under austerity measures? Even the business community knows that universities help drive the economy. Such a short-sighted budget.

This state is never going to get real about budget balancing until they get over their ludicrous allergy to tax increases.

The populace needs to feel these cuts. I don't particularly want students to have to suffer here, but I don't see how universities are going to withstand these cuts without significant increases in tuition. And that's not going to go over well with anyone.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:55 AM

128 posts, read 215,236 times
ugh I despise Deal for everything he stands for....... I still cant believe he got elected gov. ......wait....yes I can this IS Georgia.....smh

Not to sound like a troll or nothing though.....

This state is going to wind up like California in a few years and I hate to see all the progress that Georgia has made be erased by a a racist backwardly mobile corrupt politician such as Deal.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,210 times
By increasing sales taxes (and lowering income taxes), I wonder if that will have a negative effect on the 2012 transportation vote considering it would be a one cent sales tax? I hope this doesn't kill it and they are going to have to do a lot of persuading, because most people here would vote no on any tax increase even if they are only spiting themselves. How can we remain competitive if lower corporate taxes do not create more jobs and if we are cutting education and not investing in our infrastructure???

Old 01-13-2011, 08:44 AM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
The populace needs to feel these cuts. I don't particularly want students to have to suffer here, but I don't see how universities are going to withstand these cuts without significant increases in tuition. And that's not going to go over well with anyone.
I seriously doubt that there's significant public support for state tax increases at this point. 10% of Georgians are "officially" unemployed and it's likely that real unemployment is twice that. So a lot of folks are barely hanging on as it is.

However, the spending cuts may actually be helpful when it comes to college. If enough voters are convinced that college professors and students are suffering too much, hopefully they will be inclined to tighten their belts a little more and cough up higher taxes.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
I didn't think it was possible, but I already miss Bubba Perdue. SMH

Old 01-13-2011, 10:19 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
Well, to be fair to Deal & other Georgia conservatives, it's really these austerity cuts that's preventing Georgia from becoming a bankrupt California. The real problem is that most of these politicians feel that the wealthy should be completely left off the hook and that the middle class & poor should carry the whole state on their shoulders, a'la sales taxes.

That's the problem, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
This state is going to wind up like California in a few years and I hate to see all the progress that Georgia has made be erased by a a racist backwardly mobile corrupt politician such as Deal.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:20 AM

906 posts, read 1,746,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I seriously doubt that there's significant public support for state tax increases at this point. 10% of Georgians are "officially" unemployed and it's likely that real unemployment is twice that. So a lot of folks are barely hanging on as it is.

However, the spending cuts may actually be helpful when it comes to college. If enough voters are convinced that college professors and students are suffering too much, hopefully they will be inclined to tighten their belts a little more and cough up higher taxes.
Don't you think strategic taxes might work to help ease budget woes? Like a small raise on cigarette taxes (which are, compared to other states, WAY low)? Why not Sunday liquor sales? It seems like this state, as conservative as it is, might understand the need for such small changes with the economy in such bad shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta