Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Responding with eye-rolling emoticons is childish & fit only for the non-sensical world of facebook.
Actually what I find childish is hijacking a thread so you can rant about how awful women are. I realize I have no control over how people answer. But when someone can't even answer the main question, I find that annoying and I think it warrants an eye-roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
The only difference is I did not start off as personally mocking anyone on this thread for their opinion. If people have a difference with the opinions of others it would be more intellectually honest to debate it out rather than resort to infantile cheap shots.
There's nothing infantile in pointing out that someone else's post doesn't answer the main question. There's also nothing infantile in pointing out how entitled someone sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
I have noticed that people here stick in their "groups" a lot more. You have the segregation thing, which is more prevalent here and Im not just talking blacks or whites, I see it with Indians, Asians, and every other group.
As tonygeorgia correctly pointed out, EVERY city is segregated. This is not a problem exclusive to Atlanta. I've seen it in every city I've lived in. I even saw it in college. It was one of those big university that proudly promotes its diversity. But the funny thing is that everyone stuck to their own kind. You didn't see a lot of intermixing. So this idea that Atlanta is somehow worse than other cities is a little hard to swallow.

Dating isn't easy when you get past a certain age. But the reason I have a hard time believing it's worse here than in other cities is because, when it comes to the subject of dating, people are more likely to blame their environment than look in the mirror. I see a lot of guys do this. They'll complain that the women in their city are stuck-up, overly picky, shallow, etc. Notice how they blame everyone but themselves.

Which brings me back to the feeling of entitlement. Maybe you think you're a great guy, good looking, you got a respectable job, etc. and you wonder why more women aren't interested in you. But there's a fine line between being confident and feeling entitled. Most women like guys who are confident, but not arrogant and act like they deserve a prize for being a good person.

The population figures say the gender ratio here is pretty even. And I think the gay argument is exaggerated and just another example of blaming the environment instead of looking in the mirror. What I was expecting to hear more of was the local culture, the structural issues, etc., not "women in Atlanta are full of themselves so that's why they can't find a good man."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 09:52 AM

88 posts, read 198,934 times
"As tonygeorgia correctly pointed out, EVERY city is segregated. This is not a problem exclusive to Atlanta. I've seen it in every city I've lived in. I even saw it in college. It was one of those big university that proudly promotes its diversity. But the funny thing is that everyone stuck to their own kind. You didn't see a lot of intermixing. So this idea that Atlanta is somehow worse than other cities is a little hard to swallow."

Are you kidding me. Atlanta is absolutely segregated in a different way than NY, LA, Chicago etc. It is in your face all day long and you don't hear flat out racial comments in those cities on a daily basis. Tony Georgia is correct that at a basic level every city has different types of bars, restaurants etc based on peoples likes. That being said I have been to hip hop bars and country bars in different cities that have all races represented for example. Good luck finding that in Atlanta. Back on Topic The women in Atlanta are some of the most beautiful in the country by far. The "southern bell" is one stereotype that is proudly represented and that is a good thing! Dating is not that tough in the city as long as you get involved and get off the couch.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacnwbound View Post
"As tonygeorgia correctly pointed out, EVERY city is segregated. This is not a problem exclusive to Atlanta. I've seen it in every city I've lived in. I even saw it in college. It was one of those big university that proudly promotes its diversity. But the funny thing is that everyone stuck to their own kind. You didn't see a lot of intermixing. So this idea that Atlanta is somehow worse than other cities is a little hard to swallow."

Are you kidding me. Atlanta is absolutely segregated in a different way than NY, LA, Chicago etc. It is in your face all day long and you don't hear flat out racial comments in those cities on a daily basis. Tony Georgia is correct that at a basic level every city has different types of bars, restaurants etc based on peoples likes. That being said I have been to hip hop bars and country bars in different cities that have all races represented for example. Good luck finding that in Atlanta. Back on Topic The women in Atlanta are some of the most beautiful in the country by far. The "southern bell" is one stereotype that is proudly represented and that is a good thing! Dating is not that tough in the city as long as you get involved and get off the couch.
Yeah right...in LA I hear about hispanics starting races wars with blacks all the time. Everybody knows Chicago is the most segregated city in America. NYC is just as segregated.

There are plenty of diverse places in Atlanta such as MJQ, Havana Club, bars on Edgewood, etc.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacnwbound View Post
I've been to those other cities and seen the exact same thing. Again, I fail to see how Atlanta is any worse when it comes to self-segregation.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:07 AM

562 posts, read 1,790,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Yeah right...in LA I hear about hispanics starting races wars with blacks all the time. Everybody knows Chicago is the most segregated city in America. NYC is just as segregated.

There are plenty of diverse places in Atlanta such as MJQ, Havana Club, bars on Edgewood, etc.
Chicago is the most segregated city in the US? That is the first time I have ever heard that and after growing up there for 20 years would more than flat out disagree. Like the prior poster said, there are different types of bars- Salsa, clubs, hip hop, etc, and you will find more races of one kind at that bar, and yes there are lot of race cliques in Chicago, just like any city, but you def did not have flat out "Black" bars or "white" bars, like people mention in Atlanta.

Last edited by ecuresident; 01-19-2011 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Chicago is the most segregated city in the US? That is the first time I have ever heard that and after growing up there for 20 years would more than flat out disagree. Like the prior poster said, there are different types of bars- Salsa, clubs, hip hop, etc, and you will find more races of one kind at that bar, and yes there are lot of race cliques in Chicago, just like any city, but you def did not have flat out "Black" bars or "white" bars, like people mention in Atlanta.

LOL you clearly do not know what u are talking about. You credibility is down to zero now. Most of the "bars" on the southside of Chicago are black and they are mostly white on the northside....

You never heard of Chicago being the most segregated city in America and you lived there for 20 years? Are you serious?

Barack, Gates, and America’s Most Segregated City « Sara Paretsky’s Blog

Chicago Still the Most Segregated U.S. City - Chicagoist]

Chicago most segregated city in America - Chicago South Side | Examiner.com

Chicago, America's most segregated big city - [domain blocked due to spam]

Old 01-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
First of all, why do you think there are flat "black" bars and "white" bars? Is it because the bars are excluding people? Or is it because people just don't want to go to certain bars because of who the majority of the people there are? I suspect it's the latter and that's something you'll see in any city, not just Atlanta. Now whether it's more common here I couldn't say since I generally don't go to bars or clubs. But like I said earlier, self-segregation is pretty common. It can be on a small scale like at a bar, a school or the workplace where people hang out only with people who look like them. Or you can see it on a large scale like Detroit and other major cities which have experienced the white flight phenomenon. Having lived in Chicago, I can say that I saw plenty of self-segregation going on there as well.

But getting back to the original topic, even if racial issues make dating harder here, how is that different than other cities?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:37 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,804 times
Oh boy, I'm going to ignore all of the female bashing comments on here. To answer the OP question, I'd like to put in my 2 cents about what I've observed about dating in Atlanta. My perspective is in comparison to NYC.

I find that meeting people to date in Atlanta is more difficult primarily due to these reasons:

1. Everybody drives everywhere so you have very little chance of meeting somebody in the street. My goodness, they even have a drive thru for the dry cleaners!! In NYC, I could meet somebody just walking down the street minding my own business.

2. People in Atlanta tend to go out in groups. That's been my observation in a number of places that I've gone to. People stay with their group of friends all night so there is no mxing and mingling. In NY, you will rarely see more than 3-4 (tops) friends go out together. But as soon as you get to where you're going, you all split up and start talking to other folks. That's the whole point if you're single and out to meet people. You may not see your friends until the end of the night when you're ready to go home.

3. People here in Atlanta do tend to marry or shack up at a younger age so as you get older, the dating pool gets smaller and smaller. Somebody posted that women over 30 were "old." (I take offense to that, i'm 30something and fabulous!). But in NYC, for those in their 30s and 40s, the dating pool is still terrific. Unfortunately, on the flip side, it's almost impossible to get married in NYC because people are like serial daters. People don't seem too inclined to settle down. I guess when it's so easy to meet people, you always think you can find something better.

It's virtually impossible to be without a date in NYC unless something is seriously wrong with you. And here in GA, I find it's very difficult to meet people even when I go out of my way to go out! So anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:46 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,804 times
Oops, my bad, the original question had something to do with the male-female ratio. I think that's an urban legend. But anyway...I went off on a tangent about why it's hard to meet people here cuz this whole thread kinda veered off track. Sorry!

Old 01-19-2011, 02:02 PM

It's not hard to meet people IMO. Join a networking group, join a church, go to happy hours, playdateatl, etc. I think some people are watching for Mr or Mrs Perfect to knock on their door
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta