Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 02:24 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,289 times

Advertisements

J.C. Penney to close 3 Atlanta-area stores *| ajc.com

I just read this a moment ago. It's sad anytime people lose their jobs, however, not terribly surprising. I haven't shopped at JC Penney in years. I don't think they have done a good job shifting with trends. I'm not sure about the store at Southlake, but the one in Duluth never really had very much selection, or anything I would call current. I think the closings have less to do with the area, and much more to do with the store and its offerings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 02:30 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,254,619 times
The Penney's at Gwinnett Place mall is way too small to begin with. I can't understand how they lasted this long. I wonder what the sales are going to look like? I hope they get to 70-80% off. That would be good but not so great for those who will become unemployed as a result of the store closing.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:36 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
The Penney's at Gwinnett Place mall is way too small to begin with. I can't understand how they lasted this long. I wonder what the sales are going to look like? I hope they get to 70-80% off. That would be good but not so great for those who will become unemployed as a result of the store closing.
I think you misread the article. The anchor at Gwinnett Place Mall is staying open. The separate home store further down Pleasant Hill is closing.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:39 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,254,619 times
oh! my bad. You're right. But the Gwinnett Mall store is way small though.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:47 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,184,760 times
Another vote of economic confidence in Clayton Co.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:58 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,128,503 times
Cumberland Mall used to have a Penney's. It seemed to be a perfect location so I don't understand why they left.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
There's a standalone JCP in Hiram off of Highway 278 and the place stays packed. But it's a large store and there aren't a ton of options in that immediate area compared to some, too. That and they send weekly coupons out to people for $$ off stuff. It's a slower recovery than people think - I feel we'll see more bigger-box closings by others before this is over.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,280 times
JC Penny continues to spiral down. Has nothing to do with the area in GA but rather the struggling company.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
JC Penny continues to spiral down. Has nothing to do with the area in GA but rather the struggling company.
The problem with JPC as with a lot of the major chains now is that they don't cater to the community in the immediate area around their stores, and just put up generic stock of the same type regardless of where they are.

Example: In Hiram, it's more of a blue collar "meat and potatoes" type of community. People tend to be larger. The local JCP store does have a Big and Tall shop but it has few choices and omits a lof of items. The local Kohls has no Big and Tall shop at all. Neither store carries men's shoes in sizes above 13, regardless of the fact that many men (and a number of teen boys) do indeed need sizes larger than that in that area. The same stock and sizes you can find in Buckhead where everyone goes to L.A. Fitness and jogs, are the same stock and sizes you find in Hiram.

So more and more people are going to specialized shops or ordering things online. Stores that refuse to actually study the demographics of the area they're in are going to suffer more and more.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:45 PM

847 posts, read 1,457,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Cumberland Mall used to have a Penney's. It seemed to be a perfect location so I don't understand why they left.
I remember when the old JCPenney was torn down. I can understand the rationale overall since Costco and its parking lot are where the old Penney's used to be. In addition, I think they didn't look to replace it since there is a JCPenney at Town Center in Kennesaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta