Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:51 PM

876 posts, read 2,277,415 times

Advertisements

I would guess the more rural Milton has a lot of issues on its secondary roads. I keep hearing about problems on the major roads in Alpharetta, but I haven't been up there myself since before the snow late last weekend.

In downtown and Midtown Atlanta, there is still tons of ice on secondary roads.

Yes, Fulton schools are closed for Friday, probably because of North Fulton secondary and subdivision roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 03:18 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
I just got back from my trip to Costco. It was a white knuckle ride, only due in part to my son's over-confidence in his driving skills. New Providence is horrible. Providence Rd is horrible in many spots. Birmingham Hwy is awful in some spots. Dorris Rd looks lethal. The access road to Milton HS and Northwestern Middle is ok, except down by the ball fields where trees shade the road. I had been told Mayfield was fine, but it isn't now. Anything that melted is freezing up. We actually got off Mayfield and went through Milton HS because it was so bad.

But, without fail, every single parking lot we passed had been plowed. That tells me there are indeed private contractors with their own equipment available. Hire them!

It isn't just the developments that are keeping the kids out of school tomorrow. Many of the roads are honestly just that bad.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:21 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
I forgot to mention, GA 9 (Main St) between Mayfield and Windward wasn't completely clear either. The turn lanes had lots of ice, and some of the driving lanes still had patches.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:23 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,888,943 times
I offered to take cabin-fevered teen to a movie at 5pm. (I'm working at home, but my hours are flexible). Hah! We spent over an hour in the car, first going and then returning (by a different route) to the movie theater, which is only 10 minutes away from home, under normal conditions. We didn't get to see the movie (too late by the time we got there).

I was shocked at how bad the main roads were - Shallowford (accident there and no wonder, the ice was wicked in a shady section), Sandy Plains and 92. This is in north-east Cobb, right next to Fulton County (so close to the thread topic). In our subdivision the roads are still dreadful. Lamentably, canceling yet again tomorrow was plainly the right call. The school buses couldn't possibly be driving around in those conditions. As my daughter observed, it wouldn't be cool for a school bus to take out the kids waiting at the stop.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,352 times
Husband said Cox Road(north Fulton near the border with Milton) was at its worst this evening- two icy ruts with a thick ice mass in the middle.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 PM

697 posts, read 3,019,757 times
We went out this evening for the first time since I walked to Kroger Monday afternoon. Holcomb Bridge Road between Centennial High and Rivermont/Ellard still had an astonishing amount of ice still on it. There was basically one viable traffic lane for most of it, but the shady/hilly bits, especially the hill down to Target from the west entrance to Horseshoe Bend and the area in front of Holcomb Bridge Middle School, still had significant amounts of ice completely covering the road, and what had melted earlier was quickly freezing back right at dusk, and was much worse on our way back.

Hard as it may be to believe from conditions in many areas, I have to agree that canceling school for Friday was indeed the right call. Just too many spots that are still downright dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta