Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 08:37 PM

25 posts, read 50,377 times

Advertisements

Hello Atlanta city-data...

We've made a somewhat sudden decision to move to Atlanta from Richmond, VA. This coming weekend we will pack our stuff in a truck, and drive to stay with family a couple hours outside of Atlanta while we figure out our apartment situation, then try to arrange our employment and childcare situations...

A little about us...

We're looking to rent something with two bedrooms for about 1000, give or take a little bit. Too low and I worry about the neighborhood, too high and we just can't do it...

We are open to any type of residence... I'd prefer no high-rise type apartments, and generally I steer clear of apartment communities, but that's not a big deal. If the price is right we'll take anything, though my wife insists on carpeted bedrooms for some reason. We have a two and a half year old child, so I like to have some play space immediately outside. We want to live in a neighborhood where we won't have to worry about crime, but we're also coming from a very transitional, urban neighborhood so we're accustomed to a little bit of riff-raff. What's most important is that we don't feel like we or our son are going to be harmed.

I really like to be able to walk to SOMETHING. If I'm not at least within a short bike ride to some sort of activity, I go nuts. Bars, shops, parks, that kind of stuff... I spent a summer in Atlanta several years ago, and my favorite part of town was probably Little 5 Points. Used to go to Criminal Records often, visited a few clubs though I can't remember where they were or what they were aside from The Drunken Unicorn.

We're mid-20s, and would like to be around other people within about 10 years of us, especially other people with young children.

We will most likely both be working so we'd like to be near an affordable daycare center. We currently pay 1150 for rent and 200/week for daycare. We would like to spend LESS. I don't know if there are public preschools in Atlanta, but as Kindergarten and grade school approach I would rather not send our child to private school.

I had been looking around Grant Park, Inman Park, Kirkwood, East Atlanta Village, Ormewood Park, Decatur... but there appears to be a limited selection of rentals. Decatur seems to be rather large and I don't know what parts of it are actually nice.

Any advice on specific places to look, school and child care information, other neighborhoods to consider... I know it's what everybody's after, a blend of quality, value, and convenience... but I welcome all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 AM

8 posts, read 65,699 times
Duluth,Alpharetta are nice places to meet ur needs.Affordable apts,nice schools etc

Old 01-25-2011, 08:33 AM

17,469 posts, read 65,973,095 times
...another tale of cart before the horse.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:04 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,272,401 times
When people recommend Decatur, they are generally referring to the actual City of Decatur (30030). There is a much larger area that has a Decatur mailing address but is in unincorporated DeKalb county and is very different from the City of Decatur. The area north of Decatur (30033) is also generally recommended.

Much will depend on where you will be working. You should find a job (or jobs) FIRST, not only because jobs are scarce and it would be unwise to obligate yourselves to a lease before you can be sure you will be able to make it in Atlanta, but also because traffic is a very major factor here and if you want a decent quality of life you'll want to live within a reasonable commute of your job(s).

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 PM

642 posts, read 2,218,164 times
So you don't have a job as you move here? Do you know what you're getting into? Whoa.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,473,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
So you don't have a job as you move here? Do you know what you're getting into? Whoa.
shaking my head

I had a friend at one point in my life that made a few moves like that. She went through some pretty rough times. Very determined lady and she survived but it certainly wasn't easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta