Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 09:46 AM

9 posts, read 24,674 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move somewhere in Gwinnett county the end of march. We will be looking to rent for aleast 6 months would like to pay no more than 1100 a month for a 3 bedroom, before we buy a house 4br/2ba around 170,000 or less chance we can go higher on the price. Looking for a good area, low crime good schools and very family oriented. I have one in high school, one in elementary and one still at home. Husband is in the hiring process for the police department and I am a nurse. What I have researched so far are Grayson and Loganville. Dont want to be in the Ghetto. Any sugguestions. We will be coming up soon to look around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 10:30 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,244,923 times
Where will he be working? What about you?
We rented in Buford for about $1200 for a 3 bedroom (by the Mall).
Dacula would be a good, family oriented area, in your price range.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:49 AM

59 posts, read 274,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailnurse View Post
My family and I are looking to move somewhere in Gwinnett county the end of march. We will be looking to rent for aleast 6 months would like to pay no more than 1100 a month for a 3 bedroom, before we buy a house 4br/2ba around 170,000 or less chance we can go higher on the price. Looking for a good area, low crime good schools and very family oriented. I have one in high school, one in elementary and one still at home. Husband is in the hiring process for the police department and I am a nurse. What I have researched so far are Grayson and Loganville. Dont want to be in the Ghetto. Any sugguestions. We will be coming up soon to look around.
My favorite area of Gwinnett is the Dacula area in the Hamilton Mill area. All the schools feeding the Mill Creek HS are excellent and many are new. There also is a wide range of quality housing prices available there. Easy access to I85, Hwy 20, Mall of Ga, etc., etc. Check out this relocation guide and the articles there.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:11 PM

5 posts, read 19,814 times
I like Dacula hamilton mill area too. for awhile I lived in Duluth off peachtree ind blvd and hated that area

Old 03-07-2011, 08:23 PM

53 posts, read 158,458 times
Hi! One of my friends answered your husband's similar post and told him to tell you to apply for your NSG License early! This is true of any professional licensure you must get from the State of Ga as they are so overworked with people coming in from elsewhere in the US and abroad.
All of Gwinnett County is very very very good and the county has pockets of affluence and of middle classes all weaved in together all over the county, not much classwise under that. It was very middle classed until the mid-late 1990's when higher incomes of people started to move all over the county into new subdivisions of pricier homes.
We adore the far south end of the County ourselves. We have a lakehouse there and a condo in Buckhead and I stay in south Gwinnett most of the time and prefer my neighbors there. Even the highest income neighbors I have in Gwinnett use the public schools and are very pleased... We have a new Elementary School there with the best of everything and Shiloh High School is known as a consistent stepping stone to prestige University placements.
It is easy to get to midtown and Buckhead as you may go in without getting on the interstates (go east on Main from Snellville until you get to Ponce De Leon then take it and go right on Peachtree and voila you are at the Buckhead Malls). Snellville and areas south of it in Gwinnett County have a large population of English and native New Yorkers with quite a few Canadians and I know a few Cali natives as well who live here. It is a lovely mix of people AND in south Gwinnett we get alot of STAY PUTS..people who buy their homes and stay for life. It is also common to see natives of other areas of the metro move here due to the quality of everything. The downside to the STAY PUT NATURE is that realtors often pass us over as we, even in the current economic climate, do not have large numbers of houses for sale...
BUT it is certainly wonderful not to have muscial chair neighbors and wonder who will be your neighbor constantly even if the realtors often overlook suggesting us for this very reason! Not enough houses to show so it makes their jobs hard while in most areas of the metro they can show you ten to choose from in the same neighborhood!!!
Snellville has a WONDERFUL (and quite attractive) Mayor from Allentown PA and he has alot of progress picked back up in Snellville and that reflects into the south end of the County moreso than the north end. Snellville also has the much envied and excellent Emory East Hospital which many many areas of the metro had coveted and we got it. The popular Temple Beth David seems to make the area now more popular with successful Jewish people too bringing in a number in a constant stream.
As we found ourselves people (realtors and others) in other parts of the metro will attack another area of the metro to try to lure you to their area often with unfounded opinion and hearsay so it is best to research AND draw your own conclusions. I have been in Atlanta off and on for 40 years and it always has been that way! You will find the same true within counties as well.
!!!ALSO OF NOTE IS THAT!!! A number of celebrities own second homes in Snellville and south Gwinnett. You can find scant details online about it. None have houses elsewhere in the County that I have ever heard about though for celebs to have second homes in the metro is fairly common and we have a number of homes in south Gwinnett that are owned that way, one in my own neighborhood.
YOU WILL FIND THE TOPOGRAPHY IN SOUTH GWINNETT FABUOLOUS & VERY FAMILIAR LOOKING...it looks alot like LA in that respect! It is possible to find a VIEW HOUSE here due to the grand hilliness of the area and that is not true anywhere else in the County.
GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:16 PM

102 posts, read 364,857 times
"Shiloh High School is known as a consistent stepping stone to prestige University placements."

Are you kidding?????

Old 03-14-2011, 10:33 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,937 times
I have a cousin in Dacula (near Lawrenceville) and he paid about 300K for his home (before the market went down).

I'm not sure about a 3br apartment in the nicer areas of Gwinett for ($1,100) Maybe 1,300-1,400

You might find something in Dunwoody for $1,100, which is still nice and closer to ATL.

I honestly prefer South Fulton, which is where I own a 5br/3 bath home with a 2 car garage.

You get more value for you dollar down there, but there's not as much scenery/a lot more slow

Old 03-15-2011, 02:43 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
Jimmy Carter blvd

Old 06-19-2011, 01:48 PM

10 posts, read 35,515 times
Well if you are moving from the North with that attitude perhaps you should stay where you are because the South has all Ghettos whether it be in Alpharetta the gated areas. We just do things different here there is no race barriers and if you are a minority and want to be prejudice keep your attitude where you are. Everyone lives great here in Atlanta Blacks run the show here.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:27 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buco View Post
Well if you are moving from the North with that attitude perhaps you should stay where you are because the South has all Ghettos whether it be in Alpharetta the gated areas. We just do things different here there is no race barriers and if you are a minority and want to be prejudice keep your attitude where you are. Everyone lives great here in Atlanta Blacks run the show here.
What attitude? She just said that she doesn't want to live in the ghetto; that seems like a pretty reasonable request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta