Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 01:40 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times

Advertisements

Even if grocery stores were allowed to sell liquor (which they NEVER will be in this state), liquor stores would still have an advantage because they know their product. Grocery store employees know little to nothing about the beer and wine they stock. Lots of people go into liquor stores and ask for a recommendation for a nice wine choice, either for a dinner they're hosting or for a gift, or just to try something new. Or they'd like to try a somewhat exotic liquor and they need some tips. Any good liquor store is going to have employees that know their products and are eager to help. That will never be the case in the big grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:46 PM

40 posts, read 199,571 times
its a step in the right direction, now if we could just legalize it. maybe in 20 years when all of these crazy christains die off.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:50 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
One factor that will tend to keep things as they are in Tennessee where you can only buy hard liquor at a liquor store but not on Sundays or holidays is that there are so many established liquor store businesses that would instantly go out of business if they ever allowed supermarkets to sell those products.
For those of you who oppose Sunday alcohol sales I would simply suggest that you don't buy alcohol on Sundays if it ever becomes legal to do so. I see this as a personal choice and a matter of convenience. It also doesn't make any sense because if someone has the intention of drinking alcohol on Sunday then they're just going to get stocked up by Saturday so it doesn't really change anyone's behavior whatsoever.
I was surprised to read about all of the counties in Georgia that are dry. I'm originally from Montana and have lived in a few western states where this is unheard of and I'd thought that this practice had been abandoned many decades ago.
12/159 counties--considerable progress has been made in the past 279 years.

It would be interesting to see a timeline of how the changes occurred. It seems like North GA actually has more of the dry counties than South GA--to my surprise. One of the stronghold counties is on the GA/FL line---smack in the middle of nowhere. I suspect there is a good amount of alcohol consumption there--just get in the truck and drive to FL --certain that has been going on for a long time.
•Brooks County prohibits the sale of alcohol except beer and wine, with no sales on Sunday. The city of Quitman, within Brooks County, has allowed the sale of alcohol other than beer and wine in restaurants only since 2005. The new law was passed by Quitman voters despite fierce opposition from local religious and community leaders.
I hope we just get ourselves together and blast into the future. What a thought.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 01-27-2011 at 02:18 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Even if grocery stores were allowed to sell liquor (which they NEVER will be in this state), liquor stores would still have an advantage because they know their product. Grocery store employees know little to nothing about the beer and wine they stock. Lots of people go into liquor stores and ask for a recommendation for a nice wine choice, either for a dinner they're hosting or for a gift, or just to try something new. Or they'd like to try a somewhat exotic liquor and they need some tips. Any good liquor store is going to have employees that know their products and are eager to help. That will never be the case in the big grocery stores.
Truer words were never spoken. Good luck to anyone who needs anything at a grocery store--either you are self-sufficient enough to find it for yourself or you can just do without--that seems to be the prevailing customer service philosophy.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,100 times
Quote:
Well if you go into Publix to but wine you're on your own. They have a nice selection but no "sales" pelple per se. I worked in a liquor store in the 70's and while I was no wine or wiskey expert I had obtained a fair amount of knowledge and could at least assist customers. Grocery stores that sell liquor will always be a different animal from the traditional liquor store. But in a like sense, you can buy guitars and amps and associated items at Best Buy now, but it's not a music store and the sales people there are not musicians.

It still makes no sense to ban sales on one day out of the week.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Well if you go into Publix to but wine you're on your own. They have a nice selection but no "sales" pelple per se. I worked in a liquor store in the 70's and while I was no wine or wiskey expert I had obtained a fair amount of knowledge and could at least assist customers. Grocery stores that sell liquor will always be a different animal from the traditional liquor store. But in a like sense, you can buy guitars and amps and associated items at Best Buy now, but it's not a music store and the sales people there are not musicians.

It still makes no sense to ban sales on one day out of the week.
I was able to find a bottle of wine that I liked in Publix. Yeah me.

No real problem in my little niche--had I not been able to spot said bottle of wine at Publix I could have walked across the parking lot to a liquor store and asked for assistance and walked out in less than 5 minutes.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I was able to find a bottle of wine that I liked in Publix. Yeah me.

No real problem in my little niche--had I not been able to spot said bottle of wine at Publix I could have walked across the parking lot to a liquor store and asked for assistance and walked out in less than 5 minutes.
Well, I'm easy, only thing I drink is chianti wine with italian food (home made of course), I maybe get two or three bottles in a year. But I like to get the good stuff.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Well, I'm easy, only thing I drink is chianti wine with italian food (home made of course), I maybe get two or three bottles in a year. But I like to get the good stuff.
lol--I am fond of the Chateau Elan seasonal wines--fruity. It was Christmas--so I thought the Winter blend would be fun.
https://www.chateauelan.com/wine/

I noted that Publix also carried Bailey's and I think some kind of Amaretto--should the occasion arise.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:54 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
axemanjoe wrote:
Quote:
Well, I'm easy, only thing I drink is chianti wine with italian food
I hear that chianti is also good with liver and fava beans.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:25 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Grocery store employees know little to nothing about the beer and wine they stock. Lots of people go into liquor stores and ask for a recommendation for a nice wine choice, either for a dinner they're hosting or for a gift, or just to try something new. Or they'd like to try a somewhat exotic liquor and they need some tips. Any good liquor store is going to have employees that know their products and are eager to help. That will never be the case in the big grocery stores.
That may be changing.

The two Krogers we use both have knowledgeable wine consultants and a selection that would match most beer and wine stores. Whole Paycheck does a good job, too.

I agree that for the top of the line you'll still want to go to a handful of specialized wine shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta