Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,274 times

Advertisements

Hey All

I'm a single, professional female thinking of moving to ATL. I'm a Miami native and the cost of living is pushing the middle class out of South Florida.

I eventually have to head up to ATL for a prolonged visit. But what would be a safe area for me to move to and avoid the insane traffic i have been reading about. Is ATL diverse? Not just black or white but also hispanics, asians, etc. I'm Hispanic (not mexican) and feel more comfortable in areas with a great variety of people (ages, race, backgrounds).

Is the housing market suffering a bad spell? I make about $60K. Is it possible for me to buy a condo/townhome on my own up there?

Thanks for any input.

JP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 01:54 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
Default My 2 cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCPA View Post
Hey All

I'm a single, professional female thinking of moving to ATL. I'm a Miami native and the cost of living is pushing the middle class out of South Florida.

I eventually have to head up to ATL for a prolonged visit. But what would be a safe area for me to move to and avoid the insane traffic i have been reading about. Is ATL diverse? Not just black or white but also hispanics, asians, etc. I'm Hispanic (not mexican) and feel more comfortable in areas with a great variety of people (ages, race, backgrounds).

Is the housing market suffering a bad spell? I make about $60K. Is it possible for me to buy a condo/townhome on my own up there?

Thanks for any input.

JP
It would really depend on where you are working but I've always found the Inman Park/Old 4th Ward area the best for location, amenities, activites for a real n'hood. I lived there for 4 years and now lease out two properties and I still miss living there. The area where you will find the most diversity is probably Gwinett county but honestly, social events and gatherings and most nightlife is about 90% geared toward one race or another. Midtown would offer great diversity as well albeit at a higher price than Inman Park & Old 4th Ward.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:25 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,128 times
Atlantasfinest,
I'm curious to know your take on crime in Inman Park vs. Midtown? Which would you say is 'safer' for families with young kids?

Old 07-18-2007, 02:42 PM

71 posts, read 333,840 times
That's a tough one, Midtown used to be such a scary maze but it's been cleaning up (like most of Atlanta) since the Olympics.

Inman Park has definitely gone a little more upscale in the past few years.

Midtown will have some action on the weekends, the clubs in the Crescent Avenue section definitely bring some crazies in. I would HIGHLY recommend not getting anything near Crescent. Nice place to have brunch but you wouldn't want to live there.

Inman Park will have some walk through traffic but all in all I would think it;s a bit more family oriented.

Also to consider in town are Candler Park and Lake Claire, both neighborhoods are farther east going along McClendon.

And if you keep going farther east you hit Oakhurst and the rest of Decatur.

edit: In regards to Inman and Candler Park, be careful of your proximity to Dekalb Ave. again, walk through traffic is where opportunistic crime comes from, also very heavy / fast traffic on Deklab.

Last edited by vilehelm; 07-18-2007 at 02:57 PM..

Old 07-18-2007, 02:51 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,128 times
yeah, I absolutely love Inman Park but my problem is that we have to be in Sandy Springs every day. The commute isn't pretty. Otherwise I'd live there in a minute.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:10 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
Where do you work? That's biggest question. Try to stay close to work since the traffic here is pretty bad. Most diversity part of Atlanta area is Gwinnett area. For better or worse, it is mini "united nation" here in Gwinnett.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:55 AM

22 posts, read 90,207 times
Default Move to Atlanta

I would recommend you speak with a real estate agent who specializes in working with relocation clients. Find one you feel comfortable with and take advantage of their knowledge of the Atlanta area. A good agent will lead you in the right direction!

Old 07-19-2007, 08:18 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
Default Inman Park 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Atlantasfinest,
I'm curious to know your take on crime in Inman Park vs. Midtown? Which would you say is 'safer' for families with young kids?
Inman Park would win that contest in a heartbeat with Midtown. Inman Park is more condensed as a area and community & it's smaller in size so that just adds to the coziness of the area. Midtown has more streets, avenues & thoroughfares which just adds more to the crime factor. Midtown to me is more of a place for singles, young couples & gays. Inman Park is a broader mix, you have singles, couples of all age ranges & even some gays & basically it's not to the extreme like Midtown is. Inman Park has the Path trail, nice Parks, great restaurants Rathbuns & his new steakhouse & tons of others and you don't have the traffic going thru here like Midtown.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 07-19-2007 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-20-2007, 08:16 AM

167 posts, read 769,189 times
Default West Cobb is diverse too.

West Cobb County is diverse too. The Mableton, Austell and Powder Springs areas are very diverse.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:34 PM

160 posts, read 600,637 times
What are any zip codes for Inman Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta