Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 11:01 AM

528 posts, read 1,276,847 times

Advertisements

My husband really likes the course and neighborhood. Me? I'm not sure. When we went there we only noticed a lot of older people golfing and around and not a lot of young kids. Also, I just finished registering my four year old at St. Benedict on Parsons Road because I thought we would end up in St. MArlo or Laurel Springs. Is St. Ives going to be too far from that church now? There is another church, St. Brigid on Old Alabama Road in Johns Creek. IS that closer? It's quite a bit more money for the preschool so would like to stick to St. Benedict either way.

Any thoughts on that area vs. Laurel Springs? My husband will be working on Commerce Pkwy in Duluth so the commute would definitely be better for him from St. Ives but it's also important to us to have young kids in our neighborhood with lots for them to do.

Also, I wanted newer homes than what St. Ives has in a $500-700 price range. Anything really new in there is much higher. Are there any communities right near St. Ives that are newer in the price range? Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 11:38 AM

957 posts, read 3,342,407 times
buffalo,
Have you considered sugar loaf country club? Your husband's commute would only be 3 miles and Sugarloaf CC is much newer and the homes are nicer looking than St. ives CC. If you want a new home in St. Ives they are building 13 new homes within st. ives called the Pearl. St. ives feeds into Johns Creek High, not Northview. Your property tax for st. Ives will be 1.5% whereas your taxes in St Marlo is 0.8%. I believe Sugarloaf CC property tax is at 1.2-1.3%. I remember driving down from the St. Marlo area on 120 toward Duluth during trafffic hour and it is not pretty.

Good luck.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:21 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,347,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
My husband really likes the course and neighborhood. Me? I'm not sure. When we went there we only noticed a lot of older people golfing and around and not a lot of young kids. Also, I just finished registering my four year old at St. Benedict on Parsons Road because I thought we would end up in St. MArlo or Laurel Springs. Is St. Ives going to be too far from that church now?
St. Ives is much closer to St. Benedict than St. Marlo or Laurel Springs. In fact, there's an entrance in to St. Ives off of Parsons Road (east of Medlock Bridge near the high school). Although they are currently widening it, McGinnis Ferry (the road that goes to the main entrance for St. Marlo) is horribly congested during the afternoon.

Quote:
Any thoughts on that area vs. Laurel Springs? My husband will be working on Commerce Pkwy in Duluth so the commute would definitely be better for him from St. Ives but it's also important to us to have young kids in our neighborhood with lots for them to do.
Can't speak to the neighborhoods. St. Ives has been around longer so may not have as many younger families in it. Biggest difference is that St. Marlo and Laurel Springs are both in Forsyth County whereas St. Ives is in Fulton County. Different school systems and higher taxes in Fulton.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:32 PM

253 posts, read 1,177,600 times
My parents live in St. Ives and while they have fewer trick or treaters than they did 10 years ago - they still get plenty of kids on Halloween. Sure some of that is probably friends that came over for the night, but hopefully that's a sign that there are still young children in the neighborhood.

I actually grew up there (age 8 til college), and it was definitely a great childhood!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 AM

Default Thank you all for your responses...still want to know if anyone knows about the makeup in there so if you do, please tel

I do realize it's a different county which means higher taxes but better commute is a consideration. He is working in NE Duluth so it's definitely better and if we figured gas and mileage, it may make up for the taxes not to mention the cost of a reduced drive time for quality of life. I feel like the schools there are on par with St. Marlo/Laurel Springs. All rated 10's on the greatschools.org. I don't think we would build new when we can get something for much less because the market is saturated. We built here new at the top of the market and may be able to get it all back but only because relo company will pick up the realtor commission and all closing costs. I can't build from far away anyway. I would be too nervous about it.

I am happy to hear the church is closer by as well. Again, not sure what neighborhood we will choose but I am thankful we don't have to register her in a variety of preschools. Phew!

Glad to hear that your parents are seeing young children. I wonder if we can call the homeowners association there and find out what the makeup is if they know. I will definitely be on the lookout for neighbors and swing sets when we drive through there again next time. I realize the homes are older and we would definitely want to find one that is renovated. I'm not in a period of my life where I want to do more than painting and replacing rugs. We completely renovated our first home but that was before we had kids and had a little extra spunk! This house we are currently in we built and designed so we didn't have to do a thing when we moved in.

I'm not sure we will find a home we want that is completely updated in our price range that is not stucco in St. Ives but we want to keep our options open. My husband spoke to St. Marlo, laurel Springs and St. Ives' golf shops yesterday and they all said that St. Marlo and Laurel Springs are like a JW Marriott and St. Ives is like the Ritz- in terms of golf clubs but we want to see it on our own. I truly think it will be decided on the house. Wherever we find the perfect house, is where we will end up. I just want to make sure there are little kids in that neighborhood and I know that is the case in both St. Marlo and Laurel Springs. Just not sure about St. Ives!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 AM

253 posts, read 1,177,600 times
What age range of children are you looking for? I know when I go there I definitely see mom's walking with strollers, if you're looking for that age group. I can ask my parents about it as well to try and get an idea.

One thing - when you drive around I wouldn't necessarily be alarmed if you don't see swingsets as I know the HOA is big on trying to disguise them as much as possible or have them not evident from the road - looking for basketball goals on driveways may be a decent indicator, though that may not be the age range you are looking for.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 AM

Default Hi smoki- thanks for your help. I have two girls that will be

4 and 7 when we move there. I am concerned because of the age of the neighborhood as you suggested. My neighborhood is 5-10 yrs old so lots of new families moved in here with young kids and there are a zillion kids on our street that are my kids' ages. So, I'm sure when the neighborhood was built in the early 90's there were lots of young kids there and now they are older but I would think it would start to turnover with young kids moving in again. That would be great if you could ask your parents about that for me. I want elementary age kids. Also, do you have a sense of how many go to private vs. public schools? I don't want to live in a neighborhood where my kids' friends all go to private school. Some is normal but not a majority. Also, do you feel like it hoity toity in there? I would expect it from CC of the South and even Sugarloaf and we are not interested for that reason. I don't want to live with a bunch of celebrities or athletes just regular folks like us (within that price range which I realize is above average but still.........)

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta