Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 07:51 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Other awesome things the "The Founding Fathers Did It!" argument can be made to advance:

- Holding/raping slaves
- Preventing women from voting

Need I go on?

I'm not equating banning Sunday sales to these horrible things, but you just cannot come on here and act like these are valid arguments when the exact same logic would indicate that holding slaves is kosher.

Don't even get me started with the horrible implications the "This is our dominant culture and belief system" would have if applied uniformly across the world. That very argument is used all the time when justifying horrific violations of human rights that occur routinely in other countries; you'd best not start using it here.
I know some ministers that would say the same about the Bible--written by those living in a particular culture with the intent that the 'big ideas' could be understood and adapted --'universally'.

Common sense--we were given minds and encouraged to use reason--to Think-clearly and with the wisdom gained from analyzing past mistakes.

Politics and religion--necessary evils it seems.

Actually a great deal was said in the Bible about 'water'--maybe that is really all we actually need to drink--given the overwhelming confusion that seems to afflict us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 08:03 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
I'm not inconvenienced by not having Sunday liquor sales, I've adjusted to that reality, although I was pretty taken aback when we first moved here and I tried. I avoid shopping on the weekend whenever possible anyway.

But, I resent anybody trying to use their personal beliefs to overrule the democratic process of an open vote on the issue.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Possibly--although that wasn't the real message of that story. The 'wine' was symbolic.

The interpretation of the Bible--the most misunderstood book in the world.
TakeAhike - your religious tradition may have taught you that the wine was "symbolic." There certainly are many different approaches to biblical interpretation out there. My tradition (Anglican/Episcopalian) generally follows scholarly approaches which would, I believe, largely dismiss the notion that the wine in the story is not really an alcoholic beverage, as an attempt to read an anachronistic viewpoint into the text. This is a pitfall for everyone, even scholars, not just naive readers.

This thread isn't the right place for a debate on hermeneutics. However, I'm wanting to make it clear that in my opinion, it's not appropriate for any Christian to make definitive pronouncements about Christian viewpoints in this sort of setting. As a Christian myself - who has no objection to Sunday sales of alcohol and in fact favors them on grounds of fairness and equality - I have been dismayed by the pronouncements by some on this thread about what Christians believe.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:25 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Y'all keep talking about this being a "christian" thing- it's not a "christian" thing, it's a "Baptist" thing- they're the one's who supposedly don't drink. Reminds me of a joke I heard:

How do you keep a Baptist from drinking all your beer when you're out fishing?

Bring along another Baptist........

Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Y'all keep talking about this being a "christian" thing- it's not a "christian" thing, it's a "Baptist" thing- they're the one's who supposedly don't drink. Reminds me of a joke I heard:

How do you keep a Baptist from drinking all your beer when you're out fishing?

Bring along another Baptist........

What's the difference between a baptist and a methodist...............

The methodist will talk to you at the liquor store.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
TakeAhike - your religious tradition may have taught you that the wine was "symbolic." There certainly are many different approaches to biblical interpretation out there. My tradition (Anglican/Episcopalian) generally follows scholarly approaches which would, I believe, largely dismiss the notion that the wine in the story is not really an alcoholic beverage, as an attempt to read an anachronistic viewpoint into the text. This is a pitfall for everyone, even scholars, not just naive readers.

This thread isn't the right place for a debate on hermeneutics. However, I'm wanting to make it clear that in my opinion, it's not appropriate for any Christian to make definitive pronouncements about Christian viewpoints in this sort of setting. As a Christian myself - who has no objection to Sunday sales of alcohol and in fact favors them on grounds of fairness and equality - I have been dismayed by the pronouncements by some on this thread about what Christians believe.
Agreed. I am frustrated and should cease and desist. Politcs and religion always a sore topic for me.

I have a varied religious history--primarily Methodist, Presbyterian and Episcopalian. Not a great deal of difference in the denominations, jmo--lots of differences from individual practitioners. I easily tire of hearing--'This is what it says in the Bible'. Methodism as practiced by many in my family is based on what John Wesley said---basically live simply--don't waste your time or money. Why drink alcohol when you could drink water? To give you some idea of the origin of my beliefs. lol

Wine, water, bread--literally and figuratively were mentioned in the Bible. So what? And so what if the Founding Fathers drank alcohol--they did a lot of things--not all of them admirable--hopefully, I have enough of a mind to understand that. 'Learn from the mistakes of the past and don't repeat them'--yes, I believe in that.

A few posts ago--I also said--that because the nation is now diverse there are many Holy days--why agonize over Sunday--the sabbath to Christians, not the sabbath to Jews and others. If those who follow the Jewish faith have been coping with this issue since the founding of the nation--why can't Christians do the same. Then we went 'off track'--and here we are. Or here I am--babbling like a brook.

I am fairly certain that my local government--DeKalb county will approve the bill which will be fine with me. If a local government somewhere else in the state doesn't wish to approve the bill--also fine with me.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
What's the difference between a baptist and a methodist...............

The methodist will talk to you at the liquor store.
lol--Then if another Methodist sees that--he would talk to the first Methodist about being in a liquor store---perhaps planning to waste his money.

lol

All I can say is that things must be going pretty well for those who have the disposable income to purchase the alcohol. I would rather save my pennies--price of orange juice is too high and will no doubt increase due to the recent ice and snow ---delay of the transportation of goods because the state of Georgia couldn't afford to clear the roads. And so on.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:55 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Does this "bill" even exist yet?

Let's not kid ourselves. Despite what he may have said int he past, Nathan Deal will almost certainly oppose Sunday sales to the full extent, including veto.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:59 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

Let's not kid ourselves. Despite what he may have said int he past, Nathan Deal will almost certainly oppose Sunday sales to the full extent, including veto.
He was already on TV saying he wants to leave it up to local elections.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

ok--now we are back to the beginning--Nathan Deal/Conservatism.

Should make for exciting headlines in the AJC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta