Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:44 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

I live in N.C. where Bill's brother Ralph just died. He was a highly respected figure in civil rights and auditor in N.C. I googled Bill Campbell and read all about his prison sentence (I lived in Atlanta then) and his move to FLA but no idea where he lives and what he is doing now. Anybody know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 01:27 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I live in N.C. where Bill's brother Ralph just died. He was a highly respected figure in civil rights and auditor in N.C. I googled Bill Campbell and read all about his prison sentence (I lived in Atlanta then) and his move to FLA but no idea where he lives and what he is doing now. Anybody know?
Hopefully under a rock somewhere.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:06 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I'm not defending the conduct that sent Campbell to prison but there's no doubt that he's a really smart guy who could still contribute a lot to society. I knew him and liked him. He's only in his 50s so I hope he'll find a place where he can contribute.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:58 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,653 times
Default Don't let him off that easy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm not defending the conduct that sent Campbell to prison but there's no doubt that he's a really smart guy who could still contribute a lot to society. I knew him and liked him. He's only in his 50s so I hope he'll find a place where he can contribute.

Nice sentiment but, like all criminals, don't let him off that easy....it reminds me of the passages I am reading regarding Charlie Wilson in the book, Charlie's War. Within the book are passages referring to his antics while getting appointed to the lifetime post at the Kennedy Center. Tip O'Neill wanted someone like Charlie to deflect the issues of the day namely; ABSCAM

Remember that???? That was the government sting that landed quite a few crooked Congressman, mostly Democrats by the way, in jail for taking bribes by an undercover FBI agent playing the role of an Arab Sheik.

One was so crooked that he basically was caught saying "I was born with larceny in my heart"....pretty tough considering the possible consequences. Well, as luck would have it, one John Murtha was quoted as saying: "No, not now, but I may change my mind in the future".....for me and you on a car lot saying as much, not a big deal.

For a sitting Congressman? Whoa.....now tell me again, why was Murtha such a disgrace? You can't even blame Hannity for that though many try. He's a bad guy. Period. Anywho, Tip used Charley to help deflect the inevitable blows Murtha was about to endure....it worked.....don't give Campbell a way out either.

Believe me, the US Justice system wouldn't give you that much of a pass. Why him?

If I recall correctly, the bad guy who turned states evidence on Campbell was quoted as saying, "watch, he'll never take his hands out of his pocket" in reference to Campbell immediately after he received a $10,000 bribe for some such favorable contract decision. He stuffed his pockets with the money and never let go.....greed had no bounds....

Watergate, Abscam, Campbellgate, whatever.....to let them out easy now is an incredible abuse of the public trust. Hold them to a higher standard. The pension benefits alone should make you want to do that.

Hey, while it's true Nixon never spent a night in jail, he was ultimately disgraced into the grave. We as the public never let him off the ropes. Nor, should he. However, at least in Nixon's case, he did get China to talk and bombed the shiite out of whomever necessary to bring the Vietnamese back to the "peace accords" in the Christmas of 73. For that, we should all be grateful.

Campbell? Well, he was just a dime store crook. He never did all that much and no one cared all that much either way if he had.

Footnote should end here. We all deserve better.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:29 PM

Well, I definitely wouldn't want him back as mayor or Chancellor of the Public Exchequer. But Campbell's a smart, educated guy and there's a lot of stuff that needs to be done in this world. He might even find his mission somewhere outside the US.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:43 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
But back to my OP. Where is he now and how is he making a living? Wasn't he disbarred? He's a relatively young man. My interests lie in how somebody so disgraced can go on making a living. I assume he is no longer in Atlanta but I wonder where he is. Who would hire him?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:20 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
But back to my OP.

Does anybody really care? Even for triva-night?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 AM

The State Bar shows Campbell was disbarred in 2007.

However, Campbell is also listed as having an email address at Willie Gary's firm in Florida. He could be a paralegal or an investigator or something like that.

Gary is an immensely successful lawyer who grew up as a migrant worker and one of 11 children in rural South Georgia. He is incredble success story and ought to be a beacon for African American kids (as well as all kids) for what hard work can do. If Campbell is working there he's probably doing fine.

Lawyers for Personal Injury | The Gary Law Group

Old 01-19-2011, 12:16 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
I'm just glad he's no longer lying straight to my face, in person, one on one.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
People diss him but praise Bush
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta