Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 01:59 PM

278 posts, read 801,002 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I have been interested in Newnan for quite a while, seems like
a great place for me and the family. I've been searching but can't seem
to find out if there are areas to stay away from, bad parts of town? Maybe
some suggestions on websites to pinpoint crime areas? Any help would
be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 06:28 PM

64 posts, read 214,498 times
there's a few areas to stay away from mostly just south and west of downtown Newnan any where other that you will be just fine May I ask where you are moving from?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:18 PM

Hi Todd, thanks for the reply. I'm coming from west central FL, and due to
the nature of DH's business, Georgia is where we need to be. (He's a truck
owner-operator). We have our house on the market here, and I'm doing my
research. Any other info you'd like to share would be much appreciated!

Old 01-22-2011, 03:28 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,825,037 times
We use to live in Summergrove in Newnan and like it alot.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 AM

167 posts, read 476,213 times
Are there certain specifics you are looking for information on?

We live in Summergrove right now, but will be moving this summer. As far as pinpointing crime areas, I couldn't tell you. Summergrove is quite large. We live near the Publix/Kroger/Newnan Crossing Elementary area and I personally had someone break into my car while it was parked in my driveway. Not a warm fuzzy feeling when your husband is deployed. A few months after that there was a police checkpoint set up that was looking at ID's. That's not saying that where I live has a lot of crime as it could be completely random. We also hardly ever see kids playing at the park or outside. Sometimes it feels like Zombieland minus the zombies.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:38 AM

Lol, Lawl, Zombieland minus the zombies! What I'm looking for is a reasonably quiet area to live, and then
drive into town when I feel like it. Trying to stay away from known drug areas, that's usually where
the crime is. Cops down here in FL do the checkpoint thing every once in a while-I think they are just
looking for ways to give out more tickets!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:07 PM

562 posts, read 1,785,413 times
I lived in Newnan for 2.5 years and can tell you that crime is very low there. There are some run down areas near downtown to avoid, but thats about it. I lived right down from Summergrove in an apartment complex and my fiancee would walk the dog in the evening without thinking twice. Most of the crime in the area of summergrove (that area is the newer area of Newnan) and where a lot of the shopping is-(Ashley Park) is teenagers being stupid. I personally have never seen so many cops in my life as I would see one pass that Kroger probably every 3-5 mins!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:33 PM

Thanks ecuresident, seems like teenagers being stupid is everywhere! (this from the mom of 2 teenage boys, lol.)

Old 01-24-2011, 02:46 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,825,037 times
We lived in the area of Summergrove that was around the lake and far away from the shopping center/Publix. I felt safe and we didn't have crime. I still talk to old neighbors and there is no problem in that area. It seems it is the periphery of the neighborhood that could be the problem and that could happen anywhere.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 PM

Thanks Mawoods, good info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: