Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
One thing that I will take issue with in your statement is the assumption that if I am talking to a "white home owner" in the northern burbs where I live that I will just assume that they are Conservative or a Right winger as you put it. NOTHING could farther from the truth and I will tell you why. One word TRANSPLANTS. Call it what you will but I tend to think that if you are from New York, New Jersey, California, Illinois, etc. that you are probably NOT in my political camp.Those are solidly Blue states with a majority white population. Now obviously I dont know what political affilation they have but I never ASSUME that a transplant is a Conservative. Now to be fair if I am talking to someone from here or the southeast I do tend to think that we may be like minded. In the end I never just put it out there as some have done with you without knowing for sure where the other person stands politically. There are non-threatening ways of figuring out where someone stands politically without being rude or brash about it.
Scooby, I wasn't attempting make any assertion about how you behave. I was simply reporting how some - quite a few - people behave, in my (and others') experience. It didn't occur to me that I needed to state the obvious qualification that neither this nor any other generalization would apply to every Republican-voting person in the northern suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 12:26 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Scooby, I wasn't attempting make any assertion about how you behave. I was simply reporting how some - quite a few - people behave, in my (and others') experience. It didn't occur to me that I needed to state the obvious qualification that neither this nor any other generalization would apply to every Republican-voting person in the northern suburbs.
Sorry if I came off as being rude or implying that you felt that we all behaved that way. I was just trying to make the point that there are rude, pushy people in all walks of life. I am sure in the more Liberal/Democratic parts of town like the city of Atlanta and the southside people are guilty of making the assumption that everyone is a Democrat and spout off just like the experiences you have had in the northern burbs. It is NEVER appropriate to so in any context. I just wanted to make the point that I tend to think that anyone white that isnt a Southerner tends to not be a Conservative which I know is ridiculous but no more ridiculous than thinking that every white in northern burbs is.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:39 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
I see that you totally glossed over the BIGGEST Liberal bastion that has the MOST influence, Hollywood. NO sane person can deny that Hollywood isnt dominated by the left from top to bottom. Only the most entrenched, popular actors like Jon Voight or Clint Eastwood can proclaim their Conservative views without being black listed. Virtually every A list Movie Star, Producer and Director that you can think of actively campaigned for Obama and donated millions to the Democratic party. They pump out Liberal policies in one movie or TV show after the next.
Most people in Hollywood are loons. They sometimes have good things to say, but like many from the east coast, they have no fricking clue about how the center of the country really lives...

Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
For all the right wing ballyhoo about Hollywood, is there ANYBODY who actually decides which way to vote based on what movie stars (other than Republican movie stars) say?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:33 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,390 times
Quote:
I see that you totally glossed over the BIGGEST Liberal bastion that has the MOST influence, Hollywood. NO sane person can deny that Hollywood isnt dominated by the left from top to bottom. Only the most entrenched, popular actors like Jon Voight or Clint Eastwood can proclaim their Conservative views without being black listed. Virtually every A list Movie Star, Producer and Director that you can think of actively campaigned for Obama and donated millions to the Democratic party. They pump out Liberal policies in one movie or TV show after the next.
It wasn't "glossing over" so much as I thought the discussion was about news media. But I think it's a fair point--a lot of fictional television shows and movies certainly have more of a liberal bent than a conservative one. And those are types of media that can influence the public, certainly.

I'd still like to hear conservatives acknowledge that they have much bigger media control than they let on. Comcast certainly isn't very liberal, and the recent merger alone shows how much they control media at the very top. (And I'm not letting up off this point--Fox News and talk radio have BIG AUDIENCES.)

Old 01-19-2011, 04:36 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcutterron View Post
Funny . . . our forefathers felt differently. Ever read George Washingtons farewell speech when he left office? I'm guessing not. Nothing wrong with government sponsored prayer. Now government mandated prayer I'd have a problem with. I'm fifty, and in fourth or fifth grade (not sure at the moment) We had a Buddist kid in our class. When he said the Pledge of Allegiance, he just remained silent for the "under God" part. The Government prayer police didn't bust down the classroom door and haul him away either, and that was in 1967 or thereabouts. He wasn't suspended either. And he didn't whine about it, and his parents didn't try to force everyone else to stop saying "under God" either. Frankly, I figure his parents were grateful to be in a country full of Christians who didn't want to set them on fire or whatever.

They probably appreciated what the forefathers intended "Separation of Church and State" to actually mean.
Yeh the forefathers were praying as they killed , beat,and enslaved there fellow man.
I have nothing against school prayer that is voluntary,but not during class with students of mixed beliefs.Groups like Fellowship of Christian Athletes are acceptable,but not during the morning announcements over a loud speaker.
i just think its phony.Most people want to talk about loving the lord but they usually show no compassion that Christ showed his fellow man.The prayers they recite might as well be Shakespeare.

I mean where does it stop.Should we pray like Catholics or Protestants?Its dangerous rd to go down.This country was founded by people FLEEING religious persecution ,(freedom from religious persecution) that is ,not institutionalizing it again.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
WTH are you talking about???? My response was to the OP asking about if a liberal would fit in Atanta. I responded that I was baffled at these questions as this isnt the first time that a Lib has come on here asking this as another poster already pointed out. Do these people NOT realize that this is Atlanta and we have the highest or second highest Black population in the country??? Are you denying that Blacks are not solidly Democrats/Liberals?? Are you denying that we dont have a huge black populaton here??

So once again I will ask, WTH are you talking in your reply to me or how did ANYTHING I say lend itself to your scatterbrained response??
Its your assertion that all who are Democrat or liberal.Was Sam Nunn,Zell Miller,Tom Murphy,David Scott.And when was the lst time you saw a black politician campaign for gay rights outside the city limits of Atlanta?

Wow you may remember this with thousand of mostly black supporters:
http://www.ajc.com/multimedia/dynamic/00671/MARCH_ARROYO_3_JPG__671784c.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-21-2011, 07:34 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
It wasn't "glossing over" so much as I thought the discussion was about news media. But I think it's a fair point--a lot of fictional television shows and movies certainly have more of a liberal bent than a conservative one. And those are types of media that can influence the public, certainly.

I'd still like to hear conservatives acknowledge that they have much bigger media control than they let on. Comcast certainly isn't very liberal, and the recent merger alone shows how much they control media at the very top. (And I'm not letting up off this point--Fox News and talk radio have BIG AUDIENCES.)

I will not deny that and Conservatives have definetely found many more resources in the new media and talk radio over the last decade. The reason that both talk radio and Fox News have such big audiences is because Conservatives feel that these are the few options they have to hear like minded views. If you flipped it and most newspapers and the major news networks were Conservative then it would be the Liberals having such huge audiences in their limited venues whatever those may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta